What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all - late posting as I was reading a few things generally related to this mad riddle (TM Danny Dyer Inc 2018) of old gits health. Fbg was 6 which is very high but seems to be virus related. In case anyone cares, the pieces I was reading were on Vitamin B12 deficiency (common side effect of Metformin there are others inc statins and anti inflammatory NSAIs) and effects of eating too little/fasting particularly raising cholesterol.
Shared in spirit of hopefully being useful in making sense of the mad riddle of the raft of data we now have access to, rather than adding stress.
@JohnEGreen I think we are actually "on the same page" (you can take the boy out of management but ....) The page being the one which says your body will need to be treated differently as you make the major changes many here are making. The HCP advice assumes failure to make changes and steadily worsening control. Many on here are effectively "normal, healthy" people and may need to recalibrate when they reach that point - at least them's my onions.
Hi Ian

I'm in a fairly similar situation..... My doctor says "I'm cured".... This is blatantly not true , mind you little advise from the NHS has been. My regime now consists of walking 10,000 steps per day, cycling to the shops and eating low carbs . I've tried my old style foods , ie porridge in the morning which spikes me to over 8 for 4 hours . However I now blood test a lot less than I used to though. Usually just once a day now, but more if I'm curious about why things are getting higher.... I did go for about 6 months without testing and was surprised that my morning levels had gone up from 5's to 6's , just a small creep I know but something which I personally would like to have more control over. I dont think there are definitive answers though, just a suck it and see approach.....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did go for about 6 months without testing and was surprised that my morning levels had gone up from 5's to 6's , just a small creep I know but something which I personally would like to have more control over. I dont think there are definitive answers though, just a suck it and see approach.....
Thanks @OrsonKartt It is interesting to hear from yourself and others. I was definitely not advocating dropping testing or returning to old dietary habits. I was hinting at the use of fasting for 2-3 days and back to back OMAD days. I feel I may benefit from the higher end of keto range 30-40 gms carb but split into 4 meals or meals and snacks. I agree with the 10k+ steps and some HIIT sessions plus I have spent the past year learning to swim and intend to continue lessons next term.
As you say suck it and see - we are all different but I do feel Boot Camp worked at first but something more subtle is needed for the long term or other areas of health and wellbeing will suffer.

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all - late posting as I was reading a few things generally related to this mad riddle (TM Danny Dyer Inc 2018) of old gits health. Fbg was 6 which is very high but seems to be virus related. In case anyone cares, the pieces I was reading were on Vitamin B12 deficiency (common side effect of Metformin there are others inc statins and anti inflammatory NSAIDs) and effects of eating too little/fasting particularly on raising cholesterol.
Shared in spirit of hopefully being useful in making sense of the mad riddle of the raft of data we now have access to, rather than adding stress.
Just out of interest, when my mother's B12 test showed a deficiency the GP put her on a 3 month course of tablets as he said the main cause was dietary then when the repeat test showed no improvement he organised Vit B12 injections starting with an initial course of 6 on alternative days then 3 monthly.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Good night everyone 6.5 tonight just getting into bed to settle down with a good book big day ahead tommorow I’ll hopefully find out what’s going on with my stomach and bowel have a nice night all

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to basics after 1 weeks holidays , where I did have a lot of sinful foods like pizza and ice cream and some bread , yesterday also back to gym burned 2200 calories ate 2300 so I think my adrenaline also spikes me up this morning with a number of 6.9 mmol hope to be lower tomorrow

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice cool start here today but predicted to rise to a very nice 24/25 later. 5.6 for me today so no need to panic but worth monitoring. Getting all my key markers in a row is proving a problem. Resting pulse rate now 60, sleep more unknown as fitbit picks up restlessness from Mrs P. Hope all goes well for @Ziggy2017 and @dunelm France obviously suits you sir - just to be nosey whereabouts are you? @DJC3 Really pleased everything went well for you yesterday.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all,

Grey skies here but a met office promise of blue skies later. 5.6 this morning which is exactly where it was when I went to bed. ....I took another multi vitamin with my coffee this morning , more as a good luck charm than anything else as it certainly didn't hurt yesterday! Have a great day all....

Last edited: