What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Good morning @Starfish18
I was wondering if you have started on a new pot of strips? I've had my levels change for no reason I can figure, they can be higher or lower but it only seems to happen when I've started a new batch of strips.
But I think Shas3 is right, stressing over your higher numbers is not going to help.

Reactions: Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning @Starfish18
I was wondering if you have started on a new pot of strips? I've had my levels change for no reason I can figure, they can be higher or lower but it only seems to happen when I've started a new batch of strips.
But I think Shas3 is right, stressing over your higher numbers is not going to help.

Do strips from a box that has been open for a long time tend to be less accurate than freshly opened box? Just curious

Reactions: Pipp

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Do strips from a box that has been open for a long time tend to be less accurate than freshly opened box? Just curious

I would guess that it will make a difference, on the leaflet that comes with the strips it is printed in bold "always close the lid immediately and tightly after removing a strip". A little further down in the paragraph it also states "if the cap is not closed do not use the strips for testing".
So it seems that exposure to the atmosphere over time will have a detrimental effect

Reactions: Viv19 and Shas3

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
8.6 I'm starting to eat breakfast as from today. Intermittent fasting has messed with my waking sugars. Dr Jason Fung, whose programme I'm following, said not to worry, but I'm worried. I will try skipping dinner. I have my fasting blood test tomorrow at the GP surgery. I need my fasting blood sugar to be back to normal. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would guess that it will make a difference, on the leaflet that comes with the strips it is printed in bold "always close the lid immediately and tightly after removing a strip". A little further down in the paragraph it also states "if the cap is not closed do not use the strips for testing".
So it seems that exposure to the atmosphere over time will have a detrimental effect

Thanks...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @Starfish18
I did start a new tub of test strips on Saturday about the time I started to see higher numbers. That has crossed my mind. Its not a massive rise. I was seeing 4-6s before now I'm seeing 6&7s

Reactions: Viv19

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.6 I'm starting to eat breakfast as from today. Intermittent fasting has messed with my waking sugars. Dr Jason Fung, whose programme I'm following, said not to worry, but I'm worried. I will try skipping dinner. I have my fasting blood test tomorrow at the GP surgery. I need my fasting blood sugar to be back to normal. Fingers crossed.
I find the same happens. If I skip breakfast levels don’t reduce until after I have eaten, which is often around 3pm. Just awaiting latest HbA1c result. If the missing breakfast strategy doesn’t give good result I will have a rethink. Weight hasn’t shifted down or up, either.

Fasting today was 7.5. Not happy!

Reactions: Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did start a new tub of test strips on Saturday about the time I started to see higher numbers. That has crossed my mind. Its not a massive rise. I was seeing 4-6s before now I'm seeing 6&7s
Can you do a comparison with strips from another batch?

Reactions: Starfish18

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
11.2 this morning
2.0 up that is not bad at all.
Please keep on keeping on... every second of every day!
Watch and learn, listen to that small voice within, and most importantly determine which voice is talking!
"Go on have it, its only this once, it won't matter, go on have it, have it!"
OR
"No! That is going to make me feel worse and a failure"
"I am my Master, I am doing really well!"

Po

Reactions: karen8967

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I find the same happens. If I skip breakfast levels don’t reduce until after I have eaten, which is often around 3pm. Just awaiting latest HbA1c result. If the missing breakfast strategy doesn’t give good result I will have a rethink. Weight hasn’t shifted down or up, either.

Fasting today was 7.5. Not happy!
That's really helpful to hear, though it's not good news for either of us. I wait to eat until 3 pm, the same as you, to get my waking sugars below 6 and all that happens is my blood sugars spike after eating and remains high all evening and overnight. I can't burn the visceral body fat I need to running prolonged, high sugars, which is the point of intermittent fasting. I'm also terrified about my next HbA1c blood test tomorrow.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1553026677601.jpg

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
5.3 for me this morning.
Had to test twice as I couldn't believe first reading .
I'm on a mission now to show this nasty diabetes that I control it rather than letting it control me .

Hope you all have a nice stress free day .