World Carnivore Month Results

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought it may be an idea to keep track of progress for those following World Carnivore Month eating only meat for January 2019. I know there's me and @Goonergal but if anyone else is doing it and wants to contribute feel free!
Enjoy those steaks!
M

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My start figures were
Weight 209.8 pounds
Body Fat % 26.9
Visceral Fat 12
BMI 28.5

This morning 04 Jan after only beef one meal a day with coffee and cream and tea and lactofree milk they are
Weight 206.6 pounds
Body Fat 27.3% Always a very variable figure on my scales!
Visceral Fat 12
BMI 28

Edit to add just checked Ketones at 1.0

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't know this existed, but I've literally been having steaks since Christmas Eve. Although that was with chips, so maybe cut them out...

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't know this existed, but I've literally been having steaks since Christmas Eve. Although that was with chips, so maybe cut them out...
Im not T1, but I would doubt that ingesting nothing but meat for a day, let alone a month, month would be safe for people with T1 diabetes

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im not T1, but I would doubt that ingesting nothing but meat for a day, let alone a month, month would be safe for people with T1 diabetes

Why wouldn't it be? Near enough no carbs, so no/little insulin required, therefore no swings in BS and therefore better control.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

Have you got a link to any details on World Carnivore Month?
Is it just generally carni, or is it one of the one-type-of-meat-for-30-day things?

I tried to sign up for the Shawn Baker 30 day Carnivore Challenge at the beginning of last year. Succeeded with the eating plan. Failed magnificently to negotiate his website and update software which seemed to be specifically designed to be impenetrable. Total waste of time. But I enjoyed the eating. :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why wouldn't it be? Near enough no carbs, so no/little insulin required, therefore no swings in BS and therefore better control.

Sounds great in theory but no carbs does not necessarily equate to none or little insulin. As for swings in BS, I follow a lowish carb diet and still have swings to the low side.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds great in theory but no carbs does not necessarily equate to none or little insulin. As for swings in BS, I follow a lowish carb diet and still have swings to the low side.

Obviously everyone is different, but I can have meat/fish days where I inject next to nothing, the basal insulin keeps my levels steady (when I say no insulin I mean bolus). Carbs have the biggest effect on BS levels, therefore less carbs means less insulin, which means less room for error. So less swings. Anybody taking insulin is at risk of hypoglyceamia, that's just how it is, doesn't matter what diet it is, but you are much less likely to have hyper's on a low carb diet.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Folks. Can you take the side topic of exogenous insulin requirements for protein &'the finer points of bolusing for the aformentioned to another thread, please..?

Thanks! :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Body Fat 27.3% Always a very variable figure on my scales!
Visceral Fat 12

Your scale gives you fat percentages??!!??? I have never dreamed of something that sophisticated. Is it a water scale maybe? In your hot tub?

Reactions: Freema

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your scale gives you fat percentages??!!??? I have never dreamed of something that sophisticated. Is it a water scale maybe? In your hot tub?

You can get quite a lot that do now, they basically send a low voltage pulse from one foot to the other, the time it takes for the pulse to return is proportional to the fat. But they're not very accurate and are affected by dry skin, blisters etc.

Reactions: zauberflote

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes its an Omron 508 not especially accurate but good for monitoring trends. It was fairly close to the one that did a similar thing at the gym I joined briefly so they are probably as inaccurate as each other!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

Is it just generally carni, or is it one of the one-type-of-meat-for-30-day things?

I tried to sign up for the Shawn Baker 30 day Carnivore Challenge at the beginning of last year. Succeeded with the eating plan. Failed magnificently to negotiate his website and update software which seemed to be specifically designed to be impenetrable. Total waste of time. But I enjoyed the eating. :D

https://www.shawn-baker.com/world-carnivore-month/

To be honest I haven't really done anything specifically to do with Dr B but just decided to do it anyway for myself..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

Not wanting to speak for bulkbiker, but this is the link he shared elsewhere

https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb/comments/aahea4/world_carnivore_month_is_january_2019_info_dump/

I managed to sign up on the Shawn Baker site a few days ago, but it’s not the most user friendly.

It’s general carnivore. I’m taking it to be any animal based product, not just meat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get quite a lot that do now, they basically send a low voltage pulse from one foot to the other, the time it takes for the pulse to return is proportional to the fat. But they're not very accurate and are affected by dry skin, blisters etc.
And levels of hydration I believe.. I usually do mine at the same time each day just after I get up and have peed but still get some wild swings especially when fasting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting back to topic, my starting figures were (actually taken on 28th Dec as I weigh every Friday).

Weight - 62.3kg
BMI - 23.7 (creeping up)
Body fat - my home scales are hopeless for that. Last reading at gym end November was 21%, so will run with that. Will measure again at gym at end of Jan.
Ketones - 0.8

Today

Weight - 60.7kg - down 1.6
BMI - 23.1
Ketones - 2.4

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting back to topic, my starting figures were (actually taken on 28th Dec as I weigh every Friday).

Weight - 62.3kg
BMI - 23.7 (creeping up)
Body fat - my home scales are hopeless for that. Last reading at gym end November was 21%, so will run with that. Will measure again at gym at end of Jan.
Ketones - 0.8

Today

Weight - 60.7kg - down 1.6
BMI - 23.1
Ketones - 2.4

So much for GNG pushing everyone out of ketosis by eating too much meat!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much for GNG pushing everyone out of ketosis by eating too much meat!

Metallic taste back today and had to end my run of OMAD and have a snack at work. BG down to 3.7 which is a sure sign I’m actually hungry.