Who has had depression due to low carbing?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Another one shows adding CBT to a diet program increases the rate of weight loss of either a low carb or low fat diet.

Adding cognitive behavioural treatment to either low-carbohydrate or
low-fat diets: differential short-term effects 2009

Conclusion
The present results showed that adding CBT to either a low-fat
diet or a low-carbohydrate diet produced significantly greater
short-term weight loss in obese women compared with
diet alone. These findings support the efficacy of CBT in
breaking previous dietary patterns and in developing healthier
attitudes that reinforce a healthier lifestyle

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
borofergie said:
Dead right. The only people we hate more than the low-carbers are the ****ing Judean People's Front. :thumbup:

Splitters!

Unbeliever

WhitbyJet said:
Thank you Viv
I use low carb to help me control my diabetes but am not some kind me fanatic or fascist.

Fair to say that my family enjoy low carb meals but they have additions There is also a well stocked fruit bowl around.
Sadly every so often I receive via PM links to a particularly nasty low carb blog .
I ignore, I am no bully, each to their own I am posting recipes for people to try. I am a happily married mother of three,~have a part time job and do voluntary work in the community. I have no time for aggression, but I have noticed that certain older members are a bit edgy whenever low carb is mentioned. The forum must have been quite scary back then, I started lurking towards the end of the big change over in moderation team and must admit I didn't feel comfortable to join until much later.
I have a couple of friends with diabetes, one of whom would never ever able to eat low carb the way I do. With thanks to Catherinecherub who provided me with information to pass on to my friend, she is successfully managing her diabetes.

Judith, I love the idea of you , Viv and catherine cherub as a trio of fascists or fanatics! Viv being nearer to my age {I think}may remember the trio of schoolgirls known as The Silent Three in a well-known magazine for girls , These young ladies donned hoods and cloaks at night to preserve their anonymity when righting wrongs and helping others when thei rest of the school was abed. I will now think of you three in his way from now on. You are a perfect example of using different approaches to control your own diabetes and to help others. You have totally different approaches but open minds and don't try to impose your ideas on anyone else .

Totally agree about the edginess Judith. Now it has been brought out into the open perhaps that will be an end to it.
I hope so!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I remember The SIlent Three!

For a while I was a day pupil at a small boarding school which I'm sure was the model for St Trinian's. When I moved on to my next school we founded a secret society called 'FRED' - the "Federation for the Removal of Educated Drips". The entire cast of 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' were members. And at university 3 of us formed a 'Triumfeminate' - at which point all the male members of the department threatened to take to the hills and form a resistance movement! :lol:

Ah - happy days! and they still haven't got me into the asylum :crazy:

If the above rings a bell with anyone, please PM me :wink:

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

Love it Viv ! Ever thought of writing your memoirs? A good cure for depression I'll be bound.Hope you get some replies!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Just read this excellent defintion of "low-carbohydrate" from Volek, Phinney et al (the researchers that have done most of the relevant work on Ketogenic diets), that ties it into different metabolic states:

There is a suggestion of a threshold effect, which has led to the clinical recommendation of very low concentrations of carbohydrate (<20–50 g/d) in the early stages of popular diets. This typically leads to the presence of measurable ketones in the urine and has been referred to as a very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD) or a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (LCKD). Potent metabolic effects are seen with such diets but, beyond the threshold response, there appears to be a continuous response to carbohydrate reduction. The nutritional intake of <200 g carbohydrate/d has been called an LCD, but most experts would not consider that to provide the metabolic changes associated with an LCKD. We suggest that LCD refers to a carbohydrate intake in the range of 50–150 g/d, which is above the level of generation of urinary ketones for most people.

Isn't that remarkably similar to what xyzzy and Grazer et al regularly tell the noobs? 100-150g is a good place to start. (<50g is for the very low carb fundies.)

Note that they state absolute values and not "g per kg of body mass". This is probably because the whole system is regulated by your brain's requirement for glucose, which is pretty constant independent of how big you are (apart from me and my super-massive brain).

Defren

I haven't read or commented on this thread in a few days, but feel compelled to now. I am a very proud, and dedicated VERY low carber. I do it for ME!! I do not try to foist my views on others, I just do all I can to make my health the best I can. I won't hide the fact that for the first time I have read about a sort of low carb mafia, and that they were banned as troublemakers. While I absolutely agree trouble-making trolls should not be allowed to prevail anywhere, I am really rather cross at the suggestion low carbers are intent on pushing this issue for an unknown agenda. Most of us who low carb do it for ourselves, and offer it as a proven aide to help lower and stabilize BG. So what is the definition of a low carber? It seems to me it is what ever the individual deems it to be. Hana said less than 50g that is low. I take in around 20g or less a day, I call that very low, so I would agree with Hana. At the end of the day, does it really matter what a definition is? If we all eat to our meters, we will find a point we can cope and live by. Surely THAT is what we all want, not endless tennis matches of who's right and who's wrong.

Climbs down from soapbox...

sweetLea

Blimey. You'd get less argument and upset about your religion, sexuality or politics than your eating habits these days! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sweetLea said:
Blimey. You'd get less argument and upset about your sexuality than your eating habits these days! :lol:

:lol: ....the thread has grown arms and legs :lol:

sweetLea

Oh lord..............
Ok. I'll edit my post to include religion and politics.
Apologies to anyone who was offended. No offence intended.

Defren

Patch said:
What's sad about that?

From my point of view it's sad that the way each of us controls our own condition is fought over like hyena's with a carcass. Diet is a contentious issue, but I can't think of anyone who would not stand up and say that low carbs is the way to go. It's sad that the fight here is all about what constitutes low carb. Like I said does it matter what peoples perception of low carb is? No, it doesn't. It's a personal thing. If you find 200g a day or 10g of carbs a day keeps your BG low then that is your own body saying that figure is fine. My reasons for being cross is that low carbers are deemed to have an agenda. So as a very low carber, does that make me have a bigger agenda? (rhetorical). Rather that arguing over what is and isn't low carb why can't we take the subject of diabetes and treat those of us who suffer with it as individuals? I find it sad, the issue is now simply a stick to beat low carbers with.

Defren

sweetLea said:
Oh lord..............
Ok. I'll edit my post to include religion and politics.
Apologies to anyone who was offended. No offence intended.

No offence meant in my post either. This is getting way beyond silly now. PS I didn't take any offence at your post :D

Unbeliever

Grazer said:
Unbeliever said:
Don't you think xyzzy that there is always some confusion beween low carbing for weight loss and low carbing for reduction of blood glucose?

Totally! People often comment on the fact that I manage on about 150 to 180 grams of carbs a day. Fact is, this gives me an HbA1c of 5.9, although I suspect probably a fair bit lower now (might find out soon) I could get a lower HbA1c by dropping the carbs more, and would be happy to, BUT my weight problem is the opposite to most peoples here. With a BMI of 22, I'm a tad on the light side and struggle to keep my weight up. My weight undoubtedly drops rapidly with carb reduction (lost nearly 2 stone quickly on diagnosis and carb reduction) so I keep my carbs up as high as is reasonable commensurate with maintaining a good HbA1c. If I was overweight, I'd drop my carb intake a lot more. With me, it's about juggling carbs, BG and kilos.

I have just been re-reading this thread {or web maybe} The above just says it all really and little else matters, I juggle carbs , meds and exercise. to keep my levels as low as possible. I don't want to lose any more weight either.
This is what its all about -doing what suits you as an individual. I sppose thats why the DUK mag is callled Balance. That is what we have to do all the time.
I get depressed if this balance is disurbed causing my levels to rise. I wonuldn't ever think to blame it on diet alone.
If I thought it was due to the wrong level of carbs for me I would ry to adjust it for me.
I can't see much point in a definition. Too high or low would soon become apparent.
If your meter tells you that you are Ok and you are well in general I can't see a problem. I cannot say as some do that I am healthier since diagnosis , far from it. I would say that I am now recovering from the diagnosis and early treatment .
Its only been five years! Reducing starchy carbs to pre-diagnosis rates was the only thing that worked for me.
I don't think I can recover from the effects of the medication though.

Did anyone claim to have been depressed by low-carbing?

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
The only depression I get is with Drs who suggest DAFNE courses for Type 2's & then had the Gall to disbelieve my objections until I gave him a print out from DAFNE clearly stating how dangerous it would be!!! I then suggested the X-pert course for Type 2's to be told "what on earth is that"?. This is a GP who claims to be up to date with all aspects of Diabetes!!!! Really Scary!!!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The only depression I get is with Drs who suggest DAFNE courses for Type 2's & then had the Gall to disbelieve my objections until I gave him a print out from DAFNE clearly stating how dangerous it would be!!! I then suggested the X-pert course for Type 2's to be told "what on earth is that"?. This is a GP who claims to be up to date with all aspects of Diabetes!!!! Really Scary!!!
Worrying thing is, relatively speaking, he IS up to date, the others are even more cr*p!

Reactions: 2 people

mats

Have type 2. Started Low Carbing (LCHF type Atkins) May 2013. Lost about 3.5 stone and feeling top of the world! Took over 200 units of insulin when I started low carbing. Stopped taking insulin in November 2013.

HBA1c: April 2013 86, Nov 2013 42.....

Depression? Don't be silly.

On the contrary.. happier than for a long time with oodles more vim and vigour.

Reactions: 5 people

375lindyloo

I have suffered from depression off and on throughout my adult life. I was diagnosed Type 2 in 2008 after gaining a substantial amount of weight due to less exercise and bad eating whilst doing a part time degree suggested by my doctor to help my depression-I threw everything into it. I took the news well and just got on with it. Was put on Metformin and Simvastatin. The year after was quite ill and took myself off meds and improved but got a rocket from my gp. Liver function readings were through the roof and no one knew why. I found this forum and took the very good advice that is on here. I followed Newcastle Diet and lost a lot of weight and then reduced my carbs and lost more. The gp is now doubting that I was diabetic which I find ludicrous going by my blood glucose readings as I am now in non diabetic levels. My liver function levels have stayed elevated and the consultant has said they must be monitored. I have a contra indication warning on my notes regarding statins as they take liver function even higher. They want to declassify my diabetic status so I will no longer be monitored. This is great in one respect as I have tried very hard to reverse my symptoms but I will no longer be tested and no longer have retinopathy which scares the hell out if me! My point is it is not the low carbs bringing on a bout of depression it is the HCP who don't seem to give a s**t. Another reason for me to feel low is that if you are an older person they force feed you with the health issues that could kill you imminently. I feel like I have done my best to help myself with help from here but am on a hiding to nothing. They have taken the joy out of my life and the feeling of achievement-not low carbing!

Reactions: 5 people