What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. Didnt manage to keep in the 5s yesterday. i caved and had a snack, 6 before bedtime. Will reset ... today. Cheers.
@Canvaspics this is a marathon not a sprint and we all hit a wall at times. You are doing fine - could be like DJT and Kanye you also have dragon bloodo_O but you are definitely made of the right stuff

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Light supper last night after returning home late from work, resulting in a lower fasting number -- so 4.7 this morning.

@Jenniewren1958 -- Congrats on your lower HbA1c -- really well done.
@Granny_grump_ -- You are really doing well. Probably easy for me to say, but I wouldn't worry to much about fasting levels in the low 6s if you're spending the rest of the day in the 4s and 5s. Where will you go for your vacation? Wishing you loads of fun, you really deserve it.
@Canvaspic -- No worry, today is another day. All of us will stray from time to time. Good luck and hope this strategy will work for you.

Have a great Friday all.

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Good morning all. Light supper last night after returning home late from work, resulting in a lower fasting number -- so 4.7 this morning.

@Jenniewren1958 -- Congrats on your lower HbA1c -- really well done.
@Granny_grump_ -- You are really doing well. Probably easy for me to say, but I wouldn't worry to much about fasting levels in the low 6s if your spending the rest of the day in the 4s and 5s. Where will you go for your vacation? Wishing you loads of fun, you really deserve it.
@Canvaspic -- No worry, today is another day. All of us will stray from time to time. Good luck and hope this strategy will work for you.

Have a great Friday all.
@ziggy_w We go to Spain in May time Costa Del Sol area weather usually very pleasant without being too hot and lots of places to get around to on local transport,we've travelled all over in nearly 40 years but this area brings us back every year for last 10 years. It's the ease of travelling around we're not allday sunbathers we love to see the countries we visit, where do you go on holiday? K

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good morning Diabetes Massive. 4.6 this morning 35.5 hrs into fast with only double cream in tea and coffee. Currently on camomile tea so hope this doesn't wreck it. Who knew there was an egg fast diet? Very interesting read if only for recipes. https://lowcarbyum.com/egg-fast-diet-plan-recipes-weight-loss/
@Goonergal your stats will take some matching but I aim to give this another 24 hrs so end about now (6.40) Saturday morning @ 60 hrs.
I had considered giving this fasting malarkey a go but I think if I did after eating only 600 to 800 calories a day for nearly two years now and having lost over 8 stone my family would have me restrained under a section 2 if I started fasting now.

As it is I get daily lectures from my grandson on how I am too thin and don't eat enough protein. :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Granny_grump_

Sounds wonderful. It must be good to feel the sun on your body after a long winter. Haven't had an opportunity yet to see too much of Spain yet -- but had a work-related meeting in Granada a couple of years ago. Based on this, Spain seems to be a very beautiful country.

I spent many years working in different countries when I was a bit younger and I always enjoyed travelling. However, when we lived in Egypt, we brought a kitten home with us -- so it's a bit harder to travel now. We have taken a few brief city trips since to Amsterdam and to Brussels. Really enjoyed this. Maybe Paris after the semester is done. We even might be able to rent a place that allows pets -- allowing us to stay a bit longer.

Enjoy your time in Spain, Kathleen.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
5.6 today so even better than yesterday!
I took a reading just under an hour after breakfast though and it was 10.1
I normally only test after two hours, so is it okay to be this high after 55 minutes of eating?
Have to wait another half hour to test for the two hour one

(I retook my reading after the usual two hours, and it had come down to 6.2 so I guess everything is fine)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 at 5:45 this morning. Had a large glass of chablis with my dinner last night but pp reading was 7 so I don’t think it’s as dry as it tastes, and hasn’t brought fbg down. Switching back to red

@Jenniewren1958 great result on your HbA1c

@Granny_grump_ hope things are improving for you, May isn’t too far off now and you can relax properly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had considered giving this fasting malarkey a go but I think if I did after eating only 600 to 800 calories a day for nearly two years now and having lost over 8 stone my family would have me restrained under a section 2 if I started fasting now.

As it is I get daily lectures from my grandson on how I am too thin and don't eat enough protein. :)
John, by losing over 8 stone you have done enough I would say and fasting is not for you. Fasting, fbg, bg levels are only part of the picture, this requires a multi faceted approach from people like myself. I didn't get into my condition at dx overnight and I won't get out of it overnight. I also won't get to where I want to get just by chasing ever lower bg numbers or bmi - this is bigger picture stuff:pompous:

Reactions: millenium

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today so even better than yesterday!
I took a reading just under an hour after breakfast though and it was 10.1
I normally only test after two hours, so is it okay to be this high after 55 minutes of eating?
Have to wait another half hour to test for the two hour one

Unless I have this wrong (let me know folks) guidance says for T2, something like no more than 11 after one hour and no more than 7.8 after 2 hours. Could be different if you are meds.
Have a read here though;
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html