What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs Do I understand correctly that your numbers would be about the same if you had got up earlier and not had brekkie? In that case , surely it’s fine. Your body processes have not adjusted to your later waking. If I’m wrong about it all I can say is try to ride it out and be patient. We are often harshest with ourselves, try to think how you would advise someone else with the same problem. Chin up sweetie x
Thanks @flexi06. Yes, my fbg is what my brekkie time level would be and at the same time. What is happening is my daily average is going from highish 4s to mid 5s with a peak of 5.66. The effect is to drive up my 3 month average from 5.1 to closer to 5.2. Not bad but a trend I want to arrest asap. Much of controlling this comes down to the law of small numbers. :angelic:

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs Do I understand correctly that your numbers would be about the same if you had got up earlier and not had brekkie? In that case , surely it’s fine. Your body processes have not adjusted to your later waking. If I’m wrong about it all I can say is try to ride it out and be patient. We are often harshest with ourselves, try to think how you would advise someone else with the same problem. Chin up sweetie x
Thanks @flexi06. Yes, my fbg is what my brekkie time level would be and at the same time. What is happening is my daily average is going from highish 4s to mid 5s with a peak of 5.66. The effect is to drive up my 3 month average from 5.1 to closer to 5.2. Not bad but a trend I want to arrest asap. Much of controlling this comes own to the law of small numbers. :angelic:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see - but surely ur average is up if you are missing out on a low fbg in the morning so bringing the average up- what about not averaging- but looking at individual numbers- are they also higher individually? And is this also due to different timings etc?

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see - but surely ur average is up if you are missing out on a low fbg in the morning so bringing the average up- what about not averaging- but looking at individual numbers- are they also higher individually? And is this also due to different timings etc?
@flexi06 All readings are higher than they "should be" i.e. past patterns have been lower. I average each reading over 3 months and everything right now is .3 to .5 up. Illness can do that to me and the sleeping longer would be in line with that but other measures such as resting pulse rate don't. Just a little confused as to how to get back to standard without fasting.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm ok I’m stumped- but I do hope that if you are patient and keep doing what you know is right , it rights itself when you feel a little better. R u keto? Is that all normal numbers?

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is such a small rise sweetie and I know “ nip it in the bud” and all that but it seems most likely it’s due to u not feeling on top health wise. I think you should at least wait till you are completely better and then see if it adjusts- put a date on it if it helps you - like say you won’t let yourself worry about it until mid June or if it goes up by a whole number. Be gentle with yourself x

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol we all end up like our parents ( but we’re better versions of course- I always tell my son he is me 2.0 but really he’s a much superior version)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. It’s 4.2 for me today. Off to Heathrow shortly to meet my sister who is spending a day in London on her way to my dad’s. She lives in Thailand so don’t get to see her very often.

@ianpspurs totally get your frustration - I’m the same. But could it just be that testing at different times is reflecting numbers that you were getting before but not seeing? My HbA1c is always higher than my home testing average would suggest despite a thorough testing regime. Could be that I’m missing some highs, or that I spend longer at the higher numbers than some of the lower ones or that I’m a high glycator.

@flexi06 sure you’ll quickly get a handle on lower carbs - in many ways easier as you just avoid many things.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all

4.2 today

Yesterday's 'sugar free' ice cream was a nice treat , reading were 6.5 after 1 hour and 5.9 after 2 hrs. When I asked for a small what I got was a small tub filled with two types, I asked again if it was sugar free and she told me "yes, both" . They were vanilla and a sort of creamy caramel flavour. A bit sweet for me, I don't eat a lot of sweet stuff any more, but very rich and tasty. I'll have to have a bash at it myself when I get home

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs totally get your frustration - I’m the same. But could it just be that testing at different times is reflecting numbers that you were getting before but not seeing? My HbA1c is always higher than my home testing average would suggest
Good fbg @Goonergal and thanks for the suggestions. Obviously as I don't have a CGM I don't have the full picture and these readings could be filling in some gaps. It is just that there is a pattern emerging and normal protocols don't seem to be working as they did. Anyhow, 5.3 today which is ok by itself just .5 or so up from when everything is right.

Last edited: