Yes but no.

Headtheball

Have been reading this forum for about a month now very informative and friendly.So this is what has happened to me in the last month.

Was told at the start of the month Friday 1st February that I had got l2 diabetes my Hba1c was 56 (7.3) in my doctors surgery.To tell you the truth I had half expected this as I was well overweight and my diet was terrible and alcohol consumption was too much and I also was smoking.My blood pressure was going through the roof as well and my cholesterol high for someone with type 2.So i was put on metaformin 500mg once a day and a blood pressure tablet 4mg per day.

I decided to go on a low carb diet and change my diet completely.

Breakfast.. bowl of porridge with a 180mls of semi skimmed mild with a tiny pinch of sugar 1 cup of tea semi skimmed milk or Scrambled egg with 2 slices of whole grain bread.

Lunch..Turkey sandwich with lurpack butter 1 cup tea semmi skimmed milk.

Tea..chicken breast or fish/trout/smoked cod/sea bass/ with potatoes 1 cup of tea with semi skimmed milk.

Snacks 2 to 3 apples per day and maybe a sandwich at around 8-9pm if hungry.

And on a friday 4 bottles of bud 66 84 calories per bottle no carbs and an odd whiskey with diet coke.

I have lost well over 20 lbs to today.

The strange thing is I seen my diabetic nurse yesterday she took my weight waist measurements bloods and a urine sample my blood pressure had greatly improved.

Then today got a phone call to say my hab1c was 43 (6.1) and that maybe I should stop my diabetic meds.

Whats going on????

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could be they think your diet is good enough that you don't need the meds any more? 6.5 is supposed to be good, so maybe they're worried it's going to get too low with your current carb intake and meds too. The meds would be counteracting the effects of the bad diet, and if the diet isn't bad any more, you may be able to control your blood sugar just with diet. Sounds like a positive sign to me! :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An HBA1c reading of 56 was at the lower end of the diagnostic range and your weight loss and change of diet etc have paid dividends. Diet and exercise work better than metformin anyway. The problem for the GP is that not everyone has the discipline to diet and change lifestyle and when put on Metfomin, others think they can carry on as before and the meds will sort everything out. My HBA1c was in the 70s but I still didn't go onto Metformin. Now that I have lost weight, got fitter and completely changed my diet, I am getting readings in the high 4s 5s and low 6s.

Have a look at the 2013 cookbook download on this site. I found that developing an interest in food and preparing my own has helped me have a varied and enjoyable diet.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Headtheball and welcome to the forum :)

Just in case you haven't seen this already, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to as there is always someone who will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You've done well and it looks like you have reduced your body's insulin resistance and hence the blood sugars are now down to a very good point. I wouldn't worry either way about the Metformin and it may well be worth stopping it and seeing what your HBa1C is at the next review. As others have said, 500mg of Met will have only a small effect on blood sugar. Ref blood pressure meds, your nurse will tell you the right level to aim for and I think that should be 130/80 or less or thereabouts and you meds for that would be adjusted accordingly.

Headtheball

Thanks to everyone for their comments.The trouble is that with just being newly diagnosed you read a lot especially on the internet.And the amount of differing information out there is quite mind blowing.So that's why I joined here better hearing the experience of others than reading cold text from a medical book.

I was just a tad worried about my diet I noticed over the last week that on three occasions 2 late at night 1/2 am and 6.55 am in the morning my readings were at 3.9 3.8 and last night 1.55 am 3.9 so had a sandwich and levels returned to 6.5 after 15 to 20 mins.

So was wondering if this was a safe level as was told that anything below 4 could be possibly dangerous.

My reading this morning 10.38 am 4.9 before breakfast.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are just on Metformin then a hypo is very unlikely as it doesn't contribute to hypos. People vary in the level at which they go hypo and it may be you wouldn't go hypo until below 3? I would just keep an eye on it and perhaps tweak the food up a bit if needed. You liver will normally be quite good at rescuing the body if the sugar goes too low by pushing out a bit of glucose.

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After reading your post then Headtheball must be some hope for diagnosed around the same time and the rest of your post seems to mirror something I could have posted

Mini40

Hi

I am on a mission to reverse my diagnosis and I seem to be doing it! Well done, it's inspirational to hear that it can be done. I'm not even on diabetic meds. I went on a very low calorie diet (A version of the Newcastle Diet) and I am getting readings of 5.3-6.4. It'll be a week since my diagnosis, tomorrow. And this morning I have already lost 10 lbs!

Headtheball

Tested my blood sugars this morning about 1 hour afer breakfast 1 bowl porridge 200mls semi skimmed milk and 1 cup of tea I also had a small glass of diluted orange juice about 20 mins before I took my reading.Reading was 10.6 which really surprised me so took another 2 hours after breakfast reading 5.3.

So why so high then 2 hours later near perfect?

My average 30 day reading is 5.8 on my blood glucose machine.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Why so high? probably the orange juice - full of sugar. I can't eat porridge - spikes me too high. Also, 1 hour is a little early to test - 2 hours is better.

Don't worry too much about BG levels in the 3s, as long as you feel okay. The non-diabetic blood glucose range is 3.5 to 5.5 before meals/fasting, so I don't see why they should be any worse for well-controlled Type 2s.

The main thing is to remember that you are diabetic and you always will be. If you relax your eating habits your BGs will slowly but surely creep up. I've done that since Xmas, as something of an experiment - eating about 100g/150g per day instead of my usual 30g to 50g range. My next HbA1c will be interesting!

As for the Metformin - I'm on 3 x 500mg daily. I think it helps suppress my appetite, and it does give protection against stroke/CVD, which I welcome as a statin-refusnik. It's a safe drug, and I have no side-effects, so I take it. Each to his/her own! :wink:

Viv 8)

Headtheball

Thanks viviennem for your response.Was interested to read your carb intake I usually try for between 30-50 carbs per meal so was wondering if that is maybe a tad high are maybe its just horses for courses.What works for one maybe not for another.Also was mothers day yesterday so treated myself had steak with potatoes done with 1 cal spray and 2 chocolate waffles with ice cream and a cadburys cream egg and my levels seemed fine.That was the first time I have had chocolate and a desert never mind ice cream since I was told on the 1st of February I had level 2 diabetes.

One problem I have is this friday is I will be going out for the full day with my brother from around 11.30 am to no doubt around 9 pm to the pub for the gold cup at cheltenham.This is a yearly tradition which I dont want to give up.I know that I will probably drink too much (well it is a certainty).Im going to stick to whiskey with water/diet coke and bottled beer and have a meal around 6pm.

Am I being reckless.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Headtheball said:
Then today got a phone call to say my hab1c was 43 (6.1) and that maybe I should stop my diabetic meds.

Whats going on????

Hi Headtheball and welcome to the forum, it sounds as though you are doing all the right things so keep up the good work and your health will thank you for it :clap:

I really dont understand the mentality of some doctors/nurses!! If you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol they will happily prescribe you medication to lower them and once they have come down to 'in range' numbers they seem happy to keep prescribing them but many seem to think that T2 diabetics dont need any meds once their bg levels are down to under 7 mmol/L.

I think its strange that so many want to stop medication at the mid 6 level as to me, firstly it shows the meds are helping and secondly many T2 diabetics like myself like to keep under 6 mmol/L. I have just had my metformin reduced as my last HbA1c was 5.1% (32) but that was at my request, my doctor was happy for me to reduce it down by 50% but has never tried to stop my diabetic meds and I assume he thinks they are doing a good job.

I can only assume it shows the general lack of knowledge about diabetes shared by many health care professionals. They seem to believe quite wrongly that if you get your numbers under the top end of the NICE recommendations you are somehow cured!!! Surely they are aware that there is NO cure for diabetes at present?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit off-topic, but I agree with Sid about medication. Health professionals seem to attach more importance to the statins and blood pressure meds for diabetics rather than the diabetes meds themselves. I think it's because they are used to treating the damage done by poor management of diabetes rather than preventing the damage. I've recently stopped taking my statins as they are known to have a bad side and for me now they are unnecessary. Even my blood pressure tablets are really unnecessary but as they are minimum dose I'll carry on. I plan, however, to carry on with my Metformin even though I have started insulin as I know it helps with diabetes sugar levels and doesn't have a bad side. I also still need to get my HBa1C down a bit. So, I would say to anyone newly diagnosed, make sure your HCP focuses on your blood sugar and doesn't get side-tracked into cholesterol and blood pressure meds unless excessively high. It's high blood sugar that can wreck the body long-term.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
If you're going to the Cheltenham Gold Cup day, in your place I would count it as a "treat" day and enjoy myself - within reason!

It's perfectly possible, occasionally, to enjoy yourself but still watch your carb intake. You don't have to have chips - have a side salad; you don't really have to have a pud - go for cheese instead. Spirits or white wine rather than beer - but don't forget that alcohol "inhibits the inhibitions" - too much and you'll eat everything you shouldn't :shock: Been there - got the T-shirt! :lol:

I can eat things I shouldn't on occasion - fish 'n a small chips, or even a pud. Once in a while doesn't hurt - do it every day, and your blood glucose will soon start to creep up! As my present experiment is telling me only too well.

As for my carb amount - I still have about 4 stone to lose, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is carbohydrate that puts weight on me, as well as increasing my blood glucose levels. The diet I usually stick to is Viv's Modifed Atkins Diet, which is a "Sticky Thread" in the Low-carb section. It works for me - not only weight loss, but also improved blood lipid profile and lower blood pressure. Have a look at it, and see what you think. It's easier when the wind isn't in the North, and the blizzard isn't coming through the cracks round the windows and doors! (I exaggerate, but it was dreadfully cold yesterday, even indoors!)

So enjoy the Gold Cup, and start again the day after. But watch those carbs!

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
visitorf1 said:
how can you eat like that,be diabetic and still have low numbers ? i know if i ate that type and amount i would be way above recommended numbers .

I agree, visitorf1, I must have got so distracted by the Cheltenham Gold Cup that I skipped over this bit - Headtheball posted:

. . . steak with potatoes done with 1 cal spray and 2 chocolate waffles with ice cream and a cadburys cream egg and my levels seemed fine.

I couldn't eat the potatoes, never mind the chocolate-y things and ice cream!

According to the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible, a Cadbury's Mini Egg has 67.8g carb per 100g, and 485 cals ditto. I don't know how much a single egg weighs - I can't bear them, I can feel the sugar rotting my teeth as it slips past (just like Mars Bars, yuck!), but they are much too high carb for me. Exactly when did you test after that lot, Headtheball - and what was you BG reading?

You are almost beginning to sound to me as if you're in denial :wink: - I do hope not! :D

Viv 8)