What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 5 of 800 calorie Blood Sugar Diet combined with low carbing experiment (not 8 weeks though as I am going on holiday next Friday).

FBG 6.3

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar free hazelnut syrup (my favourite)
Lunch: can of Asda lemon sardines with a lot of home made sliced and grated red coleslaw.
Dinner: roast chicken with a mountain of creamy Parmesan cabbage (made with lidl Turkish yoghurt as I have run out of double cream)

Just realised - LOT of cabbage today.

Reactions: 8 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
experiment

Don't want to stick my oar in where it's not wanted, so please tell me to butt out if you wish......but all this "experimenting" must be playing havoc with the way you react to food.

Don't you think sticking with a way of eating for a few weeks and waiting to see how it works might get you better results longer term ?

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't want to stick my oar in where it's not wanted, so please tell me to butt out if you wish......but all this "experimenting" must be playing havoc with the way you react to food.

Don't you think sticking with a way of eating for a few weeks and waiting to see how it works might get you better results longer term ?

:) :) No I haven't got a problem with you asking. :) :)

I'm following the plan in Michael Mosley's 8-week Blood Sugar Diet book and it seems to be going okay. I'm eating pretty much the same low carb food I'd eat normally - just less cheese, butter, cream, chocolate and wine. Not feeling hungry, cold or tired and my digestive system seems to be okay, too.

The reason I decided to try it out is to reduce my BG which has been going up recently but also because of a genetic predisposition i have to very high BP. The very high BP is, at present, just about controlled with meds but, despite them being doubled since last November, it still keeps going up. Medical opinion is that losing weight will help and I did lose a lot using LCMF last year but I haven't lost an ounce since Christmas and my BP keeps on rising. (So I'm a bit desperate!)

Even though it's only been 4 days on the BSD my BP has come down a bit :) but so far my BG is more or less the same. :( If I have continued success over the next week I will be able to go on holiday feeling a bit happier knowing that there is something I can do that can help that doesn't involve yet more medication.

I bet you're regretting asking now. ;)

Reactions: 9 people

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. Porridge with ground flax & chia,last tsp cream& Turkish yog. + Swtnr.
L. Stk & Ale pie/3 egg size potatoes/cauli,broc.& carrots. Lemon
Meringue Pie with cream(left some pastry!) Diet Coke. PUB LUNCH!!
D. Probably Ryvita with Marmite

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
Breakfast and dinner. Raspberries and cream

L. Leek and Stilton soup with low carb roll.

@amgrundy . Hello . No this isn't a Lidl roll as we haven't got a Lidl here. It's a homemade roll that was posted n one on the threads. It only takes 2 minutes in microwave. :)

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted member 43917

Day 5 of 800 calorie Blood Sugar Diet combined with low carbing experiment (not 8 weeks though as I am going on holiday next Friday).

FBG 6.3

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar free hazelnut syrup (my favourite)
Lunch: can of Asda lemon sardines with a lot of home made sliced and grated red coleslaw.
Dinner: roast chicken with a mountain of creamy Parmesan cabbage (made with lidl Turkish yoghurt as I have run out of double cream)

Just realised - LOT of cabbage today.
Your dinner sounds yummy - how do you make Parmesan cabbage?

Reactions: 5 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
B: chia pudding
L: burgen bread sandwich
D: cod in tomato, olive and caper sauce; garlic spinach; and sautéed peas, lettuce and chicory

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was right - it was weird but strangely yummy. I added bit of chopped celery, radish and cucumber. If you like hot 'n' spicy I can really recommend those sardines!!
Yes those sardines are yummy and warm

Reactions: 3 people

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your dinner sounds yummy - how do you make Parmesan cabbage?
It's dead easy. Put enough cabbage finely sliced in a large frying pan with a knob of butter (no water) then open cook very slowly until the cabbage is almost cooked. Add a crushed garlic clove and salt and pepper. Turn the heat up a bit to boil off the excess fluid that has come out of the cabbage. When the liquid has all gone stir in a tablespoon of double cream and 25g of grated Parmesan per person and keep on a gentle heat until the cheese has melted in to the cream to make a sort of sauce.
HTH

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @neil1945 for posting the link again. I'm not sure how to do that. I'm really hooked on these rolls. They are easy, quick, tasty, low carb and versatile. Thank you again for posting link.

