What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had to give up a number of dishes I loved (biryani, dosa, samosas,naan and the desserts and sweets but I still have butter chicken, tandoori, many of the vegetable dishes (except for aloo/potato) and kebabs. .

DOSA's.....say it ain't so CC.:woot:

Good info, CC.

love the indian foods., love the dosa's.

we are off to goa in march/april...so plotting & planning what to avoid while there (1st time since DX )
really thought, that due to the light nature of dosa's it might be ok.
( oh, well if i have to pick the dosa out, then i have to pick it out..:D )

i figured the naan, rotas, chapattis, samosa's were a big fat NO, already..

i'll just have to enjoy all those lovely curries and find ways to replace the rice & breads
or go all hippie.....:hilarious:

(must say i do like the veggies how the indians do them..just have to be careful and test, religiously )

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone well and had a good day.
Meant to post this this am but got sidetracked and only just remembered that I hadn’t reported it
Had 4s all day yesterday and 3.9 just now pre dinner and this morning first thing was 4.4. As I’ve got a cold I expected them to be higher! Will see what tomorrow brings. Meanwhile hope everyone has a good evening. Will try and remember in the morning!

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DOSA's.....say it ain't so CC.
love the indian foods., love the dosa's.

we are off to goa in march/april...so plotting & planning what to avoid while there (1st time since DX )
really thought, that due to the light nature of dosa's it might be ok.
( oh, well if i have to pick the dosa out, then i have to pick it out..:D )

i figured the naan, rotas, chapattis, samosa's were a big fat NO, already..

Sounds wonderful. Goa is supposed to be beautiful. My son-in-law's father works for the railway so my SIL saw a lot of India before coming to Canada. If you go about 400 miles south, you have the Keralan backwaters which I've heard are gorgeous. https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-visit-kerala-backwaters-1539470

Goa was a Portuguese colony so they have a lot of meat curries (vindaloo traditionally has a bit of palm sugar/jaggery to counteract the vinegar in it.) Pork and beef can be found in Goa easily and are often served unlike the rest of India. Since they are on the coast, they have a lot of seafood.
Goan cuisine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goan_cuisine
https://www.holidify.com/pages/goan-food-132.html
https://www.goaexperience.co.uk/blog/goan-cuisine

A lot of the south Indian vegetarian dishes are very high carb because they use grains (especially rice flour).

It's rather hard to pick out dosas - they are usually quite large and cover most of your plate :) They are like crepes but crispy and usually bigger - I've had dosas that were several feet long! The reason why dosa isn't good for blood glucose is that it's mostly made from rice flour mixed with some ground lentils (lentils spike many diabetics, not all). As well, masala dosa is stuffed with potato/aloo. Most south Indian vegetarian dishes are very heavy on the grains so I avoid them - upma, updapam, idlies called sanna in Goa (made from rice flour again). Although these dishes are served through the day, they are especially popular for breakfast.

As well the fried snacks like vadas mostly use rice flour (some variations use other grain flours or dried beans) . As I spike with lentils and dried beans, I also avoid sambar (a lentil stew) and beans/dals (pappu)

Generally speaking north Indian food is considerably easier to eat low carb than south Indian. :( If you find Christian or Muslim owned establishments (about 1/4 of people in Goa are Roman Catholic), they are much more likely to have meat on the menu. Most south Indian Hindus are vegetarians and therefore most of their dishes are rice or grain based and high carb.

Have fun, wish I was joining you :)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chronicle_Cat good luck with the tests I’m sure they will not be disappointing. Hello too to @SaskiaKC. I have had a busy day lots of errands. We think we need new carpet downstairs so went to the local store and got four sample squares but OMG Bobs and Daisy have attacked them like they were vermin. They samples defo need to be put down on the floor under strict supervision!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just spent several minutes enjoying looking at the Kerala Backwaters and Vembanad Lake, from which I followed a link to the "world's best beaches," saw pictures of a beach in the Philippines, and just returned from a virtual tour of a resort in San Diego.

Thanks for the link and the virtual world tour, @Chronicle_Cat ! ;) and @jjraak, an early Bon Voyage to you! That 400-mile journey to Kerala -- now that would be a road trip I would love to take sometime. Also the 4-hour run I saw online the other day from Phoenix to Las Vegas. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, yes another Monday . I woke to a 5.8 ... I've been thinking a bit after much reading and watching lectures about the implication of being a type 2, albeit one who has some control. The research says that heightened blood sugar puts me at a higher risk of having a heart attack. There is a test which I'm thinking of asking for but wondered if anyone here had done this on the NHS. .... https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/coronary-calcium-scan#1

@OrsonKartt I believe @bulkbiker had one of those done and possibly @Brunneria

Editing to say apologies, replied before I’d got through the whole thread.

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...anti-coagulant clinic this morning hoping for a good INR level...keen to stretch out the time between those appointments...sipping hot coffee...watching the news...no doubt I'll spring into action at any moment (I hope)...woke to a 5.8

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yes they are checking. I think the issue is (I understand) most type 1 have bloods in the 20s if not treated and mine don’t go that high.

Hopefully the peptide and islet tests will give a better indication and I can get the treatement I need :)
Hi @SB.25 I'm not sure if I understand your post. I'm T1 and my BG is in range for most of the time, never in the 20s.
Having said that Madam BG rocked in at 7.2 after an awful night's sleep with leg cramps

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SB.25 I'm not sure if I understand your post. I'm T1 and my BG is in range for most of the time, never in the 20s
Hi SueJB apologies if I wasn’t clear and maybe I am incorrect. The doctors have said to me they are not really sure if I am type 1 as they felt that if I was not on insulin, then my bloods would be higher than present (I.e in the 20s or higher. Of course, I am aware type 1’s manage to control it and not get to those levels all the time. Hope that makes sense!

Managed to get slightly better fasting results today - got 11.9 which is the lowest it’s been in 2 weeks (although still too high!).

And funnily enough that was with eating a chocolate coin before bed - I know seems a bit odd. A type 1 my mum knows recommended trying to have a little something before bed to give the pancreas something to work on over night. Not sure if it would work but it is the best result I’ve had in 2 weeks so maybe it did ..... on the other hand it could just be a fluke lol!