What were your first thoughts?

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, there are many things that go through your mind at once. What were your first thoughts when you were sat down with your doctor and had the news?:wideyed:

D

Diabeticliberty

My very first thought was: when can I get myself out of this hospital?

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My original thought was ok I can handle this. I have never been so wrong in my sad pathetic life. This is so much bigger than me and I hate it.

Reactions: Freema
D

Diabeticliberty

My original thought was ok I can handle this. I have never been so wrong in my sad pathetic life. This is so much bigger than me and I hate it.

Don't try to beat it Robbie. You will just drive yourself down. Work on learning to live with it. There are people all around us with far worse conditions than diabetes. There are some poor souls with worse conditions and diabetes as well. I thank myself very lucky every single day.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ****, needles!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm scared of needles!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really scared of needles.

Some one had suggested I go doctors because of my symptoms, someone else, a T1 had said how they had to inject daily.
Hence a brief chat and urine test. GP said " you're diabetic "

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't try to beat it Robbie. You will just drive yourself down. Work on learning to live with it. There are people all around us with far worse conditions than diabetes. There are some poor souls with worse conditions and diabetes as well. I thank myself very lucky every single day.
I genuinely believe diabetes is the reason I'm still here now as fit and as healthy as I am.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The very first feeling, which was quickly overwhelmed with lots of additional ones, was:

***?

Disbelief. You could not have concoted a bigger surprise for me. It came out of the blue during a routine annual medical. (No prior symptoms, at least none that were obvious.)

Reactions: Ixarix

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mine was 'Oh, thank goodness for that!' I was so pleased there was one thing that could be controlled that related to all my symptoms. Little did I know how long it would take me to get it under control.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I basically diagnosed myself (there was the symptoms, Google and my nan's blood sugar monitor) so my first thought was that I probably should go to hospital... and maybe I should pack a bag in case they keep me in. But they just had a half hearted attempt at killing me (40 units of actrapid and sent home less than an hour later with no means of testing blood sugar, no insulin, no advice not to drive, no advice on what a hypo was or how to treat it and only told not to eat sugar while waiting to see the endo in the week) but it was early Saturday afternoon and there was a home game on do it probably wouldn't have been terribly pleasant to have been admitted.

And then at the actual endo diagnosis appointment (the Wednesday after, after having what was probably a false hypo on the Saturday night and luckily ignoring the no sugar instruction I pretty much slept until I saw the endo, and my ex nurse mother was sensible enough to confiscate the car keys) and the DSN appointment afterwards my main though was "oh the needles don't hurt" after the DSN basically used my mum as a dartboard to demonstrate tha the needles really don't hurt.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Uhh but I don't need the loo" when the nurse at my GP was explaining they suspected diabetes and they wanted to check for ketones in a sample. 10 minutes later she thought I'd run off. :facepalm:

D

Diabeticliberty

My own doctor completely misdiagnosed me. I was only showing just about every classic symptom of type 1 diabetes and the numbskull gave me a prescription for a stomach condition which I did not have. When I went to the pharmacists who knew me very well indeed he refused to supply the medication from the prescription. Insisted I go back to my GP with a rehearsed script. My GP then tested my blood sugars, turned crimson and sent me to hospital where I spent the next 3 weeks. The hospital however really did me proud. That GP got so much stuff wrong over and over again and I stuck with him for 30 odd years. If I did my own job with the same level of ineptitude I wouldn't last 2 days at it.

Reactions: Ixarix and therower

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My very first thought was: when can I get myself out of this hospital?
I had the same thought after being diagnosed in the hospital. "When can I go home." Technically I was diagnosed the day before when I saw my doctor. Since it was a new diagnosis we were just starting on a path of treatment and sorting out what type I was. I think my doctor hoped to give me sometime to ease into things. But my sugar was really high, and my system was completely out of whack. I went to the hospital the following day feeling dead exhausted, and they wound up keeping me for week. My doctor told me I did the right thing by going to the hospital when he saw me in there. It amazes me how much I put up with in the hopes it would simply go away on its own.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my first thought was so there really IS something wrong with me then.... thought the tiredness, weight loss etc was just down to a busy life...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Relief as I thought the symptoms were cancer. This turned to horror later when `I kept reading about complications. Later again , when I started to go from 8's to 4's after workouts, I began to believe that things could get better.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I basically diagnosed myself (there was the symptoms, Google and my nan's blood sugar monitor) so my first thought was that I probably should go to hospital... and maybe I should pack a bag in case they keep me in. But they just had a half hearted attempt at killing me (40 units of actrapid and sent home less than an hour later with no means of testing blood sugar, no insulin, no advice not to drive, no advice on what a hypo was or how to treat it and only told not to eat sugar while waiting to see the endo in the week) but it was early Saturday afternoon and there was a home game on do it probably wouldn't have been terribly pleasant to have been admitted.

And then at the actual endo diagnosis appointment (the Wednesday after, after having what was probably a false hypo on the Saturday night and luckily ignoring the no sugar instruction I pretty much slept until I saw the endo, and my ex nurse mother was sensible enough to confiscate the car keys) and the DSN appointment afterwards my main though was "oh the needles don't hurt" after the DSN basically used my mum as a dartboard to demonstrate tha the needles really don't hurt.
The needle wound up for me being the easiest part of it. They're so small, just a small pick for a few seconds and you're done.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I cried with relief as I didn't have to have a wee after over an hour after the last one
I really thought insulin had "cured" me -- LOL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The very first feeling, which was quickly overwhelmed with lots of additional ones, was:

***?

Disbelief. You could not have concoted a bigger surprise for me. It came out of the blue during a routine annual medical. (No prior symptoms, at least none that were obvious.)
It's been bugging me.
I have to ask.
What is the picture in your Av?