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: toast, fried eggs, sautéed mushrooms
L: Lidl roll, avocado, goats cheese, prawns & mayo
D: roast duck leg, sweet potato

Need to get back on track as HbA1c up to 43 and have put on 1kg :(

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey peeps,
not sure if this happens with anyone else... I find now when i do eat carbs i find that it sets my appetite off mad for more. This happened to me tonight with din. I read somewhere that the reason why carby food is considered as comforting is because of blood sugars rising it gives that effect initially- hence the addictive high...? What do you guys think?

Brekkie: sausage egg mc half muffin
Lunch: yogurt and nuts, pack of crisps
Din: chicken noodle stirfry
2 toast, more crisps!!!

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,

I'm just getting started on LCHF. So far I've been consuming:

bacon and eggs
cheddar omelette
pork steak with snow peas in garlic butter
rib-eye steak with green beans in garlic butter
"fromage blanc" (8% fat) with defrosted broken raspberries
raclette (deli meats and melted cheese but without the boiled potatoes and bread)
mesclun salad - as a salad-dodger I call it salad for beginners - (with black pepper on the leaves and balsamic and olive oil dressing)
stuffed peppers
tomato soup (but it's very low in carbs)

apples, oranges
cashews (but I've since learned that they aren't the best type of nuts to eat)
chocolate 98-99% cocoa

milky coffee (microwaved milk with a shot of espresso) but I've started now to add cream to black coffee instead
beer (oops, need to cut that out)
whisky (think that's a better choice?)
tap water

there's a bit too much salt in there though, so I need to cut down and some fish for next week would be good

cheat meal planned for tonight (we have "civilians" coming over ;-) ) which I'm going to enjoy given the hard work involved BUT my goal is to not go mad and also be able to get back on the wagon tomorrow morning. fingers crossed...

have a lovely weekend!

Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet you're regretting asking now. ;)

No it wasn't really a question, more an observation.

I was going to say something similar to your Q the other day about your FBG going up despite doing IF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
FBG 6.1

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with teaspoon of Monin gingerbread flavour sugar free syrup

Lunch: Cold roast chicken, celeriac chips, griddled asparagus. (I'll be glad when all this roast chicken has gone.)

Work meal: 300g bag of Asda American Slaw (with the mayo dressing that came with it), yet more cold roast chicken, large pickled cucumber, pickled egg.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday Friday 19/02/16
B 2 slices grilled dry cure bacon / fried mushrooms and tomatoes cooked in olive oil spray. 1 slice burgen bread toasted.
L 1 tin mackeral fillets in tomato sauce / 2 crackerbread / low fat liver pate and tomato 1 plum.
D 1 red pepper stuffed with cheese / onions / mushrooms and ham cooked in oven. / half a banana.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks @Chook - that's definitely something I'm going to try!

Today's food:-

B - green smoothie - cabbage, broccoli, apple, almond milk; Greek yogurt with ground almonds & tsp cocoa & apple
L - two hard boiled eggs, one carrot, spoonful ground almonds
S - mackerel fillets in tomato sauce
D - going to be turkey casserole & greens

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now this demonstrates how sad I am and the lengths I will go to ...
Using McD's own nutrition calculator...
To find the calories etc for a sausage patty, deduct the values for a standard sausage & egg muffin from a DOUBLE.
To find the value of a cheese slice, deduct the value of a hamburger from a cheeseburger
They don't have the value of a fried egg on site, but luckily Google does.

So you now have the nutritional values for a sausage patty, an egg and a slice of cheese. Add these up and then deduct the total from the values for a sausage & egg mcmuffin. et voila - the values for the bun.

The bun is 154 cals, 24g carbs, 7g protein and 3g fat - or thereabouts. So half a bun is 77 cals, 12g carb, 3.5g protein and 1.5g fat.

This has been a public service announcement for diabetic fast food eaters. Sponsored by Burger King.
you missed out the most important bit.. what's the values for the sausage egg and cheese? I might have to have one..

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my first day of low carb diet
just decided to not make vege omelette tonight...... i made cauliflower cheese bake for me and my other half it worked out at approx 51g carbs for the whole dish :) enough for 4 portions

1 medium cauliflower
half pack of chorizo slices
whole pack of peperoni slices
1 tub lacto free soft cheese
200g pack of lacto free cheddar
250ml soya milk
125ml lactose free cream
approx 1oz of butter
1/2 jar of bolognese sauce

its in the oven now, smelling lovely, cant wait to eat it now

Last edited by a moderator: