Type 2 Life

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just re-tested And it is 7.7 Meh! So I have just eaten some scrambled eggs And will go And get on with my day And stop obsessing!

Very odd as I have done nothing differant at all to normal....as I say Meh!

Sounds like my day! I'm taking joy in the fact the sun is shining and I love my job - so I'm off into the day and I'm sure my BG will settle itself down

Reactions: 2 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
@johnnybaker45 welcome to the forum, my son and younger brother have Aspergers Syndrome too. Well done for eating healthily, my son finds trying new foods very difficult because of sensory difficulties.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like my day! I'm taking joy in the fact the sun is shining and I love my job - so I'm off into the day and I'm sure my BG will settle itself down

Yep me too, I have eaten some scrambled eggs, have been drinking lots, already done two hours work and will go up to the gym at 10am for an Aqua class followed by a Pilates class.

I am sure it will settle down and stressing about it is not going to help it do so!

And yes it is a beautiful day so will get outside for a Vit D boost later!

Reactions: 6 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. 5.7 when I went to bed & 6.8 when I got up! Liver dump? Tho I did have a lie in today. Gonna try change my breakfast, any suggestions for a low carb, low sugar , breakfast? Thanks. Have good day everyone

Reactions: 7 people

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all,

Hope you're all well and having a good day. Hugs and best wishes for all who need/want them xx
I know we're not supposed to put fasting levels on here but I've just got to share. 5.5 @ 7.15 (1st time under 6 for fasting) and then 6.6 @ 1hr after breakfast of cheese and grapes with a cup of coffee.
I'm really delighted with this and if I'm honest the way the levels are coming down overall (ignoring the odd blip).

Now it's confession time :( I still take 1 teaspoon of sugar in tea or coffee, down from 2. I have tried all the sweeteners on the market but they upset my stomach. I've also tried my drinks without sugar, but end up wasting them because I really don't like the taste. I haven't got much of a sweet tooth (except for sugar in my tea and coffee) so I am making allowances with any other carbs and sugars I consume, the weight is still coming off, albeit slowly and with little to no exercise.

Conscience eased, chat later.

Reactions: 4 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.7 when I went to bed & 6.8 when I got up! Liver dump? Tho I did have a lie in today. Gonna try change my breakfast, any suggestions for a low carb, low sugar , breakfast? Thanks. Have good day everyone
Hi @maureen5752 . I find breakfast a bit of a challenge, especially as I usually only have a 10 minute window between shower/dressing/makeup/emptying the dishwasher and leaving for work! I usually fall back on either egg mayonnaise (made the day before) or cheese stuffed mushroom (again, made the day before - large flat mushroom stuffed with cream cheese, baked in the oven and then zapped in the microwave to reheat in the morning).

At the weekend I quite often have scrambled egg and bacon. I've tried berries and yoghurt but that spikes me too high. I know other people can tolerate it though. I also make low carb "bread" from ground flaxseed and eggs, which I eat toasted with marmite. But I don't make it every week and it is expensive.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maureen5752 . I find breakfast a bit of a challenge, especially as I usually only have a 10 minute window between shower/dressing/makeup/emptying the dishwasher and leaving for work! I usually fall back on either egg mayonnaise (made the day before) or cheese stuffed mushroom (again, made the day before - large flat mushroom stuffed with cream cheese, baked in the oven and then zapped in the microwave to reheat in the morning).

At the weekend I quite often have scrambled egg and bacon. I've tried berries and yoghurt but that spikes me too high. I know other people can tolerate it though. I also make low carb "bread" from ground flaxseed and eggs, which I eat toasted with marmite. But I don't make it every week and it is expensive.
Thanks very much for your help I will try that, recently my usual breakfast seems to spike me a bit so want to try othere things. Have a good day

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How do you make your bread with flaxseeds, I've not eaten bread for 2 days now, it's 11carbs a slice but trying to cut down thanks

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting results this morning!

I tested at 6am with a 7.8! Which was a bit of a what! So re-tested straight away And got a 6.8, then a 7.2, 7.3 And a 7.0 all in the space of 5 minutes? Anyone got a Scooby-Doo as to what is occuring?

Meter checked And control solution applied all ok

Arrrrgh!
It can be cold/hot temperature and /or battery @Lindy1706

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning Well I was beating myself up last night about eating a bar of chocolate (Divine dark 60% with ginger and orange), BG 6.0 at bed time - 5.9 at 6am. Now been for 30 minute swim (fairly hard, constant front crawl) and I'm up at 7.8! Haven't been this high for ages ... slapping myself while I eat the health spinach and poached eggs Did also eat biscuits with cheese (super low carb ones but around 10!) ...

