1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Who has had depression due to low carbing?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by hanadr, Mar 28, 2012.

1. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

Another one shows adding CBT to a diet program increases the rate of weight loss of either a low carb or low fat diet.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Splitters!

3. Unbeliever

Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

Judith, I love the idea of you , Viv and catherine cherub as a trio of fascists or fanatics! Viv being nearer to my age {I think}may remember the trio of schoolgirls known as The Silent Three in a well-known magazine for girls , These young ladies donned hoods and cloaks at night to preserve their anonymity when righting wrongs and helping others when thei rest of the school was abed. I will now think of you three in his way from now on. You are a perfect example of using different approaches to control your own diabetes and to help others. You have totally different approaches but open minds and don't try to impose your ideas on anyone else .

Totally agree about the edginess Judith. Now it has been brought out into the open perhaps that will be an end to it.
    I hope so!

4. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I remember The SIlent Three!

For a while I was a day pupil at a small boarding school which I'm sure was the model for St Trinian's. When I moved on to my next school we founded a secret society called 'FRED' - the "Federation for the Removal of Educated Drips". The entire cast of 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' were members. And at university 3 of us formed a 'Triumfeminate' - at which point all the male members of the department threatened to take to the hills and form a resistance movement! :lol:

Ah - happy days! and they still haven't got me into the asylum :crazy:

If the above rings a bell with anyone, please PM me :wink:

Viv 8)

5. Unbeliever

Love it Viv ! Ever thought of writing your memoirs? A good cure for depression I'll be bound.Hope you get some replies!

6. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just read this excellent defintion of "low-carbohydrate" from Volek, Phinney et al (the researchers that have done most of the relevant work on Ketogenic diets), that ties it into different metabolic states:

Isn't that remarkably similar to what xyzzy and Grazer et al regularly tell the noobs? 100-150g is a good place to start. (<50g is for the very low carb fundies.)

Note that they state absolute values and not "g per kg of body mass". This is probably because the whole system is regulated by your brain's requirement for glucose, which is pretty constant independent of how big you are (apart from me and my super-massive brain).

7. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I haven't read or commented on this thread in a few days, but feel compelled to now. I am a very proud, and dedicated VERY low carber. I do it for ME!! I do not try to foist my views on others, I just do all I can to make my health the best I can. I won't hide the fact that for the first time I have read about a sort of low carb mafia, and that they were banned as troublemakers. While I absolutely agree trouble-making trolls should not be allowed to prevail anywhere, I am really rather cross at the suggestion low carbers are intent on pushing this issue for an unknown agenda. Most of us who low carb do it for ourselves, and offer it as a proven aide to help lower and stabilize BG. So what is the definition of a low carber? It seems to me it is what ever the individual deems it to be. Hana said less than 50g that is low. I take in around 20g or less a day, I call that very low, so I would agree with Hana. At the end of the day, does it really matter what a definition is? If we all eat to our meters, we will find a point we can cope and live by. Surely THAT is what we all want, not endless tennis matches of who's right and who's wrong.

Climbs down from soapbox...

8. sweetLea

sweetLea · Well-Known Member

Blimey. You'd get less argument and upset about your religion, sexuality or politics than your eating habits these days! :lol:

9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

:lol: ....the thread has grown arms and legs :lol:

10. Defren

sad but true!

11. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What's sad about that?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Just the way it should be :D

13. sweetLea

sweetLea · Well-Known Member

Oh lord..............
    Ok. I'll edit my post to include religion and politics.
    Apologies to anyone who was offended. No offence intended.

