What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Sanober said:
7.8 - I'm so happy to see 7s again, 4 weeks post op now - so basically that's my recovery time then.

So happy last week but now each morning seems to be higher than the last.

today...

10.9 :?: I seem to be edging up to double digit territory at all times during the day the last few days.

I do feel run down though, feel spaced out and finding it difficult to concentrate.

I have the slightest bit of sore throat today. I hope it's a cold and not something more sinister.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
viviennem said:
4.8 at 08:00

I know what you mean about
forcing it down
, Daisy. I can never eat as soon as I get up. I settle down for an hour on the settee with a cup of coffee, the Radio Times, and a puzzle book (how sad is that? :lol: ). This is to give my eyes some fresh air before I put my contact lenses in. I have breakfast then, anything up to 2 hours after getting up.

Even if I'm working occasionally, like I am at the moment, I get up at least 30 mins early to have this quiet cup of coffee. I can't do without it. Then I eat an omelette cooked in butter, which I've not got fed up of yet, and which hardly rasies my BG at all. Even when working and eaten at 07:30, that will last me to 12:30 lunch break.

The sun is shining today :p

Viv 8)

Viv,
How do you manage to last until dinner time if you just have an omlette when you start with a level of 4.8?
If I did that I would be well below 4 in a couple of hours even without doing any manual type work or walking etc.
Regards
Angie

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 6.2 fasting
  • 7.3 @ 2 hours
More DP?? Or not.
Same breakfast as before - just a joghurt 6.6g carbs

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
4.4 at 07:00 today.

I don't know about going too low, angieG. Today, for instance, I had my omelette at 07:45; lunch at 12:30 was about 4oz chicken, about one-third of a packet of pate in cubes, 4 radishes and 6 baby plum tomatoes. I didn't finish all I had with me. Got back home at 15:30 to a BG of 5.2 - and no ketones showing on my ketostick so not in ketosis :shock: which I should be on the amount of carbs I'm on (c. 25g daily).

My Type 2 was caught very early, and I've always been pretty stable; early on I was stable at a higher level. I've lost 50lb since diagnosis and I take 500g Metformin 3 times daily. I'm on my low-carb diet very strictly at the moment and it seems to be working.

If anyone can explain the scientific/metabolic reasons for why I don't go too low, I'd be interested. I'll start another thread if there's enough interest.

My GP has actually put in writing (to the Spinal Rehab Unit) that I'm "mildly diabetic". I thought that term wasn't used?

Viv 8)

Edited for PS - I don't do hard physical work on site, I'm not capable of it at the moment, but I do walk around a ;ot in the fresh air. Lovely sunny day today!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Viv,
I was 5.2 this morning at 6.30am. Had mixed berries and greek yoghurt for my breakfast at 7.30am which usually would put me up only slightly, usually returning to pre levels after 2 hours or so. I went to work for 9am and decided since I would be driving for a couple of hours I would have a mini jaffa cake just after 9am (4.3g carbs, naughty but nice!!). Got my passengers to their destination about 11.30am, short walk to nip to the 'ladies' and then sat down for lunch at noon....pre-lunch test revealed 4.5.
This afternoon I had a Burgen bread chicken sandwich, low carb cake (ground almond) and a few nuts at 2.15pm to last me driving back. I finished work about 5.40pm, drove ten mins home and when I tested at 6.15pm I was 4.5 again.
I had an omelette for lunch one day when shopping (being a good girl) and by about 3pm I was about 3.7!!
It is a good excuse to keep snacking that's all I can say!! Fortunately I don't need to lose any weight as I'm a skinny type 2 (now!!) I'm on 2 Metformin (500mg) a day.
Best wishes
Angie

Paulaah

Good morning!!

Waited so long to be able to post a respectable number on this post. But this morning (fanfare) - 5.6!!! Second day running had good morning reading with no dp!! Upped lantus on Sunday and it looks like it might finally be the right dose.... For now.

But this morning I'm just celebrating with a pot of fresh coffee - bliss !!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 6.1 fasting
  • 6.9 @ 2.5 hours

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
4.9 at 07:30 today.

Angie, I think the difference between us may be to do with the fact that I'm running on ketones at the moment, burning fat rather than carbs, whether it shows when I test or not. Though I don't quite understand why that should show as fluctuations in my blood glucose - except for the conversion of yesterday's protein into glucose at a much slower rate than carbs would have done.

You might find the same happening to you if you went very-low-carb - though I would definitely not recommend that you try it while working - safer as you are! And not really a treat to look forward to for your holidays :shock: :lol: .

Viv 8)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Viv,
Not advisable full stop as I seem to have burnt my fat off in the first 3 months or so-ain't got much left now!
Just shows we are all different. I do have low carb days when not working but that's only 1 day a week at the moment.
Tried some butter beans for tea last night, no good and gave me 6.0 this morning! Rubbish!
Best wishes
Angie

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
14.9 :shock:

I now gather it's not what I'm eating but something else. Feel generally very run down this week and each day the readings are edging up despite eating as low as 25 carbs in one day...

The nurse checked me over and ran full bloods today inc a Vit B12 test. Will get results Mon and told to call nhs24 if ketones or if readings run in high 20s or if I feel much worse generally.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
4.8 at 08:30 today.

Sanober, it might be worth upping your carbs to no less than 70g per day. If you go much lower you'll probably show ketones from low-carbing, which could confuse the issue if there's a possibility of DKA.

Hope they find out what the problem is and you get better soon!

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 7.2 fasting :?
  • 6.2 @ 2 hours
Stormy and wet weather today :evil:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks, Fencer. I'm pleased with the last few days. I've been very strict!

5.0 at 08:00 today. Must be a touch of Dawn Phenomenon! :lol:

5.3 at 09:30. Still fasting - at the surgery having the blood drawn for my HbA1c. Did my own test just to see what the difference is between my fasting reading and theirs! I should get all my results next Thursday.

Just now I'm slurping down a hot cup of nectar - usually called coffee! Mmmmm! :D

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 7.1 fasting :(
  • 7.3 @ 2 hours

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Up at 07:00 today - looking for more bodies today - and could not find my meter kit! So tested with my Contour instead, and got 5.8.

That will be a few points above what my Freestyle Lite would have read, and since I had a little celebration last night :oops: - not unexpected.

Found my kit this evening, put away neatly in a drawer where I never put it! I wonder if I might have had a tad too much red wine with my treat? :oops: :lol:

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 6.3 fasting
  • 8.4 @ 2 hours :shock:
    Better not have 2 croissants again for breakfast :?
    Just an experiment...