When do you go from prediabetic to diabetic?

Ashleigh

I saw someone post the other day, listing some info from other sites, and one little snippet said that if you had 2 or more FBG readings of 7.0 or above, that classified you as diabetic. They were in Romania though, so their classification could be different, or is this correct?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is how I understand it. 5.5 to 6.9 is pre-diabetic and higher is diabetic.

One the other scale 100-125 is pre-diabetic and higher is diabetic.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's correct, the levels should be determined by a lab test though, not from a finger prick.
In fact if there are symptoms then only one fasting test over 7mmol/ l is necessary for diagnosis.
Very recently the HbA1c test has been accepted as a method for diagnosing diabetes.
more details of both the new HbA1c criteria and the older criteria here
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Our ... diabetes_/

Ashleigh

thank you for your replies :)

so if I have finger prick readings of >7.0 (I've only had a couple) in the morning then that doesn't necessarily mean that I've progressed to full diabetes then.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all you don't say whether or not the tests were done after fasting for 14 hours. If you had something to eat or drink in that period then the readings would be unreliable. Also, a simple finger prick test would be unacceptable anyway.

You have to have two fasting tests done with approved equipment to qualify. So no your readings do not mean you are diabetic (yet).

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is it automatic to go from prediabetic to diabetic? Ignore the warning that you pancreas cannot cope with your diet, & expect the progression. Take the warnings seriously, change your diet to low carb & the progression may never occur.

If the only tests are finger prick, & soon after a meal, then that is not a diagnosis.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IanD said:
Is it automatic to go from prediabetic to diabetic? Ignore the warning that you pancreas cannot cope with your diet, & expect the progression. Take the warnings seriously, change your diet to low carb & the progression may never occur.

If the only tests are finger prick, & soon after a meal, then that is not a diagnosis.

I just re-read this and did not notice that there was a question in it the first time.

If you carry on doing whatever it was that got you into the diabetic clinic then you can expect your diabetes to progress. The medical profession seems to think this is the more likely scenario.

If you can sort out your diet and find suitable medication then you can stave off the progression indefinitely. I have read that there is some evidence of regression in some people but I wouldn't pin your hopes too highly there. There was a study where some fat 40 year old men seemed to grow some more beta cells.

There is no out and out cure that I know of.