14. Defren

From my point of view it's sad that the way each of us controls our own condition is fought over like hyena's with a carcass. Diet is a contentious issue, but I can't think of anyone who would not stand up and say that low carbs is the way to go. It's sad that the fight here is all about what constitutes low carb. Like I said does it matter what peoples perception of low carb is? No, it doesn't. It's a personal thing. If you find 200g a day or 10g of carbs a day keeps your BG low then that is your own body saying that figure is fine. My reasons for being cross is that low carbers are deemed to have an agenda. So as a very low carber, does that make me have a bigger agenda? (rhetorical). Rather that arguing over what is and isn't low carb why can't we take the subject of diabetes and treat those of us who suffer with it as individuals? I find it sad, the issue is now simply a stick to beat low carbers with.

15. Defren

No offence meant in my post either. This is getting way beyond silly now. PS I didn't take any offence at your post :D

16. Unbeliever

I have just been re-reading this thread {or web maybe} The above just says it all really and little else matters, I juggle carbs , meds and exercise. to keep my levels as low as possible. I don't want to lose any more weight either.
    This is what its all about -doing what suits you as an individual. I sppose thats why the DUK mag is callled Balance. That is what we have to do all the time.
    I get depressed if this balance is disurbed causing my levels to rise. I wonuldn't ever think to blame it on diet alone.
    If I thought it was due to the wrong level of carbs for me I would ry to adjust it for me.
    I can't see much point in a definition. Too high or low would soon become apparent.
    If your meter tells you that you are Ok and you are well in general I can't see a problem. I cannot say as some do that I am healthier since diagnosis , far from it. I would say that I am now recovering from the diagnosis and early treatment .
    Its only been five years! Reducing starchy carbs to pre-diagnosis rates was the only thing that worked for me.
    I don't think I can recover from the effects of the medication though.

Did anyone claim to have been depressed by low-carbing?

17. lukkymik

lukkymik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only depression I get is with Drs who suggest DAFNE courses for Type 2's & then had the Gall to disbelieve my objections until I gave him a print out from DAFNE clearly stating how dangerous it would be!!! I then suggested the X-pert course for Type 2's to be told "what on earth is that"?. This is a GP who claims to be up to date with all aspects of Diabetes!!!! Really Scary!!!

18. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Worrying thing is, relatively speaking, he IS up to date, the others are even more cr*p!

• Like Like x 2
  19. mats

mats · Newbie

Have type 2. Started Low Carbing (LCHF type Atkins) May 2013. Lost about 3.5 stone and feeling top of the world! Took over 200 units of insulin when I started low carbing. Stopped taking insulin in November 2013.

HBA1c: April 2013 86, Nov 2013 42.....

Depression? Don't be silly.

On the contrary.. happier than for a long time with oodles more vim and vigour.

• Like Like x 5
  20. 375lindyloo

375lindyloo · Active Member

I have suffered from depression off and on throughout my adult life. I was diagnosed Type 2 in 2008 after gaining a substantial amount of weight due to less exercise and bad eating whilst doing a part time degree suggested by my doctor to help my depression-I threw everything into it. I took the news well and just got on with it. Was put on Metformin and Simvastatin. The year after was quite ill and took myself off meds and improved but got a rocket from my gp. Liver function readings were through the roof and no one knew why. I found this forum and took the very good advice that is on here. I followed Newcastle Diet and lost a lot of weight and then reduced my carbs and lost more. The gp is now doubting that I was diabetic which I find ludicrous going by my blood glucose readings as I am now in non diabetic levels. My liver function levels have stayed elevated and the consultant has said they must be monitored. I have a contra indication warning on my notes regarding statins as they take liver function even higher. They want to declassify my diabetic status so I will no longer be monitored. This is great in one respect as I have tried very hard to reverse my symptoms but I will no longer be tested and no longer have retinopathy which scares the hell out if me! My point is it is not the low carbs bringing on a bout of depression it is the HCP who don't seem to give a s**t. Another reason for me to feel low is that if you are an older person they force feed you with the health issues that could kill you imminently. I feel like I have done my best to help myself with help from here but am on a hiding to nothing. They have taken the joy out of my life and the feeling of achievement-not low carbing!

• Like Like x 5
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook