Which Bread?

sunn49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm pretty **** sure this would get my HbA1c back through the roof to the bad old days... so much so there is no chance I would even risk it.

I take it you're new in these parts. Could I ask how long you have been eating to this and what your BG's are?
In fact, what's your DB situation?
Cheers
indeed im new to this, the figure is the recommendation by the uk xpert diabetic. being as a recent diagnosed its wiser & better to understand of the illness from the approved dietitians than getting mixed up information from internet.
the course will broad you the ranges of food & portions that we should eat within safe limit. you dont want to eat the wrong food but at the same time you dont want to suffer & miss out.
once you have this proper guidelines its up to us to decide what you should & should not eat. in the end youll have your regular check up & you can monitor & take it from there.
notice i dont give you any information on what you should & shoulnt do, this is much more related to what you ate overall. the only way to understand it, is to learn& know more about it. best of all the course is available for all diabetes. incidentally the one i attended was for type 2 & im monitoring my intake with myfinesspal app. work wonders!
no i have a recheck up as yet but from my chanes of dieting, i can feel that im much healthier & that im more in control of what i eat & why. but of could i may have to regulate as time goes by.

sunn49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm pretty **** sure this would get my HbA1c back through the roof to the bad old days... so much so there is no chance I would even risk it.

I take it you're new in these parts. Could I ask how long you have been eating to this and what your BG's are?
In fact, what's your DB situation?
Cheers
sorry my friend ive replied back to your comments to the person below somewhere. my apologies im doing this from my phone & the page is jumping all over the place

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
After going through this thread, I just think the importance of a meter to self test is paramount, because so many in here have varying blood glucose levels from different types of bread, some can tolerate certain types and others can't.

I've always thought its so individual....I can eat rice and milk chocolate [not together ;) ] without spiking but according to all the rules I shouldn't be able to. Give me some mashed/baked potato or most types of bread, low GI, high GI, Spelt, Sourdough etc. and I spike sky high. Am okay with the Lidl High Protein ones/LivLife but nothing else and believe me, I've tried so many as I love bread !

As diabetics, we're all treated as 'blanket' ..... this won't suit you but this will.....hmmmm.

I've seen my blood sugar levels so much improved since I went Lowish carb but am starting to think that this isn't the whole story unfortunately because of our individuality. So I think we're on the way there and what an enlightenment the 'low carb' road is, has really helped so many of us but there's so much more we don't know/need to find out about diabetes.

Reactions: 8 people

originalgaga

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I may be weird, but I decided to give up bread completely when I was newly diagnosed T2 just over a year ago. I really don't miss it at all now. I eat everything I would normally have in a sandwich, in a sort of lettuce leaf wrap!...yes, ok I am weird!!...but I soon got used to it. I'm afraid toast is out of the question though!:happy:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What is good to replace bread? I love my toast in the morning..
Try the Burgen Soya & Linseed loaf. It's available in Sainsburys and Tesco, and probably other supermarkets. Costs about £1.50, sometimes less on offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crispbreads are a good substitute, with far fewer carbs. You get the grain taste and a satisfying surface for butter and cheese etc. Finncrisp is my usual, less than 4 g carb per slice.

There's a good seed bread recipe in the cookbook "Real Meal Revolution" if you like the taste. I try these recipes, but always come back to crispbread, simple and cheap.

Reactions: 2 people

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg
Hi, I have experimented also with different bread and found Burgen seeded (approx. 11 g per slice) was fairly good for my glucose levels, but eventually have settled on Hovis 7 seeded wholegrain (approx. 16g per slice). A low carb/high fat diet does seem to work - definitely for me - and I also tend to eat Atkins low carb products on occasions. Best find for me is Organic "No Sugar" yoghurt, which is great for a snack without any nasty spikes occurring.

