1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Working and Diabetes (Sugar Levels)

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by ShannonMarie, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ShannonMarie

ShannonMarie · Newbie

Hi, I’ve currently been working at McDonalds along side University part time. Every time that i’m put into kitchen work when it’s really hot and fast paced my bloods always seem to rise high.. 20’s at the most! This is after i’ve washed hands, before i’ve ate anything at all for dinner breaks. I can start at 10am check before i start and they can be 6, but then going up to 20’s at my break at 12/1.
    When I'm on holiday they constantly rise due to the heat and always have to keep injecting and testing to manage them.

Does anyone reckon the heat and fast paced environment is the reason they are going really high? I’m not ill or showing any signs of infection and i’d have injected before for my breakfast and still before work, im showing good blood sugar levels. Thankyou

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I'm sure some others will come along. I don't seem to have a problem with heat in my "weather" raising my BG levels except when I try to take a shower they skyrocket. If it's a hot kitchen maybe that is more like how I react to a hot shower? If the temp is too high in a shower for me I can go up 3 mmols in 30 minutes. Others use showers to lower their BG level.

Work and fast pace usually lower your Bg level, but stress for a lot of people makes it go up? But maybe the other issue is hydration? When you are really busy sometimes you aren't drinking fluids, and lack of fluids can raise your BG level too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I thought of dehydration straight away - having haunted various lists for a few years, heat stress and dehydration have got quite a few mentions. One person used a chill vest which was frozen overnight and worn to prevent overheating - in their case out of doors, but it might help in a kitchen environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShannonMarie

ShannonMarie · Newbie

Yeah, I thought hydration, sometimes it may be, but usually working there you can go and get a drink of anything water/pop whenever you want. And when im on a da job (dining room clean shift) my bloods are fine throughout? It’s a mystery haha

5. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is the kitchen the most stressful place to be in the work....? what about serving?

I suspect it may be stress thats doing it.....although you should try and confirm the basal is good when you have a day of from work...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ShannonMarie

ShannonMarie · Newbie

Yeah, when Ive been off work i’ve been fine with my blood sugar levels at the moment and yeah its most stressful in the kitchen, but even with it being quiet they can get high. Serving etc is completely fine but when Ive mentioned this to try and serve more etc, they still end up placing me into kitchen. I have a secure other job on the side when I'm home from uni, Ive been told by others (friends) to quit as the managers are wanting me to work way to much along with not listening to my needs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a Diabetic you are covered by the disabilities act, the company has to make "reasonable" adjustments for you, I'd say working the till or floor is reasonable, approach your manager again and if it's not successful escalate to HR, mention of discrimination might work wonders for a more considerate attitude

8. AMLex

AMLex Other · Newbie

Hi,
    What Lessci said is right. I found this great article on Monaco Solicitors under disability and discrimination that explains how reasonable adjustments work and how to confront them if they refuse to do so!

9. mibby

mibby Type 1 · Active Member

I'm sure it's stress. Causes your body to raise sugar levels. Chill. It's a burger. Customer gets burger 30 seconds later, no big deal. Your employer needs to make allowances for your "disability" so don't stress about that either!

10. mibby

mibby Type 1 · Active Member

Oh, and for God's sake don't eat them yourself. I was forced to eat a Macdonalds a few years ago at Charles de Gaulle airport because everything else was closed. Did what I thought was a suitable injection, but 30 minutes later was over 15. Maccy D's fill the food with sugar because it make children want more. Avoid!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook