What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Veronica Wright Varies from the individual but usually once blood sugar stabilises you will slowly get it back, perhaps some cheapo reading glasses in the meantime?

Thank you so much, Caeseji. It's nice to hear something positive. Great idea with the reading glasses, I can't keep waiting around for it to come back, need to do something now.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bucking the trend here @Veronica Wright

My eyesight got blurry before DX..(aug '19)
And if I'm honest I don't think it has really recovered fully.

I find to look at certain things I need to almost look up and use my peripheral vision to bring certain things into focus.

(My HBA1c is good at 42 and my estimated HBA1c..mysugar all is 35mmol)

Am currently on hols, but am considering its age related ..so will get eyes test on return..and hope glasses restore a fuller vision.

And as for foods.

I live according to the gospel of St Carbs

I pay not attention to calories, sugars or fats

Pure carbs, black, white, brown, beige meh..all spell "danger".

And agree, we had no milk, but creamer
Bgs high..checked label..:***:

Mistakes to learn from, me thinks .:wideyed:

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Captain's log stardate 24032019.

As part of our mission to explore the Galaxy, the Enterprise is currently orbiting GOA-Ri
part of the India federation quadrant 9

Myself and an Away Team have beemed down to the planet surface.

Bones has tested to atmosphere.
oxygen and nitrogen content is good, and hes declared that at 6.0 FBGS..respirators are not required for the crew

the rest of the team, as well as myself have quickly fallen in love with GOA-RI people

Friendly hosts, quick to laughter, lively and with wonderful mix of spices dishes to savour and enjoy

It's a veritable cornucopia of senses and smells, hard to ignore and difficult not to be seduced by.

The rest of the away team are enjoying a day at the beach, with Raj , Santosh & and the rest of the GOA-RI Delegation.

The main Modes of transport on the planet's surface are by capsules referred to as Taxis.

And a more primitive form of transport, that Spock informs me was popular in the EU FEDERATION Circa 20th century called "Scooters"

Lt Uhuru, as part of her mission is off to study a tribe known as the "Hippies" in an outlying settkement called Arombol
In the north.

I have offered to join and we are making our way north on one such "scooter".

I must admit that the whole experience of scootering, while at first bewildering in its RULES, does have a charming appeal

What at first looks like utter chaos, does
seems to rely on an element of telepathy, that the GOA-RI Use instinctively

A blind faith that their gods will protect them.

As well as a sophisticated system of communication referred to as BEEPING.
( A cacophony of sounds that surrounds you constantly while on the road.)

That they utilise successfully, to avoid what seems like many inevitable collisions

A truly crazy system that unbeleivably works

The GOA-RI Beleif system includes Many God's.
In our quest to adapt and fit in, We have taken the liberty of entrusting our safety to the Lord GANESH.

Both Uhuru and myself have admitted to being Smitten by this mode of transport

You truly feel a part of the environment you are travelling in.

The smells noises and sensations as you traverse the Goa-Ri countryside, can at times be overwhelming.

But it's a simple matter to stop and take in the sights wherever the fancy takes you.

The people's are friendly and seem genuinely happy to see and meet us
Wherever we stop

The journey north has Truly been a most liberating experience,

the wind in our hair, the sun in our faces, particularly refreshing after our long journey through hyper space to get here.

These journeys will be remembered long after we depart the planet..
But for now, we enjoy each moment.

Capt J T Kirk

Bucking the trend here @Veronica Wright

My eyesight got blurry before DX
And if I'm honest I don't think it has really recovered fully.

I find to look at certain things I need to almost look up and use my peripheral vision to bring certain things into focus.

(My HBA1c is good at 42 and my estimated HBA1c..mysugar all is 35mmol)

Am currently on hols, but am considering its age related ..so will get eyes test on return..and hope glasses restore a fuller vision.

Thank you, kindly, JRAAK. So sorry to hear about your vision experience. I want to be optimistic but prepared to have to deal with this if its not going to get better (glasses I hope are the remedy...) Love Star Trek, that made me smile which is also very appreciated!

Reactions: HarryBeau

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday 24 March
6:50 AM : 7.3. Not happy but ok...

Last night dinner at a friend’s place. Indian food. How is it possible to avoid carbs with a Vegetarian Indian dinners? ☹️

With vegetarian Indian food, especially south Indian food, it can be difficult. I have a son-in-law from the south although he isn't a vegetarian. When we eat out south Indian, we go to a Hyderabadi place where he can have his biryani and I have kababs, I cook Indian food frequently.

Some people spike with any dried beans, dal (I'm one of them) and I avoid them completely. Surprsingly even though I can't eat chickpeas/garbanzo beans/chana, I do not spike with chickpea flour (besan) that is used a coating on pakoras. Skip tamarind sauce which is often served with them as it has a lot of palm sugar (jaggery) in it to counteract sourness.

I'd recommend paneer which is a soft pressed cheese (it is eaten more in the north than the south -Saag paneer is originally Punjabi from the north). Your friend sounds like they might be Punjabi as Rajma (kidney bean dish) is also Punjabi. The way they prepared puri is also probably north Indian (small crunchy balls rather than the south Indian form which is a large, soft bread.) Some vegetarians eat eggs although if they are Bramhim caste and observant, they won't eat or serve them.

Vegetable dishes/ curries without potatoes (aloo in Hindi) are fine. Ie baigan bharta which is an eggplant/aubergine dish. However, skip the rice, it's the worst grain for blood sugar.

For southern dishes. avoid dosa especially masala dosa because it's a triple dose of carbs - potatoes, rice flour and lentils. Idlies are also made from rice flour.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, kindly, JRAAK. So sorry to hear about your vision experience. I want to be optimistic but prepared to have to deal with this if its not going to get better (glasses I hope are the remedy...) Love Star Trek, that made me smile which is also very appreciated!
Now I look stupid

I had post to write re trek.
Then copied your reply and erased the trek post

Sorry :sorry:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With vegetarian Indian food, especially south Indian food, it can be difficult. I have a son-in-law from the south although he isn't a vegetarian. When we eat out south Indian, we go to a Hyderabadi place where he can have his biryani and I have kababs, I cook Indian food frequently.

Some people spike with any dried beans, dal (I'm one of them) and I avoid them completely. Surprsingly even though I can't eat chickpeas/garbanzo beans/chana, I do not spike with chickpea flour (besan) that is used a coating on pakoras. Skip tamarind sauce which is often served with them as it has a lot of palm sugar (jaggery) in it to counteract sourness.

I'd recommend paneer which is a soft pressed cheese (it is eaten more in the north than the south -Saag paneer is originally Punjabi from the north). Your friend sounds like they might be Punjabi as Rajma (kidney bean dish) is also Punjabi. (The way they prepared puri is also probably north Indian (small crunchy balls rather than the south Indian form which is a large, soft bread.) Some vegetarians eat eggs although if they are Bramhim caste, they won't eat or serve them.

Vegetable dishes/ curries without potatoes (aloo in Hindi) are fine. Ie baigan bharta which is an eggplant dish. However, skip the rice, it's the worst grain for blood sugar.

For southern dishes. avoid dosa especially masala dosa because it's a triple dose of carbs - potatoes, rice flour and lentils. Idlies are also made from rice flour.

Perfect. Am a Hyderabadi myself and your knowledge of Indian food is amazing. For a minute i felt hungry just reading about masala dosa... and the the blood sugar meter beeping brought me back to reality

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perfect. Am a Hyderabadi myself and your knowledge of Indian food is amazing. For a minute i felt hungry just reading about masala dosa... and the the blood sugar meter beeping brought me back to reality

My son-in-law lived in Hyderabad for 10 years (Chennai for the last 2 before he came to Canada). . He was born and raised in Vijaywada on the coast (his dad was transferred back there with the Telegana separation). When I met my son-in-law, I knew a lot about north Indian food (I've been eating and cooking it since the 70s and Punjabis are the largest group here in Toronto who've been here the longest. Since I met him, I've learned a lot about Telugu and Hyderbadi food, eaten a lot of it and explored the cuisines of other regions of India - Tamil, Gujarati, Bengali, Goan and Keralite (most people don't realize that India is far more diverse ethically and lingistically and in cuisine than Europe.)

