What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all,
Can anyone help me with this please? I am type 2 and I have just had my Hb1c test and the nurse has just phoned me to say that my result is to low (41(5.9), same as last years results where I have dropped 3 Gliclazide tablets and now I have dropped all of them. Now I thought that was pretty normal or ok at least but not low! would appreciate your thoughts on what is really low to be concerned about.
Hi, I'm not on any medication and my last 3 years HB1c have been 43, 43 and 45. My surgery describes this as "excellent" Personally I would be delighted with a 41 but maybe if you are taking medication there is a difference. Any else care to comment?

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all,
Can anyone help me with this please? I am type 2 and I have just had my Hb1c test and the nurse has just phoned me to say that my result is to low (41(5.9), same as last years results where I have dropped 3 Gliclazide tablets and now I have dropped all of them. Now I thought that was pretty normal or ok at least but not low! would appreciate your thoughts on what is really low to be concerned about.
Do you have any comorbidity(?) which means that may be too low? For bg level does not seem too low

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

Recent studies suggest that a truly normal HBA1c is about 31. Thats people in their 20s with no health condition and in the mid healthy bmi range. Studies on people over 50 are closer to 34. This page has a summary of recent findings. https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar
If you are not using medication, and they think its too low....so what. My guess, better to keep it closer to 34 than 44.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrytiddy

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recent studies suggest that a truly normal HBA1c is about 31. Thats people in their 20s with no health condition and in the mid bmi range. Studies on people over 50 are closer to 34. This page has a summary of recent findings. https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar
If you are not using medication, and they think its too low....so what. My guess, better to keep it closer to 34 than 44.
@Canvaspic That is very timely and strangely matches where I want to get and stay so huge thanks. Sadly, today the meter/strips are returning truly Trumpian numbers - I am ordering new strips and may exonerate the sherry and mustard sauce. The real danger today is trusting the readings and thrashing myself on exercise - already caused mischief to surroundings with rowing machine:arghh: Luckily I am pausing before exercise bike and weights. Brilliant resource:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke at 4.30 with a 2.9
I’m ok now sitting at 5.2

Have a very good day folks
Hope your ok cumbs we could be twins at the moment ive lowered me basal only by 1/2 a unit but im going high everytime i eat now im so sensitive to the insulin

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@Canvaspic That is very timely and strangely matches where I want to get and stay so huge thanks. Sadly, today the meter/strips are returning truly Trumpian numbers - I am ordering new strips and may exonerate the sherry and mustard sauce. The real anger today is trusting the readings and thrashing myself on exercise - already caused mischief to surroundings with rowing machine:arghh: Luckily I am pausing before exercise bike and weights. Brilliant resource:):)
I've read this before and I welcomed seeing it again . Thanks

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched some of the '81 Dolphins Chargers play off game while exercising. Crowd shots proved the 80s were truly a period when fashion. food and music decided to collectively take the proverbial. *** were we doing?:arghh::arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

Louie59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm not on any medication and my last 3 years HB1c have been 43, 43 and 45. My surgery describes this as "excellent" Personally I would be delighted with a 41 but maybe if you are taking medication there is a difference. Any else care to comment?
Thanks

Reactions: Cumberland

Louie59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recent studies suggest that a truly normal HBA1c is about 31. Thats people in their 20s with no health condition and in the mid healthy bmi range. Studies on people over 50 are closer to 34. This page has a summary of recent findings. https://www.bloodsugar101.com/what-is-a-normal-blood-sugar
Yes I agree. but I am on medication. Glucophage & Dapagliflozin. since I have been on the Dapagliflozin my BG have dropped.

Louie59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I need to have a long chat with my Diabetic Nurse.

Reactions: Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Morning all,
Your number is great and if you wish you can strive for lower. The official guidelines accept higher figures as so many fail to obtain non diabetic numbers (I would say in the main due to following the standard mainstream methodologies.)