What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DEBBIESCOTT I'm full of admiration for just how you continue to exercise despite the prolonged problem of not being offered a suitable management programme. @ultradad consistently stable numbers which must mean you are taking care of business. @PenguinMum and @Estragon tea and sympathy? @BrianDoc sleep? - see the attached. No Swipey here until "They" have done with MRI and CT scans so Go Team D is all I can offer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-25 10.29.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-25 10.29.16.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 69

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
6.5 this morning not too bad as bed time last night it was 17.1 and that was a bit of a shock checked twice to be sure.

Reactions: RoughcutAU

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning, after shower and first coffee. I forgot to take meter upstairs last night. So don’t know if I would have been in the 5s zone again.
Ah well, much better than of late. :)

Reactions: mojo37 and Donaldfr

pre-predb

6.1 this morning, after shower and first coffee. I forgot to take meter upstairs last night. So don’t know if I would have been in the 5s zone again.
Ah well, much better than of late. :)
I have only just started using a meter, and my results are the other way round! Usually low 6's just after waking, then around 5.5 after morning exercise (still fasting). Daytime levels are not too bad ar all. Do you know why they are higher at night?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only just started using a meter, and my results are the other way round! Usually low 6's just after waking, then around 5.5 after morning exercise (still fasting). Daytime levels are not too bad ar all. Do you know why they are higher at night?
I am not sure what your question is, @pre-predb . Do you mean you are seeing higher readings at night? Could be a mulititude of reasons. What you have eaten during day , perhaps?
I find my levels shoot up after exercise. For example, I had a low carb start to the day, went for a brisk half hour walk, sat and had coffee (decaff, no milk or sugar ) another brisk walk , then checked again. Level was 8.0. Twenty minutes later, after sitting staring into space, it was 5.4. Just too many variables for me to get an understanding of reasons. Sorry can’t offer more insights.

pre-predb

I am not sure what your question is, @pre-predb . Do you mean you are seeing higher readings at night? Could be a mulititude of reasons. What you have eaten during day , perhaps?
I find my levels shoot up after exercise. For example, I had a low carb start to the day, went for a brisk half hour walk, sat and had coffee (decaff, no milk or sugar ) another brisk walk , then checked again. Level was 8.0. Twenty minutes later, after sitting staring into space, it was 5.4. Just too many variables for me to get an understanding of reasons. Sorry can’t offer more insights.
No problem - I was just wondering if you - as a more experienced user - had any insight into why my overnight fasting was higher than daytime. But, as you say, we are all so different! I am assuming in my case, the pre-breakfast exercise helped 'push' some of the glucose into my muscles, resulting in a drop from my reading on waking. My evening meals are never later than 7pm and are low carb.

pre-predb

No problem - I was just wondering if you - as a more experienced user - had any insight into why my overnight fasting was higher than daytime. But, as you say, we are all so different! I am assuming in my case, the pre-breakfast exercise helped 'push' some of the glucose into my muscles, resulting in a drop from my reading on waking. My evening meals are never later than 7pm and are low carb.
I may have found the answer! (Full article from dietdoctor.com)
1. Relax, it is normal — call it “adaptive glucose sparing”

“We definitely see that in people who are doing low carb long term, the majority will find that their fasting blood glucose becomes their highest value of the day,” says Dr. Sarah Hallberg. “They are not actually having issues with blood sugar. They are doing really well. But if you are looking at a log of 24 hours of blood glucose you will see a high first thing in the morning and then a steady decline throughout the day, with no big excursions [in glucose levels] even after meals.

The scientific name is “physiologic insulin resistance” and it’s likely a good thing — unlike “pathologic insulin resistance.”

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi All