What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Skyr yoghurt with blueberries
L: another ropey school lunch. Slice of dodgy looking ham, rocket salad, olives, coleslaw. Other salad bar choices consist of beans, noodles, pasta salad, sweetcorn and couscous :eek: Not ideal!
D: coconut flatbread with Marmite and cream cheese; slice of cranberry cake from Ewelina's blog http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/ with clotted cream:hungry:

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was unwell this morning hence the following today:

B. 2 hard boiled eggs. 3 cream crackers. Water

S. Coffee with cream

L. 3 cream crackers with butter & marmite

D. 2 scrambled eggs with cream 4 cream crackers buttered

Lots of water during the day.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. Mug of white coffee with sweetener.
Skipped lunch.
T. Green tea with peppermint infusion and sweetener, 3 coconut macaroons.
S. @ewelina's Bacon & leek quiche, red coleslaw (red cabbage & red onion with chilli mayonnaise), 2 squares of 73% cocoa orange & ginger dark chocolate.

I had a couple of Sula sweets and some walnuts and hazelnuts during the day.
I will try not to drink any merlot tonight as I think I have been drinking too much lately and should cut down on weekdays.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Tetley Redbush with vanilla tea
Lunch: Forgot
Early dinner: 2 chipolata sausages, 4 rashers bacon, half can Napolina plum tomatoes, 4 grilled mushrooms, 2 fried eggs and half of a lidl protein roll
Snack: small bag of pork scratchings and possibly a couple of squares of Green & Blacks (think it's 85%)

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been off the boards for a while and grappling with the new diet of trying to stay low carb and high fat whilst having to be grain free, sugar free, soy free and dairy free. (The dairy was the last one I gave up and half a stone dropped off in two weeks!) So, yesterday was:
B: Almond butter bread, 2 eggs fried in olive oil
L: Kale & courgette soup with a few lentils and bacon bits, chocolate chia pudding with unsweetened almond butter fudge and raspberries
D: Courgette “spaghetti” with beef mince and coconut aminos, almond vanilla scone with avocado & walnut chocolate spread (all unsweetened)
Have completely lost my sweet tooth! I’ve also given up evening snack and that’s improved my fasting BS. Now eating within a 12 hour window 6.30am- 6.30pm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today's teenage kids attitudes towards their parents!!
Nothing yet, i don't normally have breakfast i don't really like it.. Is this bad??

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing yet, i don't normally have breakfast i don't really like it.. Is this bad??

Not really, I don't bother with it much. I just don't feel like eating that early.

Today:

Breakfast: Tetley Redbush tea with vanilla

Lunch: home made smoked fish and vegetable soup (cooked a few leeks, fennel, kale, cauliflower with a glass of chardonnay and fish stock, roasted garlic and fennel seeds then whizzed it up and will add the smoked cod just before reheating each day) served with a swirl of (probably) sesame oil on the top

Work packed meal: Romaine, 3 cherry tomatoes, a couple slices of red onion, 2 boiled eggs, 3 slices ham, 40g mature cheddar, 40g home pickled baby beetroot and a tablespoon of hellmanns original mayo.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't usually have breakfast. I don't feel like eating anything until around midday at the earliest.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs and cream, scrambled

L: cheesecake slice, coffee n cream

D: 2 chicken drums, broccoli, cauliflour, mayo

S: ham, peanuts, coke zero

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. White coffee with sweetener.
L. Green tea with lemon & ginger infusion. Two chicken drumsticks. One coconut macaroon.
S. Buttered toasted LIDL hp roll with crab terrine. Royal Gala apple. 2 squares 73% cocoa dark chocolate.

Some Sula fruit sweets, walnuts and hazelnuts during day.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today's teenage kids attitudes towards their parents!!
Thanks for your replies, you here so many people say, 'Oh you must have something for breakfast its the most important meal of the day'.. I tend to eat when i am hungry, i will often eat at different times to my family..

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. Streaky rashers, fried egg, fried tomato, fried mushroom in coconut oil
1 slice BURGEN bread buttered. Tea.

Will finish this later

Sweet-Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The rain.
About half a pack of those diabetic biscuits from Quality Save... No sugar, but full of carbs!!! Think I'll leave pricking my thumb til tomorrow.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen it in Sainsbury, in their cooking ingredients aisle. Didn't buy it, as use anchovies and GF tamari sauce already, and find it quite umami-ish

EDIT: @Brunneria , I forgot they list sun-dried tomato as an ingredient, and that has originally put me off - do you taste any sweetness from it?

I don't think anyone should be able to taste umami paste, just like you wouldn't want to taste Worcestershire sauce, or even salt. They are condiments that subtly add to the overall flavour of the dish - and if you can taste them then you have used far too much.

I think I said earlier that I use about 1/4 teasp in a dish that would feed 4 ppl. But I tend to add it in tiny dabs, stir, taste, and add more if necessary, so it is probably better to just say less is more.

Once I made the mistake (when I was an Umami Newbie) of smearing a tiny bit on a slice of toast. Very stupid. It knocked out my sense of taste for hours.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday was

B: coffeencream
L: lidl HP roll with marmite and butter
D: chicken breast, leeks, chorizo in a cream cheese sauce. sort of made it up on the spot, but will repeat cos it was delish. Also sugarsnaps and broccoli.

Broccoli may be a superfood, but my goodness it is boring. We need to eat it less often.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today:

Breakfast: just Tetley Redbush tea with vanilla x 3

Lunch: Smoked fish soup with chilli oil

Work meal at local pub (pre-pantomime outing): 'All Day Breakfast' which consists of 1 big sausage, 3 rashers bacon, 1 fried egg, some fried mushrooms, about 3 tablespoons of baked beans. I will not be eating the hash browns, the fried bread or bread and butter that is always included.

Because there are so many of us going for this meal we have to pre-order and everything else on the menu given to me to chose from was carb served with carb like lasagne served with garlic bread or roast beef dinner (next to no veg but loads of roasties, mashed potatoes AND yorkies). The all day breakfast sees a bit of a carb fest as well but not as bad as all the rest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
S; half a lidl roll with butter and marmite
L: I was kidnapped, frogmarched (under duress) to a local restaurent, and force fed prawn cocktail (no bread), boeuf bourguignon, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green beans and a large new potato. Then it got worse. They made me have A Chocolate Nemesis which was a kind of gooey chocolate fondant thingy in a pastry tarte case. With a strawberry and a sprig of mint, and a tablespoon of dense whipped cream. The Nemesis was somewhere between a brownie and a fondant. Ate the middle, left the pastry.

I managed to escape my captors at this point (and found my blood glucose meter).
Fortunately, it would appear that the stress of kidnapping has automatical bg lowering effects. I haven't been higher than 6.5, for which I am VERY grateful.

Doubt if I will eat again today. Still stuffed 5 hours later.

Reactions: 7 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs and cream, scrambled

L: coffee n cream, cheesecake slice

D: 2 patties, 2 eggs, broccoli, cauli, mayo, coke zero

S: peanuts, ham, mayo, cheese, coffee n cream, 2 x pepsi max

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They made me have A Chocolate Nemesis
Who were your captors? I want to run and offer my wrists for handcuffing!
B: Yoghurt with mixed nuts
L: Hummus with celery sticks
D: Will be a 'use all the leftovers in the fridge ommlette'

I caved in at work today and ate a very chocolatey chocolate biscuit. :(

Reactions: 4 people