Which diet(s) are people using?

Someone I know with pre-diabetes was asking about different diets. Which diet do you use?

• NHS advice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 800 calorie shake

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • fasting

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • glycemic

• low calorie / very low calorie

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • low carb

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • ketogenic

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • mediterranean

• paleo

• vegan / vegetarian

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteadyAim

Hi all,

Someone I know with pre-diabetes was asking about different diets. I looked at the front page and see there are diet guides for a number of different diets.

As well as voting, feel free to reply with comments on how easy your diet is to stick to, and if it is working for you.

Thanks!

Reactions: Outlier

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto + intermittent fasting, usually 2mad within a 4 hour window or less.

So very easy for me that I hardly realised I was doing it. Very quick improvements, been at it 2 years now. BG in non-diabetic register for well over a year and lots of weight lost. Suits me but won't suit everyone.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is lower carb than it was, it probably wouldn't be 'low carb' in the eyes of many here. However it works for me - HbA1c from 56 to 44 and I've lost about 10kg as well. I'm also walking for about an hour most days.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 just over 6 weeks ago. Went on low carb shortly after, 50g carb per day limit to start, but quickly down to 20-30g keto territory. I'm currently managing with diet and lifestyle changes, no medication.

I can only speak for my own experience and 6 weeks worth of data, but low carb/keto with exercise has:

- Allowed me to lose 2st 2lb since diagnosis (quite a bit of water weight loss in that to be fair, plus I'm very overweight), with very little hunger.

- Reduced my first morning fasting BG reading down from 15s at the start, to 6s for 2-3 weeks consistently now.

- Reduced my pre-meal BG readings down from 15s at the start to 5s consistently for 2 weeks now.

- Reduced my 2hr post-meal readings down from 17s at start to 5s or 6s for 2-3 weeks now.

- Reduced my average resting heart rate from 90-100 bpm at the start, down to 70-80bpm in the last 7 days.

- Reduced my average 7 day blood pressure from 134/94 at the start, to 121/79 in the past 7 days (same medication levels, no changes).

- Triglycerides have reduced from 5.3 when first diagnosed, to 2.5 as of last blood test 3 weeks ago. Still high, but that was achieved in 3 weeks of low carb/keto and exercise.

I've been very strict on this diet, no alcohol, never exceeding 30g of carbs in the last 4-5 weeks, and mostly being in the 20-25g range for carbs per day on average.

In my experience at least, low carb and keto aren't magic diets, as you'll see some proclaiming on other platforms. It can be challenging and very restrictive, but the results above outweigh all of that for me. Its effect on BG levels, in particular, allowed me to quickly control and resolve many high BG issues, e.g. unquenchable thirst, frequent urination, slightly blurred vision - possibly not relevant to prediabetes, but worth mentioning just in case. If the person in question can control their carb cravings, I'd recommend it, even if they don't go to the keto end of carb restrictions and just maintain a simpler lower carb approach than they do at present, with better quality carbs chosen for those they do consume.

Last edited:

Patty80

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Someone I know with pre-diabetes was asking about different diets. I looked at the front page and see there are diet guides for a number of different diets.

As well as voting, feel free to reply with comments on how easy your diet is to stick to, and if it is working for you.

Thanks!
Diagnosed with prediabetes 3yrs ago ---HBa1c -4.2'
Tried low carb diets with no success --- too complicated and consequently not motivated to persist with them. Bloods checked 6 monthly going up to 4.3. I have no weight problem being underweight , so difficult to put it down to over eating or lack of excercise.
My daughter insisted I cut down on SWEET things ,including sweet fruits, dried fruits,biscuits, cakes, drinks etc. And also keep checking the sugar content in the food you buy.
Been doing this for @ 1 year, and now find it easy to keep to. I allow myself a few treats like 1 small finger of Kit Kat after lunch and a small piece of fruit with cereal for breakfast, and the occasional dessert.
My last reading was 4.0 !
My advice is --dont give up if you find the conventional low carb diet isnt for you. Try cutting down on anything which tastes SWEET. It gets easy when its part of your routine.
Good luck.

• Winner
Reactions: JAT1 and flonvic

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed with prediabetes 3yrs ago ---HBa1c -4.2'
Tried low carb diets with no success --- too complicated and consequently not motivated to persist with them. Bloods checked 6 monthly going up to 4.3. I have no weight problem being underweight , so difficult to put it down to over eating or lack of excercise.
My daughter insisted I cut down on SWEET things ,including sweet fruits, dried fruits,biscuits, cakes, drinks etc. And also keep checking the sugar content in the food you buy.
Been doing this for @ 1 year, and now find it easy to keep to. I allow myself a few treats like 1 small finger of Kit Kat after lunch and a small piece of fruit with cereal for breakfast, and the occasional dessert.
My last reading was 4.0 !
My advice is --dont give up if you find the conventional low carb diet isnt for you. Try cutting down on anything which tastes SWEET. It gets easy when its part of your routine.
Good luck.
Hi Patty80 - just to be clear on the measurements you're quoting - are you giving your HbA1c results in mmol/mol? If so they would be 42, 43 and 40 mmol/mol rather than 4.2, 4.3 and 4.0. I'm attaching a graphic that might help.

Attachments

• BG  UK copy.jpg
    BG UK copy.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 124

rexonaut

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

Thanks!

Jeahh. 1.5 years pre-diabetes. I did not follow any diets, as I was on low carb anyway. I took sensor and measured BG after every meal. Bodies are different. I found out oats and rice are out. Beer is out, except few types and just a bottle. Fatty food is out. Beef is almost out. Gluten is out.
But I can drink few hlasses of dry white wine. Some shots of cognac.

Eating order is important. At first fiber, then protein and then carbs. At home you can follow, in restaurants it us more difficult. This is called Balkan diet.
Apple cider vinegar after the meal helps to lower BG.