What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see people you eat hummous (I love it) and lentils, aren't these full of carbs and should be totally avoided?
I eat hummous and it doesn't do anything bad to my BG's. Haven't tried lentils yet though. All you can do is try it and then test your BG's to see how you cope with it. Everyone is a little different with what they can and can't tolerate.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mmm, indeed it seems hummous has only 8% carbs so could I eat easily 100g in a day?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Try it and test with your meter at intervals to see how it affects you. Houmous spikes me but, then, so do mushrooms which are low carb but a home made choc truffle which I had this evening had no discernible affect on my BG. Everyone's different.

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see people you eat hummous (I love it) and lentils, aren't these full of carbs and should be totally avoided?
I reintroduced lentils (and beans) after getting BS levels and weight under control and wanting to add the calories. Used to keep daily carbs to under 50g but now working with about 60g per day. I can get away with about 60-80g of cooked pulses (about 10g carbs) without spiking. It was trial & error.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: 2 high meat content chipolata, 4 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs, half a Lidl Protein Roll, Third can Napolina plum tomatoes and mushrooms fried in butter

Lunch: Costa Massimo decaff Americano with little jug of cream

Dinner: Lidl Venison haunch, roast cauliflower, broccoli, fennel, courgette and steamed Brussels sprouts. Some sort of gravy / sauce which I haven't worked out yet.

Snack(s): 1 or possibly 2 of the fresh cream and brandy truffles I made yesterday. I can really recommend making these - they are very easy, incredibly yummy and a real taste of Christmas.

Reactions: 2 people

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B: none
L: Lidl protein roll, toasted, loads of butter, fried egg (too, too yummy!)
D: will be vennison casserole, large pile of veges, raspberries & Greek yoghurt

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fine with hummus, but terrible with lentils. so I think it is the oil in the hummus that slows the digestion of the carbs down...

Today:

B: kipper and scram egg with half a slice of brown toast (in cafe)
L: not needed
D: chicken with leek, red cabbage and a cream cheese sauce. If there is any chorizo hiding in the fridge I will pop that in too, but I think I will be disappointed.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 boiled eggs...2 small slices toast, with lots of butter

S. Cup of tea with 1 Morning Coffee biscuit

L. Steak & kidney with lots of broccoli

S. 2 Plums

Later.....probably toast & Marmite or Peanut butter & tea.

D

Deleted member 43917

B. Wholemilk yoghurt & 1/2 a banana
L Sardines with oil & lemon, steamed potato (a little), garlic, leek & broccoli
S cashews & some chocolate coins (gave in to craving)
D full up - so herbal tea

have been eating too many carbs so finally next shop will not be buying bananas or potatoes or muesli - i had to write this down to remind myself!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OMG, I would love a banana. I used to eat two a day and it's the one food I miss most. There is absolutely no good substitute for mashed banana on thick granary toast.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
banana (Birds) custard, on the other hand, was one of the highpoints of my childhood.

made with whole milk of course.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG, I would love a banana. I used to eat two a day and it's the one food I miss most. There is absolutely no good substitute for mashed banana on thick granary toast.
Agree, especially when the toast was spread with lashings of salty butter and the banana was mashed with honey! That takes me back to my childhood!:joyful:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know what I'm going to dream about tonight....... :(

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: sausages and scrambled egg
Afternoon dinner: roast chicken, mashed cauliflower, savoy cabbage with cream and bacon (will be making this for Christmas dinner as it is v tasty!); ricotta & lemon cake with custard
Evening snack: chocolate chia seed cupcake with peanut butter icing
Have done a bit of baking today to stock up the freezer for Christmas. Now have several items to take to friends and relatives so they don't stress about what to feed me!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, tomorrow us Mr. Chook's birthday and he has chosen for his birthday to go to Scarborough. Which traditionally means a cooked breakfast, a fish'n'chips lunch and a restaurant meal later on the way home . Help!

Reactions: 3 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A good start.
B: protein roll with 3 rashes of bacon with a tiny dollop of ketchup as a treat.
L: broccoli, green beans, brussels and cauliflower with cream cheese or grated cheese melted on top.
S: almonds and or pork scratchings. Soya coconut and almond milk in decaf coffee with 2 pips. Going to 1 pip tomorrow.
D: not sure but it will be late so I'll make it small.
Dietician advised me to eat more on a morning so I can burn it off rather than more, late. Common sense but not always practical in our house. I'll try. But still no porridge for me until more weight off.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well, tomorrow us Mr. Chook's birthday and he has chosen for his birthday to go to Scarborough. Which traditionally means a cooked breakfast, a fish'n'chips lunch and a restaurant meal later on the way home . Help!
Hi @Chook I give my partner and kids the carbs and pinch something from their plate. O/h loves it. He doesn't know he is getting restricted carbs in new year. Boys too. :p

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: bacon and eggs

D: chicken breast with bacon, cream cheese and cheese, creamy broccoli, coke zero

S: peanuts, coffee n cream, pepsi max, chicken leg with peri peri mayo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffencream x 2
L: hummus (with a spoon) and 4(!) squares good choc. Too much choc, as my meter confirmed :(
D: baked salmon and broccoli with cheese plus sugarsnaps. Lemon chia pud.