Wondering - what is “normal” and what could be “diabetic”?

Julia124

Hello everybody,

I don’t have a diagnosis but rather have been asking myself if it’s worth investigating. Thought maybe I could use the community insight, because I don’t know if what I’m experiencing is normal or if it’s worth getting a test for.

Here’s a little explanation of my health:
- I’m a 26yo female, always had a regular low weight/BMI (about 20 BMI iirc). Always ate fine although never been a big eater.
- I’ve had strong and various allergies from the youngest age, as well as eczema and asthma. I had a lot of asthma inhalers, antihistamine and everything you can imagine to treat those.
- it’s better now, I only have the occasional asthma or hay fever, however when I use my asthma inhaler when I’m having a bout, my heart pounds heavily and fast and my body is shaking to the point I struggle to use a phone. So I have to stay about 1h in bed for these symptoms to calm down, thankfully I very rarely need to use the inhaler. I think it started happening when I was a teenager, dunno why.
- my main issue is nausea. For the past 5 years I have been struggling with almost chronic nausea and vomiting episodes. I attribute it to anxiety/heartburn because when I did some tests in the US (blood, urine and stool test) everything came back normal. I do remember having nausea episodes when I was 9 years old too, in the morning at school, sometimes intense enough for me to go back home.
- the nausea happens when I’m stressed, or when I’m hungry, or when I’m full. It makes it hard for me to know if I’m supposed to eat more or less, cause the hunger feeling is almost always replaced by nausea nowadays...
- I also noticed the past few years I am getting increasingly more sensitive to sugar, fat and alcohol. I mentioned to a doctor that drinking even a sip of alcohol makes me feel bad/drunk/wanna throw up, but they brushed it off as “good you won’t drink any then that’s better for the body”, but I used to be able to drink alcohol without any issue. Yesterday I gave myself a sweet treat with a glorious donut, but I had to eat it in 3 times because it made me feel sick, and I was still feeling sick this morning when I woke up.
- one detail that made me think about diabetes is that I’ve had hypoglycaemia episodes a few times. Once in high school during sports lesson, I had to stop running because I feeling nauseous, sweaty, shaky etc and had to sit on the ground. The teacher thought I had skipped breakfast but it wasn’t the case, I had taken my usual breakfast. A few years ago something similar happened, I went biking all day with a friend (we both don’t exercise a lot) and a few hours after we came back I felt terrible to the point we considered calling in a doctor. My legs had cramps, I was shaking, stuck lying on the floor, in pain and not able to do anything but try to keep it together. We assumed it was dehydration from the exercise, the morning after I was ok, although barely able to walk cause of the pain and fear of triggering the episode again.
- regularly speaking, I’ve never been into sports, but whenever I walk out to get groceries or exercise a bit at home, I feel unwell during or after it and have to sit down with water and wait half an hour to feel better. Sometimes eating something sweet helps. I also occasionally have headaches that happen when I’m late on my meals. I usually feel the need to eat something sweet when I need to work because otherwise I struggle to think, I feel tired and inattentive most of the time.
- I find my temperature regulation to often be unstable as well. I often have bouts of feeling super cold despite a ton of warm layers, followed by feeling super hot and sweating in a t-shirt by a 10c temperature. I have the occasional palpitations feelings as well

Apologies for the long description, I know only doctors can give a diagnosis. The reason why I’m sharing here is because whenever I brought up these symptoms, doctors or friends/family just brush it off as “it’s normal” or “you need to exercise more”. I don’t believe I’ve been tested for diabetes; from what I’ve read, diabetes diagnosis is done from getting blood sugar samples multiple times in a row, right?

Do you think I should bring it up to the doctors and insist that they take these symptoms seriously? Or that what I’m mentioning is probably just natural, occasional hypoglycaemia happening cause of lack of food/drink/exercise and stress?

I don’t know anyone with diabetes so I’m completely clueless as to what the intensity of the symptoms is supposed to be to be worth looking into...

Thanks in advance and sorry if this post is inappropriate!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you should go to a doctor to see what is going on, but everything you have mentioned does not say 'diabetes' to me - you probably don't want to mention diabetes to the doctor , because then they may just brush it off

Noting that undiagnosed diabetes will NOT cause hypoglycaemia, there are conditions that will, but not undiagnosed or untreated diabetes

And welcome to the forums

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The symptoms you describe MAY be low blood sugars.
With untreated diabetes we have the opposite problem - high blood sugars.
So diabetes is unlikely.

Regarding exercise, I would recommend building it up slowly rather than going on a long bike ride out of the blue.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many of your symptoms aren't those of diabetes but the best way to loosely check is to buy a glucose meter and check your BS from time to time e.g. when you think you might be hypo; also 2 hours after some typical meals. If your readings are either too high or too low then see the doc for further tests.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody,

I don’t have a diagnosis but rather have been asking myself if it’s worth investigating. Thought maybe I could use the community insight, because I don’t know if what I’m experiencing is normal or if it’s worth getting a test for.

Here’s a little explanation of my health:
- I’m a 26yo female, always had a regular low weight/BMI (about 20 BMI iirc). Always ate fine although never been a big eater.
- I’ve had strong and various allergies from the youngest age, as well as eczema and asthma. I had a lot of asthma inhalers, antihistamine and everything you can imagine to treat those.
- it’s better now, I only have the occasional asthma or hay fever, however when I use my asthma inhaler when I’m having a bout, my heart pounds heavily and fast and my body is shaking to the point I struggle to use a phone. So I have to stay about 1h in bed for these symptoms to calm down, thankfully I very rarely need to use the inhaler. I think it started happening when I was a teenager, dunno why.
- my main issue is nausea. For the past 5 years I have been struggling with almost chronic nausea and vomiting episodes. I attribute it to anxiety/heartburn because when I did some tests in the US (blood, urine and stool test) everything came back normal. I do remember having nausea episodes when I was 9 years old too, in the morning at school, sometimes intense enough for me to go back home.
- the nausea happens when I’m stressed, or when I’m hungry, or when I’m full. It makes it hard for me to know if I’m supposed to eat more or less, cause the hunger feeling is almost always replaced by nausea nowadays...
- I also noticed the past few years I am getting increasingly more sensitive to sugar, fat and alcohol. I mentioned to a doctor that drinking even a sip of alcohol makes me feel bad/drunk/wanna throw up, but they brushed it off as “good you won’t drink any then that’s better for the body”, but I used to be able to drink alcohol without any issue. Yesterday I gave myself a sweet treat with a glorious donut, but I had to eat it in 3 times because it made me feel sick, and I was still feeling sick this morning when I woke up.
- one detail that made me think about diabetes is that I’ve had hypoglycaemia episodes a few times. Once in high school during sports lesson, I had to stop running because I feeling nauseous, sweaty, shaky etc and had to sit on the ground. The teacher thought I had skipped breakfast but it wasn’t the case, I had taken my usual breakfast. A few years ago something similar happened, I went biking all day with a friend (we both don’t exercise a lot) and a few hours after we came back I felt terrible to the point we considered calling in a doctor. My legs had cramps, I was shaking, stuck lying on the floor, in pain and not able to do anything but try to keep it together. We assumed it was dehydration from the exercise, the morning after I was ok, although barely able to walk cause of the pain and fear of triggering the episode again.
- regularly speaking, I’ve never been into sports, but whenever I walk out to get groceries or exercise a bit at home, I feel unwell during or after it and have to sit down with water and wait half an hour to feel better. Sometimes eating something sweet helps. I also occasionally have headaches that happen when I’m late on my meals. I usually feel the need to eat something sweet when I need to work because otherwise I struggle to think, I feel tired and inattentive most of the time.
- I find my temperature regulation to often be unstable as well. I often have bouts of feeling super cold despite a ton of warm layers, followed by feeling super hot and sweating in a t-shirt by a 10c temperature. I have the occasional palpitations feelings as well

Apologies for the long description, I know only doctors can give a diagnosis. The reason why I’m sharing here is because whenever I brought up these symptoms, doctors or friends/family just brush it off as “it’s normal” or “you need to exercise more”. I don’t believe I’ve been tested for diabetes; from what I’ve read, diabetes diagnosis is done from getting blood sugar samples multiple times in a row, right?

Do you think I should bring it up to the doctors and insist that they take these symptoms seriously? Or that what I’m mentioning is probably just natural, occasional hypoglycaemia happening cause of lack of food/drink/exercise and stress?

I don’t know anyone with diabetes so I’m completely clueless as to what the intensity of the symptoms is supposed to be to be worth looking into...

Thanks in advance and sorry if this post is inappropriate!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You clearly have some unaddressed issues that need consultation & reviewing with. A health care professional.
With regards to the blood testing you ask about. An HbA1c would determine if you have been in the diabetic range in the last 3months.

"Dr Google" will give you any diagnosis to suite. But a Lab report from test samples taken, will give confirmation of facts.

Best wishes.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only have the occasional asthma or hay fever, however when I use my asthma inhaler when I’m having a bout, my heart pounds heavily and fast and my body is shaking to the point I struggle to use a phone.

in high school during sports lesson, I had to stop running because I feeling nauseous, sweaty, shaky etc and had to sit on the ground. The teacher thought I had skipped breakfast but it wasn’t the case, I had taken my usual breakfast.
....biking all day with a friend (we both don’t exercise a lot) and a few hours after we came back I felt terrible to the point we considered calling in a doctor. My legs had cramps, I was shaking, stuck lying on the floor, in pain and not able to do anything but try to keep it together. We assumed it was dehydration from the exercise, the morning after I was ok, although barely able to walk cause of the pain and fear of triggering the episode again.
- regularly speaking, I’ve never been into sports, but whenever I walk out to get groceries or exercise a bit at home, I feel unwell during or after it and have to sit down with water and wait half an hour to feel better. Sometimes eating something sweet helps.

Hi @Julia124

A bit of a mystery, but I can add my tuppence to say your not entirely alone in this

Asthmatic since childhood.
Faded away during teenage years, returned at 40's

Was offered bricanyl HTTPS://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/bricanyl-turbuhaler#:~:text=Bricanyl%20Turbuhaler%20contains%20terbutaline%20sulfate,they%20can%20breathe%20more%20easily.
I suffered immediately, shaking, tremors.
Known side effect
Had to leave work that day, felt dreadful.

Spoke to doctors
Changed meds to salbutomol, no issues.
I wonder what you take ?

I noted when seeking link, a warning about using for diabetics.
I wasn't DX'd back then, but now I wonder

As an aside, my asthma has receded since I went LCHF.
Several years of summer& winter colds and regular wheeziness, coupled with occasional attacks
down to zero attacks, little need for blue spray
And Zilch colds flu etc.in last few years

As for the other shaking.

Had similar pre DX.

Remember one once DX'd.

Had eaten sufficiently, but out just suddenly felt dreadful, effects same as yours.

Had them previously, and treated with a sugary treat, like chocolate or coke.
30 mins + after I felt better.

Obv scared pooh less reading up on T2D, so wary of doing same, but it was needed, so took the plunge.

As for "is it Diabetes"..I couldn't say.

The shaking does suggest some BG anomaly.

The inhaler COULD just need a change of meds,
BUT looking at links about asthma meds, it MIGHT be an effect IF you are DX'd as Diabetic of some sort

Can't be more help
Obviously seek more qualified medical help,
But I hope i might have given you a few points to Google.

Best wishes you find some resolution.

Reactions: Mike d

Julia124

Thanks for your replies! Very interesting.

I quite misunderstood then, I thought there was two types of diabetes, one that leads to high blood sugar and one to low blood sugar? I read on a diabetes website that hypoglycaemia can be a symptom of diabetes, is that not the case then? (On diabetes.org.uk) Is it only a consequence of treatment unbalance, and doesn’t happen with diabetes on its own?

It’s interesting to know it’s possible to get a glucose meter to check on BS occasionally. I might consider it.

And yes you’re right I should bring that up again with doctors. I just got demotivated/guilting myself into thinking my struggle isn’t real, cause every time I brought it up to a doctor they said it was nothing. So every time I notice a new trigger, I try to think of what piece of puzzle I could have possibly missed that could help doctors believe me/find a lead :/

If my hypoglycaemia occurrences aren’t out of the norm then that’s already good to know :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If my hypoglycaemia occurrences aren’t out of the norm then that’s already good to know :)

I don''t think you know if you are getting hypos yet. That is why you need a meter. And if you are getting hypos then a doctor should be able to diagnose the cause after the right tests. One of the many possible causes is reactive hypoglycemia, and we do have a forum devoted to it on here.

But I think you should be consulting a doctor about your overall symptoms. They'll be able to do the tests to detect what is causing your issues and then you can work on treatment.

Good luck. Do let us know how you go.

Julia124

Understood; I’ve booked an appointment so I’ll try to bring it up. Thanks for all the useful information! It helps to understand how such conditions get diagnosed.