Whats everyones worst fall off the wagon?

suehatton

Im twitching to fall off the wagon. Half term, treats for the kids in the cupboard but Ive resisted so far. Everyone on here seems so dedicated and disciplined and I can understand the incentive to continue is much higher than just trying to lose a few pounds, the whole pancreas could be jeopardised........but some of us must have had some shameful lapses.....anyone care to share them??? ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ewww this goes against all my principles of denial but here goes...... Gulp! I had a topic last week, I was starving and on the road honest, didn't test bg for the rest of the day, I couldn't have looked my bg monitor in the eye. I even hid the wrapper in the skip, in case anyone who has had to endure my holier than thou daily food lecture saw it in my van :)

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had fish and chips the other day and I ate every last delicious chip but I did leave a token bit of batter.

I 'forgot' to test for a few hours - not sure who I thought I was cheating!

equipoise

Even if you don't tell anyone, your pancreas will find out -- he always does - and then he'll go and tell your retina, and your toes, and your kidneys. Try to be strong - it is SO easy for occasional indulgence to become a habit... :roll:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
equipoise said:
Even if you don't tell anyone, your pancreas will find out -- he always does - and then he'll go and tell your retina, and your toes, and your kidneys. Try to be strong - it is SO easy for occasional indulgence to become a habit... :roll:
Great words ! Like it ! So very true. I just put a chocolate biscuit back after reading that lol !

LittleWolf

Well I had roti and curried mutton my grandma cooked (a pleasant surprise) after complaining about craving it all day

10.8... :/ I was filming all day with a Doctor. Maybe I should have asked him about my numbers instead of waiting for my GP to listen...

Screw it, that was tasty >_>

Finzi

I had a terrible fall off the wagon today but somehow seemed to have got away with it - had a "pulled pork" wrap for lunch,followed by - wait for it - a piece of Rocky Road cake. I didn't eat the wrap, just the pork inside, but it was ridiculously sweet, goodness knows how much sugar must have been in it. And as for the cake ....

But I was really lucky. 4.5 before lunch, 5.5 @ 1.5 hours and 5.8 @ two hours (and 5.7 @ three hours and five hours - note the obsessive guilt ridden checking!). No idea how that happened. And yet when I ate some rye bread, numbers up in the eights for hours and hours (at least four hours). And I can't eat lentils either. Or cous cous. My theory (because I've had a couple of similar sets of numbers before) is that with a biiiig sugar input (like a slice of chocolate cake with marshmallows and biscuits and covered in melted chocolate) my pancreas jumps into action and "does the business". But with the slow release low GI carbs, it doesn't realize it's supposed to be doing something and so the numbers creep up and stay there.

Does make it harder to be good sometimes. But I've still got weight to lose, so I shall be determined not to fall off the wagon too often!

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

suehatton

I had a tiny piece of mother in laws birthday cake on Saturday ....rude not to.....but have no meter as DN said would only confuse me at this early stage. Cant say I absolutely relished it to be honest it made me a bit queasy for a while!

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Had a chicken fried rice last week for the first time in over two years. Checked in my fitness pal for amount of carbs, it said 200g, yes 200.
Didn't want to inject 20u of novorapid just in case, so injected 15u.
2 hours later, my BGL was at 12.9.
Will be a very long time till next time.

kellibabi

Hmmm, once every couple of months or so, I'll let myself fall off the wagon - be it pizza, chinese, fish & chips or some chocolate fudge cake. I don't see the point in beating myself up about it. I live my life with a treat every now & then rather than live like a 'saint' & deny myself a little pleasure. Life would be so boring without it!

Reactions: 2 people

suehatton

I agree with that too, but I gave to admit that now that the stakes are higher than just a normal weight loss diet I have found it easier not to cheat. Think im more wary of food now than I ever was which is good for the organs I suppose but bad for days like yesterday when I felt a bit excluded :):(

suehatton

Ok so hows this for something to be proud of. Kids half term treat to local playcentre and McD for lunch. I got cooked chicken from Tesco instead and we all sat outside so I wudnt get rumbled! Didnt even pinch a chip!!:grin:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[quote="suehatton]" Didnt even pinch a chip!!:grin:[/quote]

If I believed you I would say what a wonderful example you are to the rest of us.