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I personally use Sukrin if i want a "bread" fix. 1 carb a slice if you slice it right!! Not cheap to buy but it tastes good :)

Reactions: 3 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
hi, my advise to you is to get your gp putting you on diabetes education course. this will give you a clear information on diabetic, what you can eat & whats good for you. its the only way to fully understand, get the grip of it & live a normal life again.
like you, i was concerned & confused but my gp had asked me if im interested on going to the course. it was the best decision ive ever made, its a 3 days courses but well worth it. id highly recommended! by the end of the course you wish you knew about the course when you were prediabetes. you could easily reverse back by knowing what to eat with healthy diet.

to put your mind at rest, you can eat pretty much everything but with the right portions & how many calories intake per day. from the course you will learn all that.

with that, all youll need to do is to make sure that whatever you eat, you dont exceed the daily recommendations as below:
Calories: 2000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Total Carbs: 260g
Sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

this is your allowances to eat per day. to understand fully in depth, i highly recommend you to get your gp putting you on dietitian course or youd never be overcome your worries. good luck!

Unfortunately, this kind of "advice" is why so many people have progressive diabetes. Their blood sugars are constantly high due to the amounts of carbohydrate suggested, they don't realise as they only have the HbA1c ( the check up blood test) every 6 months or even less, and they find themselves on increasing amounts of medication.
Carbohydrate is sugar, this is what it turns to in the bloodstream. The reason so many on this forum have good diabetic control is that they significantly lower their carb intake, they also self monitor tbeir own blood glucose levels. With an advised level of 260gm of carb daily, I will almost guarantee that the diabetic control will be poor, and that associated complications will occur.
Nobody needs to take advice from people on an Internet forum, it is a matter of free choice. I feel the easiest way to approach this is to get a cheap meter and self test. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.
And lowering carbs by varying degrees, is why so many of us are able to obtain levels that are either close to, or in non diabetic range. The choice is yours.

I do think the remark about newbies is unnecessarily harsh. We've all been there at one point - encouragement is better than condescension.

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally use Sukrin if i want a "bread" fix. 1 carb a slice if you slice it right!! Not cheap to buy but it tastes good :)
I also use their sesame flour for baking plain and savoury muffins. A 250g pack makes me enough fairly substantial ones to last a week and and the plain versions are just over 2g carbs each, so equivalent to 2 slices of their bread.

Robbity

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also use their sesame flour for baking plain and savoury muffins. A 250g pack makes me enough fairly substantial ones to last a week and and the plain versions are just over 2g carbs each, so equivalent to 2 slices of their bread.

Robbity
According to their website a 1kg bag of bread mix is £16.20 :eek:. Is this some kind of misprint ?

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just looked at that, nearly fell over with shock!

I bought some of their sesame flour the other day. Any one got some good rcepies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to their website a 1kg bag of bread mix is £16.20 :eek:. Is this some kind of misprint ?

Why are you asking me???? I'm not responsible for their website, and as far as I can see it's got nothing at all to do with my post about sesame flour.

Robbity

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why are you asking me???? I'm not responsible for their website, and as far as I can see it's got nothing at all to do with my post about sesame flour.

Robbity
Ok, keep your hair on, I mistakenly quoted you instead of tallpaul. Sorry.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey tall pail, what is sukrin , where do I get it and how much does it cost please?

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I bought some Sukrin bread mix from Amazon but thought it very expensive....bought one packet which was over £4 and makes a small loaf. Tasty but I wouldn't buy it again. If I want a bread fix I stick to LivLife [Waitrose and some Morrisons, about £1.59 a small loaf] or 39p protein rolls from Lidl, large and half a roll is plenty for a sandwich... Livlife 3.8 carbs per slice, can't remember exactly re the rolls but low carb.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey tall pail, what is sukrin , where do I get it and how much does it cost please?
Sukrin are a Scandinavian firm that produce a variety of low carb, sugar alternative, and gluten free products, so many of them are suitable for diabetics. They have a UK web site and you can get their products from various other places like Amazon. Google will give you a list of other UK suppliers - I think Waitrose may stock some of their stuff too.

Robbity

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be weird, but I decided to give up bread completely when I was newly diagnosed T2 just over a year ago. I really don't miss it at all now. I eat everything I would normally have in a sandwich, in a sort of lettuce leaf wrap!...yes, ok I am weird!!...but I soon got used to it. I'm afraid toast is out of the question though!:happy:

seems very sensible to me.... there are other things to eat, like and enjoy, just takes a little time to find the sods.... leaf wraps work so good. :)

Reactions: 4 people