What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Unless I have this wrong (let me know folks) guidance says for T2, something like no more than 11 after one hour and no more than 7.8 after 2 hours. Could be different if you are meds.
Have a read here though;
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I think it should be 8.5 or below at 2 hours post meal after first bite. 7.8 or below is for normal, non diabetic, non glucose intolerance person.

It is good to focus on 2 hours after first bite reading as it has the most research.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 at 5:45 this morning. Had a large glass of chablis with my dinner last night but pp reading was 7 so I don’t think it’s as dry as it tastes, and hasn’t brought fbg down. Switching back to red

@Jenniewren1958 great result on your HbA1c

@Granny_grump_ hope things are improving for you, May isn’t too far off now and you can relax properly.

Hi @DJC3,

I believe a dry red wine is usually lower in carbs than a dry white wine. I order my wine from a website that also lists sugars per liter (remaining in the wine after fermentation). I find this information very helpful when deciding on the wine. Maybe, they could give you an idea about this too where you buy your wine. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs,

I am definitely treading in @DJC3's tracks here. One of the few guilty pleasures still open to us. My advantage of course is that I reorder my wine way before I am in danger of running out.
@ziggy_w We tend to go for offers of our tried and tested favourites but also pay into virgin wine bank where they helpfully add 20% to your monthly payment. We tend to use the fund for Christmas case (s). I have been pleased with everything I have sampled from them so its all gravy

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @Granny_grump_

Sounds wonderful. It must be good to feel the sun on your body after a long winter. Haven't had an opportunity yet to see too much of Spain yet -- but had a work-related meeting in Granada a couple of years ago. Based on this, Spain seems to be a very beautiful country.

I spent many years working in different countries when I was a bit younger and I always enjoyed travelling. However, when we lived in Egypt, we brought a kitten home with us -- so it's a bit harder to travel now. We have taken a few brief city trips since to Amsterdam and to Brussels. Really enjoyed this. Maybe Paris after the semester is done. We even might be able to rent a place that allows pets -- allowing us to stay a bit longer.

Enjoy your time in Spain, Kathleen.
@ziggy_w We went to Egypt a few years ago for our anniversary it was 94deg at night far too hot for us,hubby had a bad stomach whilst their needed a doctor so we won't be going back their,it's usually me who gets the tummy bugs.
We've done Amsterdam got a lovely diamond ring from their,went to Brussels and bought their wonderful Belgium chocolate and whilst crossing the square a circus elephant got a smell of it and was following me with its trunk wavering about, unknown to me it came up from behind me! Of course everyone around the square found it hilarious I just got the shock of my life ! But it was funny looking back now, not been to Paris done most of Italy and the lakes and islands,Hersonasis in Greece,Yugoslavia, Germany Bulgaria Costa Brava New York Turkey and some I cannot remember them all lots of traveling over the years.
Enjoyed most of them really love Italy and we are looking to see Rome again maybe next year but it's so expensive but that's Italy for you.But their is just something about Spain we love be it the sea or the city or the mountains so much to see and do,and it's only 2 hours or so on the plane suits us now!Hope you manage to find a place to rent where you can take your cat I'm sure online we've seen pets welcome on some properties,but enjoy wherever you go and chill along with us! Lovely talking with you look after each other,best wishes. Kathleen x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 at 8:30 carb binging carbs yesterday.. got totally stressed out from very low carbing... unfortunately... I´ll wait a bit before going that low again... maybe I´ll do the very low only twice a week ...my eczema get horrible ... and because I was stressed out I I scratched too much in it..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it should be 8.5 or below at 2 hours post meal after first bite. 7.8 or below is for normal, non diabetic, non glucose intolerance person.

It is good to focus on 2 hours after first bite reading as it has the most research.

here you can see what to strive for before and after meals , but it is better to go even lower
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

actually levels over 7.5 is where the damage is getting very bad over time and the very high spikes also do a lot of damage.... over time some so servere that they equals torture ...

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6.6 at 8:30 carb binging carbs yesterday.. got totally stressed out from very low carbing... unfortunately... I´ll wait a bit before going that low again... maybe I´ll do the very low only twice a week ...my eczema get horrible ... and because I was stressed out I I scratched too much in it..

Freema, I know what it is like to suffer from eczema because I have it too. Doctor prescribe hydrocortisone for my rashes. Try not to scratch as it get worse with scratching. I believe eczema is caused by allergy. My son had it too when we were living in London but it went away after we moved to Canada. No idea if the change of country made a difference. Another friend's daughter had very bad eczema in London but it went away when she moved to Malaysia. Must be coincidence and nothing to do with the moves.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freema, I know what it is like to suffer from eczema because I have it too. Doctor prescribe hydrocortisone for my rashes. Try not to scratch as it get worse with scratching. I believe eczema is caused by allergy. My son had it too when we were living in London but it went away after we moved to Canada. No idea if the change of country made a difference. Another friend's daughter had very bad eczema in London but it went away when she moved to Malaysia. Must be coincidence and nothing to do with the moves.

well I agree with you , about allergy, and lately, me eczema had gone better but I think because of not taking metformin and also eating oats in the morning again... in Denmark, there is too little selenium in the ground.. I don't know about GB .. but something could be different in what the soil contains of trace minerals maybe you all eat differently in Canada than when you lived in GB without noticing

maybe more greens ... and less polution..

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3,

I believe a dry red wine is usually lower in carbs than a dry white wine. I order my wine from a website that also lists sugars per liter (remaining in the wine after fermentation). I find this information very helpful when deciding on the wine. Maybe, they could give you an idea about this too where you buy your wine. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

@ziggy_w In my imagination @DJC3 has no time to stop and ask when there's wine to drink:angelic:

I’ve never seen that information over here Ziggy, interesting. I’ll do a bit of a search.
I’d like to think I’m not the sort of gal to neck the nearest bottle @ianpspurs but it really depends on the sort of day I’ve had.
It’s been an awful lot better since I retired I must say.