What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs when I first got diagnosed I bought a pot of ketone strips to wee on but question the accuracy of them. In the first 3 weeks of LCHF it always used to put my ketones around 4 which I didn’t know whether was good or to be concerned with. It just gives you a colour range and says it has to be after exactly a set amount of seconds as after a couple of minutes every strip seems to end up the same colour so in the end I gave up. I had looked into blood ketone monitors but at the minute with how many BG strips I was using daily in honesty I didn’t want to fork out for one :banghead: but now I feel a little more comfortable and less obsessive with my constant BG tests the money I’m saving on strips I could well treat myself to a new gadget :D
Caresensduo from spirit healthcare is the one I use - and also do my bgs with it too - but only test my ketones once a week as 1 pound per strip. Meter comes with a few free ones. Think @Goonergal researched cheaper ketone meter strips and I think has another meter? @Goonergal any ideas? Below is link to bg and ketones meter I use it seems to reflect my hbaca1 too last time bothvery close see
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CareSens-Dual-Fact-sheet.pdf

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Caresensduo from spirit healthcare is the one I use - and also do my bgs with it too - but only test my ketones once a week as 1 pound per strip. Meter comes with a few free ones. Think @Goonergal researched cheaper ketone meter strips and I think has another meter? @Goonergal any ideas? Below is link to bg and ketones meter I use it seems to reflect my hbaca1 too last time bothvery close see
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CareSens-Dual-Fact-sheet.pdf
I have the same meter and take readings from time to time - actually have absolutely no idea what use they are but it keeps me from harming livestock while I do it.
Guardian running with this story https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-cut-heart-disease-risk-landmark-study-finds which may shake a few BUT I ran 30 gms chia seeds, 45 gms flaxseeds and 2 avocados through analysis and found 37 gms fibre and 20 gms carbs. Looks like my salad, with chia seeds topping, and a CCB + flaxseed crispbread just about do the trick for fibre.
I would add that my bg levels are positively uncontrolled compared to many who are properly LC so I am not a good guide of any of this,

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Good morning everyone. Up a bit today at 8.2, not unexpected as I am dropping half my glicazide dose. Assembling book cases this afternoon after we have done the food shopping. These are lovely cases but they do put up a bit of a fight when we are trying to put them together! Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday and you are all looking forward to a good weekend.

P

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same meter and take readings from time to time - actually have absolutely no idea what use they are but it keeps me from harming livestock while I do it.
Guardian running with this story https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-cut-heart-disease-risk-landmark-study-finds which may shake a few BUT I ran 30 gms chia seeds, 45 gms flaxseeds and 2 avocados through analysis and found 37 gms fibre and 20 gms carbs. Looks like my salad, with chia seeds topping, and a CCB + flaxseed crispbread just about do the trick for fibre.
I would add that my bg levels are positively uncontrolled compared to many who are properly LC so I am not a good guide of any of this,
THeres an interesting thread about this but like you I do tend to keep my fibre up with inulin, high fibre baking ingredients plus seeds and some veggies etc
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/the-guardian.160142/page-2
Interesting to see where the research originated!

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine

That article is written by Sarah Bosely who is actively biased against LCHF. It’s clearly garbage to equate fibre and carbs but she is using the WHO study to poke a stick at something she is opposed to. In an earlier article she has called low carb a cultish fad.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That article is written by Sarah Bosely who is actively biased against LCHF. It’s clearly garbage to equate fibre and carbs but she is using the WHO study to poke a stick at something she is opposed to. In an earlier article she has called low carb a cultish fad.
IMHO we all need to be vary wary of racing to the fake news/the elite silo the moment something needs some analysing. Pretty sure there is common ground between LC and more fibre. Really can't see how the LCHF movement can be the only pure part of the C21st WOE tribes. Too many family traits with populism to be squeaky clean - again IMHO:)

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
IMHO we all need to be vary wary of racing to the fake news/the elite silo the moment something needs some analysing. Pretty sure there is common ground between LC and more fibre. Really can't see how the LCHF movement can be the only pure part of the C21st WOE tribes.

I agree with your principle Ian. However, Boseley has taken a study about fibre and turned it into a headline about Low Carb. Which she has done for two reasons: i) to make it more controversial: conflict sells copy. ii) her default stance is anti low carb. Here is one of her previous articles on the subject:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-nonsense-the-rise-of-the-cholesterol-deniers

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez everything you write makes perfect sense to me and unlike many you are able to inject your enthusiasm into the facts and ways to improve Diabetes. That is very important to hold people’s attention. So talk it as you post it here and it will be great. I dont think you realise you have this gift so dont worry about it and just be yourself. It might be a slow sell but when word gets round there is another way it will be full to the rafters. I am sure of it. Go girl, you are fab!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

An interesting article. Cherry picking studies?
I eat low carb but don’t get hung up about it. I also consider portion size and time of day (currently only 800 calaries between 12 noon and 8pm). For fibre I go mainly for broccoli, nuts, seeds, berries, beans and lentils. With beans, lentils and the odd small jacket potatoes I cook the day before and chill overnight to boost residual starch and reduce carbs.
Flax crackers - what a good idea, do you make your own?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez everything you write makes perfect sense to me and unlike many you are able to inject your enthusiasm into the facts and ways to improve Diabetes. That is very important to hold people’s attention. So talk it as you post it here and it will be great. I dont think you realise you have this gift so dont worry about it and just be yourself. It might be a slow sell but when word gets round there is another way it will be full to the rafters. I am sure of it. Go girl, you are fab!
That actually made me cry! And I'm standing in the middle of the library letting my grandaughter play on the slide! Thank you for your kind words. You have no idea how much they mean to me xxx

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with your principle Ian. However, Boseley has taken a study about fibre and turned it into a headline about Low Carb. Which she has done for two reasons: i) to make it more controversial: conflict sells copy. ii) her default stance is anti low carb. Here is one of her previous articles on the subject:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-nonsense-the-rise-of-the-cholesterol-deniers
I don't for a second count you in the category but my goodness there is a strong burn the witch squad on here if people don't fully endorse LCHF. That serves none of us well. @dunelm we make flaxseed crispbread and high fibre bars

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't for a second count you in the category but my goodness there is a strong burn the witch squad on here if people don't fully endorse LCHF. That serves none of us well. @dunelm we make flaxseed crispbread and high fibre bars
Thanks Ian. Do you have recipes posted?

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian. Do you have recipes posted?
Since I rebuilt my chromebook lots of files have gone walkies temporarily but I am tagging @shelley262, @Goonergal and @Tori71 who may forward you the LC cookbook which will have seeded crackers, high fibre chocolate bars and towards the end @Mbaker 's link to a video of how to make flaxseed bread. Hope that all helps

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and jjraak