1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all,
    I found my handbag yesterday and did a little dance. Obviously it was the wrong one, madam's shot up to 7.8. It may well have been the Montezuma's absolute black that did it:banghead::arghh:
    Have to get on my bike

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  2. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

5.4 today, stay warm everyone.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 7
  3. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Morning all 6.2 today didn’t move about enough yesterday.
    Wondering which Christmas jumper to wear? Choices choices.
    Bloke finally coming to fix our chimney this afternoon so the kitchen doesn’t flood everytime it rains. Fingers crossed it stays dry.

• Like Like x 11
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are sunbathing, don't forget the suncream.
    Been absent again sorry, but I can report a 5.4 on the meter this morning and our recycling dustbins have been emptied.
    On a sad note, Mrs J has just staggered down stairs and in a few seconds will be issuing my instructions for the day. I shall nod attentively not listen to word, while hoping she soon goes out to the day leaving me unsupervised hehehehe

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 5
  5. trick60

trick60 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

5.3 this a.m, have a nice day everyone.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

6.3 which I would normally be disappointed with. But on going to bed it was 7.8 so I'm actually twerking here ar the 6.3!!!

Full of a cold. But feel slightly better than I did yesterday so all good :)

Happy Friday folks.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Where do you get Montezuma's absolute black from.

Is it Keto supplements UK I have not seen it in any shops around here.

https://ketosupplements.co.uk

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7.7 this morning i think an ND stint is round the corner

• Hug Hug x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  9. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Morning All. 6.3 this morning. Out to a kindof Christmas lunch yesterday just had one course chicken pan fried with exotic mushrooms, green cabbage and crispy kale. In the evening had 3 scrambled eggs.
    Happy Christmas jumper day one and all. Stay well, get better, stay safe and hypo free.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
  10. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @JohnEGreen I bought my last lot from Sainsbury's but I've also seen it in Morrisons but we haven't got one in Oxford
    It's great choc as there's only 8g per 100g, 100% cocoa so takes some getting used to but I love it

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

3.1 at 5am despite titrating down basal

Got it up to 5.8 and went back to bed

I’m currently at 4.6

Have a very good day all

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  12. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Keep an eye on that cumbs x

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Quote for today FB_IMG_1544026416164.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Roulis

Roulis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all. Hope everyone is well! It is cold, but brilliant sunshine in Leicestershire so far!! I am a bit puzzled and wondered whether anyone may be able to advise? There may be similar question already answered in the forum but I haven't had any luck in finding the thread as yet! In between meals during the day my levels hover in the late mmol/L 4s - 4.6 to 4.8. 90 to 120 minutes after first bite the levels hovering between 5.8 to 6.1. This morning, after approximately 8 hours sleep, I woke up, and before I put anything in my mouth, I thought to my self, lets test the BG for the first time? The result was mmol/L 5.6. How does that work then? I get lower readings in between meals (say 4 hours between meals) but first thing in the morning after a long night's sleep, the reading is higher? Is there something that I missing here? Does anyone have any feedback on this please? many thanks! Best wishes to all. Theo

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #37554 Roulis, Dec 14, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  15. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Hi @Roulis many people have higher bg readings first thing in the morning. It's usually due to 'Dawn Phenomenon', or the Somoji Effect, where your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream as you wake to give you an energy boost as you get going.
    Non-diabetics can get it too. Your's aren't too high. As long as it is 7 or under it's ok.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. Roulis

Roulis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense now! Have a good afternoon. best wishes . Theo.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  17. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep. Perfectly normal. The liver can manufacture glucose from liver glycogen, amino acids or even fatty acids if it needs to. Otherwise people would die in their sleep. Dawn phenomenon is a result of hormonal signaling for your liver to secrete glucose in order to give you the energy to wake from sleep and start your day. I believe mostly cortisol and adrenaline, but I’m unsure.

Sweet numbers by the way! :D

• Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #37557 Jim Lahey, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  18. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

LOL @karen8967 I love that poster -- not only is it a good thought for the day but it reminds me of my neighbor who I've been told actually does the former when being driven in another neighbor's car.

@ianpspurs why must I stir my beverage anticlockwise? Or is that just for lefties? (I wish I'd read your post before I made my coffee! :D) Have a wonderful time with your grandchildren.

6.6 this foggy morning. The street outside is wet so I'm extra-glad I mailed my present to Hawaii friend yesterday. This time of year walking in a light wind is preferable to walking in mist.

I never heard of Christmas jumper day before and I don't even have one but I do have some new red sweatpants that I can wear with my Christmas socks to the Advent class today.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all,

I've been fasting - yesterday morning was 5.6 and I prefer to be 4.0 - 5.4. Fasting seems to reset my numbers when they are trending up (I'm fortunate that I don't get elevated numbers due to dawn phenomena but if my morning number is higher, it tends to stay higher throughout that day).

As well, I still have weight to lose, (it helps with that as well) I'm getting close to that psychological barrier of 200 lbs. I'm now wearing size 16 pants for the first time since my daughter was born (she'll be 32 on Jan 3rd), I started at 3X (24) 4 sizes bigger.

This morning I awoke a tad low 3.9 (prefer to be 4.0 or higher). I just finished breakfast.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 7
  20. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm.a screamer! Have you ever been on the big one in Blackpool. If so you will know why :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook