1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@ianpspurs, you have helped myself and others a lot so I’m sad to say I’m not nearly experienced enough to help you with an answer, but I understand your plight. I like a bit of control and to be doing everything so right but still have confusing numbers is horrid for you. Do I understand correctly that your numbers would be about the same if you had got up earlier and not had brekkie? In that case , surely it’s fine. Your body processes have not adjusted to your later waking. If I’m wrong about it all I can say is try to ride it out and be patient. We are often harshest with ourselves, try to think how you would advise someone else with the same problem. Chin up sweetie x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Thanks @flexi06. Yes, my fbg is what my brekkie time level would be and at the same time. What is happening is my daily average is going from highish 4s to mid 5s with a peak of 5.66. The effect is to drive up my 3 month average from 5.1 to closer to 5.2. Not bad but a trend I want to arrest asap. Much of controlling this comes down to the law of small numbers. :angelic:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #26762 ianpspurs, Jun 2, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. ianpspurs

Thanks @flexi06. Yes, my fbg is what my brekkie time level would be and at the same time. What is happening is my daily average is going from highish 4s to mid 5s with a peak of 5.66. The effect is to drive up my 3 month average from 5.1 to closer to 5.2. Not bad but a trend I want to arrest asap. Much of controlling this comes own to the law of small numbers. :angelic:

4. flexi06

I see - but surely ur average is up if you are missing out on a low fbg in the morning so bringing the average up- what about not averaging- but looking at individual numbers- are they also higher individually? And is this also due to different timings etc?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. ianpspurs

@flexi06 All readings are higher than they "should be" i.e. past patterns have been lower. I average each reading over 3 months and everything right now is .3 to .5 up. Illness can do that to me and the sleeping longer would be in line with that but other measures such as resting pulse rate don't. Just a little confused as to how to get back to standard without fasting.

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. flexi06

Hmmm ok I’m stumped- but I do hope that if you are patient and keep doing what you know is right , it rights itself when you feel a little better. R u keto? Is that all normal numbers?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. flexi06

This is such a small rise sweetie and I know “ nip it in the bud” and all that but it seems most likely it’s due to u not feeling on top health wise. I think you should at least wait till you are completely better and then see if it adjusts- put a date on it if it helps you - like say you won’t let yourself worry about it until mid June or if it goes up by a whole number. Be gentle with yourself x

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ianpspurs

@flexi06 I only give that kind of advice I don't apply to myself:rolleyes: I really do get the waiting advice but my nearest and dearest would tell you patience was missed out of my genetic makeup:angelic: It is starting to look as though I am far more like my late dad than I ever imagined:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. flexi06

Lol we all end up like our parents ( but we’re better versions of course- I always tell my son he is me 2.0 but really he’s a much superior version)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Goodnight everyone going to bed with a BG of 7.1 tonight

• Like Like x 9
  11. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

4:50am, 5.6mmol.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
  12. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight sleep well everyone

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Nighty night all

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. flexi06

Morning little posse, a mildly irritating 6.0 today- cannot say why - better tomorrow I hope

• Like Like x 10
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Morning all. It’s 4.2 for me today. Off to Heathrow shortly to meet my sister who is spending a day in London on her way to my dad’s. She lives in Thailand so don’t get to see her very often.

@ianpspurs totally get your frustration - I’m the same. But could it just be that testing at different times is reflecting numbers that you were getting before but not seeing? My HbA1c is always higher than my home testing average would suggest despite a thorough testing regime. Could be that I’m missing some highs, or that I spend longer at the higher numbers than some of the lower ones or that I’m a high glycator.

@flexi06 sure you’ll quickly get a handle on lower carbs - in many ways easier as you just avoid many things.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 5
  16. Alien Aspie

Alien Aspie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.8 today and back to work, at least it's Sunday so it should be a calm return ;)

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning all

4.2 today

Yesterday's 'sugar free' ice cream was a nice treat , reading were 6.5 after 1 hour and 5.9 after 2 hrs. When I asked for a small what I got was a small tub filled with two types, I asked again if it was sugar free and she told me "yes, both" . They were vanilla and a sort of creamy caramel flavour. A bit sweet for me, I don't eat a lot of sweet stuff any more, but very rich and tasty. I'll have to have a bash at it myself when I get home

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

5.3 today just got to try and get my daytime numbers back down to more normal levels now.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
  19. ianpspurs

Good fbg @Goonergal and thanks for the suggestions. Obviously as I don't have a CGM I don't have the full picture and these readings could be filling in some gaps. It is just that there is a pattern emerging and normal protocols don't seem to be working as they did. Anyhow, 5.3 today which is ok by itself just .5 or so up from when everything is right.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #26779 ianpspurs, Jun 3, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  20. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

5.7 this morning.
    Cruise begins today. 7 restaurants onboard- should be interesting.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook