What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before even reading your reply I wrote 'money is the root of all evil '.
Without sounding patronising or condescending Debandez...I wonder how many patients realise their GP practices are not salaried employees of the NHS..essentially they are private partnerships with NHS contracts...clearly there has to be control of how budgets are set/spent... that's the remit of the local CCGs who's members can have six figure salaries...however I would have thought value for money would be essential...quality control essential...could the awful advice regularly churned out on dietary choices for T2's come within those two categories...NO...the lack of alternative diets to manage BG's...the archaic DESMOND courses which seem to be gold standard courses for the newly diagnosed T2's...the refusal to provide testing strips...the trite old excuses used to justify not providing good solid consistent care & advice for T2's...private enterprise has been in our health service 'silently' for many years...you're right money is the root of all evil...it talks!

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning prick and tell aficionados all. Still "On Tour", still winter but one day Aslan will come. Real mixture of tales of today. @PenguinMum so sorry to hear about the eye problems and add my wishes for speedy solution. @philchap1 is that level low for a type 1? @Bubbsie sorry for GP/receptionist related issues. Not sure who feel concerned for most, you or the staff. @Inchindown that sounds like a horrendous night. @Emma_369 hope your little one soon recovers.
Enjoy Thursday folks - doesn't this have a name yet, how slack.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like they've gone all "prince Philip"...hahaha .
Prince Phillip lives in his ivory tower John...overprivileged...doesn't live in the real world...I choose to liken our practice them the to Trump Administration...lets build a wall around the surgery and keep those pesky patients out...lets 'trumple' them into submission..

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry for GP/receptionist related issues. Not sure who feel concerned for most, you or the staff.
Yes I appreciate that sentiment ian...the poor loves...yesterday the practice manager explained why her receptionist slammed the phone down...ooh was it because I was abusive "No"...did I breach the zero tolerance policy "No"...why?...because she felt the conversation was going nowhere...so when I next have to ring the practice...I'll go through my repertoire and make sure I have something interesting & entertaining for them...then when they least expect it...I'll hit them with a whammy & ask for an appointment or a call back;)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning prick and tell aficionados all. Still "On Tour", still winter but one day Aslan will come. Real mixture of tales of today. @PenguinMum so sorry to hear about the eye problems and add my wishes for speedy solution. @philchap1 is that level low for a type 1? @Bubbsie sorry for GP/receptionist related issues. Not sure who feel concerned for most, you or the staff. @Inchindown that sounds like a horrendous night. @Emma_369 hope your little one soon recovers.
Enjoy Thursday folks - doesn't this have a name yet, how slack.
Between 4 and 7 is the target.

Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.6 at 0800 according to Codefree. Yesterday I went to an independent optician after struggling for the past 6 weeks with my new glasses from a high street chain who werent interested in my problems. Anyway turns out I have a significant bleed behind right eye and have an urgent referral to hospital. I am so disappointed after more than a year of good control and it is the second bleed same eye in just over a year.
Anyway hope you are all ok. Have a good Thursday almost the weekend.
Stay well, safe and warm.
We always use an independent optician and can pop in any time for things like the odd adjustment, new hinge screws and a chat about anything worrying with eyesight.
Hope your urgent referral is urgently acknowledged. Push them if you feel that they are slacking, things do go astray.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Late on the forum again but 5.8 earlier. - On the heating front I've just discovered smokeless coal. Amazingly in this age of post truth it actually does what it says. Its such a pleasant surprise in our times where marketing means anything can mean anything to find one small thing that actually is what it says it is.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"... and that was "all you need is love", by the fabulous Beatles.

right the studio clocks says..it just gone ten, so time for a weather update..

I've just spoken to Alexa our weather Girl and she says..( i love that accent and the new covers, very nice )

"Wrap up warm, it's a bitter day here in London, 0 degrees, and dark skies predict snow, in the next few minutes.."

so if your out, stay warm & safe,
and if you in..why not snuggle down for a while with a nice hot drink and join us here, on Radio DCUK for a little company and comfort on this cold, cold day..

We asked for your BEST of......and today postbag was bulging .

Sorry,.... you are ALL winners, but we can only draw so many.:sorry:

The first out of the hat, were. @JohnEGreen , @Roulis and @Bubbsie,
who's having a bumpy ride at the moment and a cold on the way to boot...
get better soon @Bubbsie .(.loving the new avatar..),

Well done to all of you !!

but today's star post is....... @Charis1213 ..

a little bird tells me @Charis1213 has been feeling a little down, feeling like a bit of a Loser lately.,

well today, let me tell you @Charis1213 ... Today you are a WINNER

( we also took a straw poll of your OLF's and they all say the same lovely thing about you ...YOU are a WINNER.)

