1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.8 at 07:30 today.

Could be the fish and chip supper! :oops: Only the second time this year and they were gorgeous!. The van stops outside my door every Wednesday night, so I think I have been very well disciplined this past 18 months. :lol:

Viv 8)

2. Fencer

Fencer · Well-Known Member

Yummers!

3. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

• 7.3 fasting
    • 7.1 @ 2 hours

yum yum fish and chips :roll:

4. starlight1

starlight1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

9.1 for me this morning, has been higher other mornings. am struggling a bit to get bg lower.

5. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Today:

• 7.1 fasting
    • 7.4 @ 2 hours

Perhaps I'll change finger next time :wink:

6. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

This morning:
    • 7.1 fasting
    • 6.9 @ 2 hours
    • Just can't get them down :? They used to be in the 5s or even sometimes 4s.
      I'm not going to test in the morning for a while as I'm fed up and discouraged
      by these results :evil: Need to economise on strips too before I run out of my
      year's supply.

7. viviennem

Oh, Daisy! I don't know what to suggest! Maybe up your carbs a little bit (not too much) and relax for the next week, then try again. I agree best to leave it for a while, getting stressed about it won't be helping.

This was the day I was supposed to be trying a self-administered GTT, after a carby celebration weekend. I lay in bed at 06:00, thinking "Get up and drink the lucozade" and I just simply couldn't face it :shock: . So I'll try again tomorrow.

Haven't fasting-tested for the last few mornings. A bit of self-discipline is now required :lol:

Viv 8)

8. neilalastair

neilalastair Other · Well-Known Member

Dont Panic Daisy
    After several weeks of seeing mine creep up to 7+ i had a 5.4 yesterday and today a 6.0 which i saw as a massive improvement.
    However I have also noticed that I put 8 pounds on over the last several weeks so the last few days I have exercised more and fasted. Maybe this is only a temporary dip for me but the rest of the day my numbers a great 5s and 6s.
    Your HbA1c is good and I suspect that morning fasting levels are not a big contributor to the overall picture.

9. viviennem

I've decided I'm being easy on myself for this week as well, so not testing very much . . . curry with rice and a naan last night ! :oops:

Tested at 10:00 today after a cup of coffee - 6.1.

I forgot to mention (I think) that when I went for my fasting tests on September 19th, I got the following results:

08:00 - 5.0 at home, fasting
    09:30 - 5.3 at surgery, my meter, fasting
    09:30 - 6.0 at surgery, fasting sample taken immediately after I stuck the finger of my other hand!

So - is that too big a difference? Is my meter wrong? It does take plasma readings. Or is it nothing to worry about?

Viv 8)

10. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Thanks Viv and Neil :) I have stopped testing for a little while, stopped counting carbs and eating a little more (carbs) as Viv suggested. Soon I'll test again and hope it's better. I'm not sure that it's a very good idea just to do the morning tests anyway. Maybe I'll forget the morning tests and do them for the rest of the day instead. I shall miss the virtual coffees around the virtual table in the mornings though. I've got my next HbA1c at the end of November almost 4 months since my 5.3. I think from previous full day tests that I'm high in the morning and lower during the rest of the day. I'll have to try to control my stress levels.

11. AMBrennan

AMBrennan · Well-Known Member

BG metres are considered accurate if they are within 10% of the lab value i.e. 5.3 is borderline. I wouldn't worry about it but you could always contact the manufacturer (Abbot at least is quite helpful - they even sent me a free Optium when I asked them how one would go about buying a spare metre)

@topic: 4.8

12. joanne bloggs

joanne bloggs · Newbie

Hi everyone and hope you are having a nice day!

Today I had 8.1 which is a bit high. Still, onwards and downwards....

13. omer dalors

omer dalors · Well-Known Member

This morning, fasting, was 10.1

14. Malc.

Malc. Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine this morning was 5.2
    My previous fasting test was two days ago (29th Sept) and that reading was 5.1

I'm overdue an HbA1c check, so i think I'll arrange one to be done in a couple of weeks, unless I hear from the Dn.
    I've still not taken any meds, (yet!)

Malc.

15. omer dalors

omer dalors · Well-Known Member

This morning I was 10.2. It doesn't get better does it?

16. Ausra

Ausra · Well-Known Member

I woke up at 5 am with 9.8 , i could feel it's high so I couldn't sleep I had to give myself injection of 1 unit.
    I went back to bed again and at 9.30am it was 3.9.

17. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

After a gap in testing it has not improved:
    • 6.4 fasting
    • 6.9 @ 3.5 hours as I forgot to test afterwards :shock:

18. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

15.5 today

Vit B-12 result today at 210 (range is 200-900)so 'lower end of normal range' - red blood cells 'size' ok - GP suggested taking supplements. A1c raised a bit to 7.6 all other bloods fine.

However I was told today that a throat swab has revealed a fungal infection (so all my entries about my dry throat were not wasted on the forum then :lol: ...On 2 wks of anti-biotics and daily self testing to see if my reads come down.

The GP on instinct feels this isn't the full picture though and he certainly doesn't think it's because of poor control but perhaps auto-immune deficiency of some form (Sjorgen's or indeed this supposed T1.5 /LADA ? ) :idea:

19. Jbx

Jbx · Member

Took my first fasting reading at 9:00am 6.3.
    Yesterday at 10:30am 9.7!!

20. SparkJack

SparkJack Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fasting to-day 7.8
    Meal +2 7.3

Since I started lower carb average fasting readings have dropped from 9.3 (some were 10.5) to an average of 8.0 (all under 9.0) so it is going in the right direction. I'm hoping they will continue to drop.
    Rest of day readings 6.8 - 7.8 which is a lot lower than multiple 10/11 I was getting.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook