What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.6 this morning. Running a tad high, but I am not being terribly active at the moment because of this back problem. Seeing the doc tomorrow, going to have a chat about what I can do to increase my physical activity. Back is improving slowly and I am starting the exercises I have been given.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day.

P

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today, friend with type 2 claims his doc said he should run at '12' min, surely cant be right
I thought that that meant 12 min miles at first. Maybe his doc still refers to it as “the sugar sickness”.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm with you @JohnEGreen (liking the avatar, btw..nice to 'meet' you
Well it was nice meeting you too @jjraak. The photo was taken by my grandson (my daughter's boy) when he my son and I went out for a drink at Christmas, the pub we were in is reputed to be where D. H. Lawrence used to have a pie and a pint while writing Lady Chatterley's Lover. Well not sure if it was acctually a pie and a pint as his tastes were probably a bit more refined but I think a pie and a pint is more poetic.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bubbsie I can feel your frustration...unreliable workmen whether its bad advice or not showing up etc is no joke. My roof is 4/5th mended now after starting the job before Christmas...he comes for an hour or two at a time...then disappears for weeks. Because it is mid job I am unable to get another roofer. Aaaaaargh!
Staged payments, never up front and last payment held back until completion and checked.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.6 this morning. Running a tad high, but I am not being terribly active at the moment because of this back problem. Seeing the doc tomorrow, going to have a chat about what I can do to increase my physical activity. Back is improving slowly and I am starting the exercises I have been given.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day.

P

A bad back is really unpleasant. I fractured my spine back in the mid 70’s (L3, 4 and 5). My surgeon at the time gave me a great piece of advice -“use it, or lose it; keep exercising, manage pain, strengthen the surrounding muscles”. I went on to complete a full career in the military and, as long as I keep exercising, bend and straighten correctly (bum out, back straight like an infant) and don’t try lifting heavy things like wardrobes and sofas then I am usually OK. The pain never goes away but it is managed and I can push it to the back of my mind most days - unless of course I do something silly, like sit on a stool or a stupidly designed chair.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
A bad back is really unpleasant. I fractured my spine back in the mid 70’s (L3, 4 and 5). My surgeon at the time gave me a great piece of advice -“use it, or lose it; keep exercising, manage pain, strengthen the surrounding muscles”. I went on to complete a full career in the military and, as long as I keep exercising, bend and straighten correctly (bum out, back straight like an infant) and don’t try lifting heavy things like wardrobes and sofas then I am usually OK. The pain never goes away but it is managed and I can push it to the back of my mind most days - unless of course I do something silly, like sit on a stool or a stupidly designed chair.

Thank you so much for sharing this. That sounds like a really nasty injury and I am impressed how you manage to overcome it. Inspiring.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice round even 6 this morning after finally! sleeping through the night. I think the two acetaminophen tablets I took at bedtime did it. Will try just one tonight.

@Bubbsie and @PenguinMum I am right there with y'all in Frustration City. I got an e-mail Saturday saying the mailman had delivered a package to my mailbox -- nope. Not there. Not at my door, either, and if it was left in one of the big mail lockers he failed to leave the key in my mailbox. I posted the error on the post office website and was hoping to get it resolved this morning but looking at the calendar I saw that today is a post office holiday (Presidents' Day). So another day of frustration waiting for a package of two shirts that I ordered and am really looking forward to getting as one is a smaller size than I've been wearing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...........

I think the three of us should go out for a drink. :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Staged payments, never up front and last payment held back until completion and checked.
Very good advice though in this case I havent paid anything yet. I think he is only interested in big jobs and fixing my leak is low down the list of priorities. I expect it will be fixed in time for summer!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
Took two tubes of blood this morning for my Thriva tests - I’m lucky as I seem to bleed easily from fingers so off to post them off in a few mins bg from same blood letting - why waste! Was 4.7
Have a good day all
@DJC3 when you take your bloods for the test thsecret is to get your arms moving around first and really soaking in water as hot as you can bear for several mins. Wonderful fasting figures for you and pleased your speaking bg meter is silenced!
@Emma_369 well done after weekend away @ziggy_w hope you have good week your figures look good

Thanks for the tips. It does look like quite a daunting amount of blood to get from a finger! How long do the results normally take? I remember you saying they were quite quick.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tips. It does look like quite a daunting amount of blood to get from a finger! How long do the results normally take? I remember you saying they were quite quick.
Hi @DJC3 it normally takes just a few days it will get to labs tomorrow and then goes to dr for his or her report on the results I’d guess Thursday but will let you know when results back.