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have masala dosa every morning for breakfast when on holiday in Goa. There was a street stall not far from me in Wembley which made them, but I haven't had any since becoming T2. :(

Me either - it's really yummy. We have a little vegetarian Indian Tamil place nearby our house that specializes in them. We used go there often but I haven't been there since my diagnosis as I can't have anything on their menu. Fortunately the Hyderbadi place we go to isn't vegetarian and they serve kabobs (they thought I was strange when I ordered Gongura chicken - chicken with sorrel without any rice).

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a scary weeks, some good news this morning. Down to 114! My meter measurement is different here in the US but I think this would be 6.3 in UK measure? I feel a bit better but my vision is still blurry.

Does anyone know -- after a crisis where your vision gets blurry -- how long it takes to go back to normal? I have a diabetic eye exam scheduled in 2 weeks but I'm eager to know others experience as I'm having a difficult time with work (little laptop screen...)

That's great news. Yes, 114 mg/dL is 6.3 mmol/L. I'm Canadian and we also use mmol/L - that means I can't cross the border and buy a cheaper American meter because our measures are different and it won't work with Canadian test strips - I'd have to keep buying US test strips.

My best friend started out with an hba1c of 27 (her previous doctor as negligent and never checked her hba1c) and experienced a lot of blurry vision. Her sister-in-law who's an ophthalmologist told her not to get new glasses and that it would probably stabilize once her blood glucose stabilized at lower levels. If I remember it took a couple of months. This is what happened (her last hba1c was 5.1). The diabetic eye exam is standard for all diabetics, they check to see if high blood readings have affected the blood vessels in the eye (diabetic retinopathy).

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have masala dosa every morning for breakfast when on holiday in Goa. There was a street stall not far from me in Wembley which made them, but I haven't had any since becoming T2. :(

I would one day (when i have my numbers in total control) dare myself to eat a masala dosa... on second thoughts, maybe just one bite!!!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son-in-law lived in Hyderabad for 10 years (Chennai for the last 2 before he came to Canada). . He was born and raised in Vijaywada on the coast (his dad was transferred back there with the Telegana separation). When I met my son-in-law, I knew a lot about north Indian food (I've been eating and cooking it since the 70s and Punjabis are the largest group here in Toronto who've been here the longest. Since I met him, I've learned a lot about Telugu and Hyderbadi food, eaten a lot of it and explored the cuisines of other regions of India - Tamil, Gujarati, Bengali, Goan and Keralite (most people don't realize that India is far more diverse ethically and lingistically and in cuisine than Europe.)

Wow!!! Amazing. I am happy i tried most of those cuisines before getting into the T2 club. Memories to cherish i guess... or a tiny bite of those delicacies once a month.. maybe once a quarter!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would one day (when i have my numbers in total control) dare myself to eat a masala dosa... on second thoughts, maybe just one bite!!!

I think that if you wait till you get your numbers in "total control" you will never get even just one bite of anything! :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 5.0 this morning

it's blowing a gale and raining here on and off so no walk for the little dog today, it's just too windy :(
Back to cold weather again, it's like a seesaw.

Looks like higher 4's to 5 is the new normal for my fbg every morning now. I'm not doing anything different really although I'm not getting quite as many walks as I was because of the weather.

Never mind, I'll keep on keeping on, who knows what the level would be if I didn't ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gratuitous holiday picture moment

Lauren makes friends with beach dogs

lauren n beach dogs.jpg