So just for you all, here is the 5.0 club video.....

Hula hoops at the ready..in 3,2,1..Go

I love that old stuff..

I also joined in, with the studio sounds team, as i got a 5.5 this morning.

have a good un, all :D"

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.7 @ 0700.

This was after a binge session last evening which left me with 20.8 reading at bedtime.

Had a really bad night. I almost called an ambulance as I felt so ill.

After the binge I had an angina attack which was controlled by my medication thankfully.

I felt really lousy by bedtime. Muddled head and severe stomach pains. Extreme thirst. Made several bathroom visits for diarrhoea.

Just couldn't settle in bed. I think my stomach was distended after the binge and was uncomfortable in the extreme no matter what position I tried. Ended up getting out of bed and watching tv until after 3 am, when I began to feel more normal and went back to bed and managed to get a few hours sleep.

I've not had many binge sessions since I had a heart attack last October, and I've never felt so bad after one before.

I suppose I need to find a better strategy to resist the urge to binge, but it's not easy when it's been going on for many years. But I can't take many nights like last night. Life just wouldn't be worth living if I felt like that every day.

Small steps kiddo. Are you able to distract the chimp inside your head when it screams “binge”?
When My chimp sees something stuffed with carbs and starts crying for it like a naughty child, I take a drink of water, make some tea, go for a walk, wander round the garden - that sort of stuff.
Stay well.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. Still awaiting my Freestyle Libra products that I ordered on 9th Jan - typical bad big business practice - “we won a big order, everyone else can wait”.
So, backup finger pricking says 5.7 this am.
Have a great day if you can. Take a moment just for yourself.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Write it all down, baffle him with bullet points.
OR do what they seem to do and
IF you can't dazzle them with brilliance.
Baffle them with BS...."
( no, not blood sugars.... thought that would probably work as well,
judging by the standard of understanding of the problem, some seem to have...:D )

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.6 at 0800 according to Codefree. Yesterday I went to an independent optician after struggling for the past 6 weeks with my new glasses from a high street chain who werent interested in my problems. Anyway turns out I have a significant bleed behind right eye and have an urgent referral to hospital. I am so disappointed after more than a year of good control and it is the second bleed same eye in just over a year.
Anyway hope you are all ok. Have a good Thursday almost the weekend.
Stay well, safe and warm.

Left you out the radio spot as that was a bit of fun.

So sorry to hear your news.
How awful and worrying.
I know you saw @Mel dCP post ...
so you know the benefits do come in time.

I'd say your better placed now since dietary changes to tackle this regardless.
and hopefully it's not too serious.

On a positive, it's been spotted and it could have gone on longer...
which doesn't sound great, but sadly the best i can muster, given the poor care from prev opticians you had.
Though, there might (prays) be a point to the fact they didn't spot it, because it hadn't happened at that moment in time ?

Best wishes for a speedy outcome and recovery. x

Reactions: Ally Pally

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. A very long and exhausting day yesterday, so slept in today. Blood sugars were 4.3 this morning.

@Goonergal -- Thanks for your kind words. The weather wasn't really too bad, just a bit frosty. Glad I can stay in today though. Well done on your consistently excellent blood sugar levels.
@Bubbsie -- So sorry about your frustrations with your surgery. Hope your appointment with the GP goes well. Also, best wishes concerning your cold. Get better soon.
@DJC3 -- How many strips have you left for your codefree. Must be frustrating to know that the readings can be so inaccurate. With respect to higher than expected HbA1c, I would go with daily blood sugar readings over HbA1c test. My HbA1c is also much higher than expected (about 7 to 8 points) and my meter should be reasonably accurate. I have tested my meter two times against lab values and it was spot on.
@NixiHB -- Welcome to the thread.
@Charis1213 -- Congrats on your lowest fasting levels so far. Well done.

NixiHB

Hi

It is scary but you have joined a very good forum and this particular thread I hope will be of benefit to you.

Your age and BMI would probably suggest nine times out of ten that you will have diagnosis of T1

There are lots of good folk who post on here you I’m sure will fit in just fine

Stick with us
I'm still holding out hope for T2 - in denial I think... Thanks for the welcome!