Just putting yesterday down as a bad day and getting back to LCHF today
@PenfoldAPD I spike everytime I exercise. The gym is the worst. Swimming not so much if I relax before I get out and test before I fight with wet body and clothes. I also have a tiny bage of pork scratchings or 5 nuts before a swim to stop my spike.
Many regular people find exercise stressful. I'm wondering the more relax I'd get at the gym the less I'd spike. Not yet experimented with that one. ;)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting @ickihun I really enjoy swimming and feel pretty relaxed - even if working hard, I'm going to see if when I'm eating good solid LCHF I spike - I don't think I was. I wonder whether my carb overload last night didn't help.

Then today I had a burger in a bun (just shoot me now!), one hour afterwards I'm at 8.9 :( good test - but not one I'll be repeating!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting @ickihun I really enjoy swimming and feel pretty relaxed - even if working hard, I'm going to see if when I'm eating good solid LCHF I spike - I don't think I was. I wonder whether my carb overload last night didn't help.

Then today I had a burger in a bun (just shoot me now!), one hour afterwards I'm at 8.9 :( good test - but not one I'll be repeating!
@PenfoldAPD everyone deserves a treat! As long as it's not a regular thing. Some avoid treats because it takes them weeks to recover. I'm lucky one day later I'm ok. I'm still sure your exercise would have spiked anyway. Well, i do but as you know we're all different. Have a look with your meter.
Please dont beat yourself up about a treat. It doesnt bode way for long term success. :) You're diabetic not a saint. :)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make your bread with flaxseeds, I've not eaten bread for 2 days now, it's 11carbs a slice but trying to cut down thanks
I can't remember where I found the recipe, somewhere on this forum I think.
1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup ground almonds
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
Herbs, seeds etc to taste (I usually put in sunflower seeds)
4 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons of water

Mix everything together, then leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you heat the oven to 180C.
Pour into 1lb loaf tin - smooth top and then bake for 35 minutes
Allow to cool. It won't really rise so I slice it horizontally rather than vertically, then cut each slice in half to give 2 slices. I get 8 slices per loaf this way. I only ever toast it, as it's quite dense/too heavy for sandwiches. Delicious with marmite!

You might need to play with the timings a bit - the original recipe said to cook for 25 mins which wasn't long enough for my oven. 35 - 40 works best for me otherwise the loaf is still wet in the middle.

Reactions: 3 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"I'm a diabetic not a saint" ... love that @ickihun - I'm down to 8.0 after 2 hours so maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought. Next time I'll just try the burgers and skip the sweet potato fries!

Reactions: 10 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
@TooManyCrisps thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a low carb bread recipe but there are so many to choose from! I can't get to my local Lidl very often because I don't drive and I'm getting fed up of lettuce wraps :) I also love marmite butter so you need something solid to spread that on! Just out of interest approx how many grams are in a cup? I think I read somewhere it's about 100g

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A head like I'm under water. Checked sugar and 7.4 which considering I had a white roll out of greggs whilst out it could have been higher. Nibbled 5 nuts for breakfast with no coffee as ran out of time.
Hoping once I have my veggie dinner I'm back to clear headed.
Cooked a pan of mixed veg late last night to get me started today. Out all day so had a chicken salad roll. Best option available. Pulled ends off too to prevent a huge spike.
What a life! lol

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't remember where I found the recipe, somewhere on this forum I think.
1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup ground almonds
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
Herbs, seeds etc to taste (I usually put in sunflower seeds)
4 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons of water

Mix everything together, then leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you heat the oven to 180C.
Pour into 1lb loaf tin - smooth top and then bake for 35 minutes
Allow to cool. It won't really rise so I slice it horizontally rather than vertically, then cut each slice in half to give 2 slices. I get 8 slices per loaf this way. I only ever toast it, as it's quite dense/too heavy for sandwiches. Delicious with marmite!

You might need to play with the timings a bit - the original recipe said to cook for 25 mins which wasn't long enough for my oven. 35 - 40 works best for me otherwise the loaf is still wet in the middle.
Thanks that sounds very tasty will make some, bought new bread tin last week, must have know you were gonna give me your recipe thanks. I don't know what's going on today got up with bgs. 6.9. After breakfast 2hrs later 8.2. Before lunch 5.2 two hrs later 5.1 weird for me, must be the celeriac mash I had with my lunch. Thanks again

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a low carb bread recipe but there are so many to choose from! I can't get to my local Lidl very often because I don't drive and I'm getting fed up of lettuce wraps :) I also love marmite butter so you need something solid to spread that on! Just out of interest approx how many grams are in a cup? I think I read somewhere it's about 100g
Just over 100 gms by my reckoning.

johnnybaker45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Aggression, violence, bad language, class-riddenness.
I found out today that as well as having a confirmed diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and suspected ADHD I also received a diagnosis of full blown emotionally unstable personality disorder (ICD-10 Classification - World Health Organisation) which could explain a lot of the difficulties I have with managing my type 2 diabetes mellitus and impulsive comfort eating and extreme emotionality could be contributing to high blood sugars. I ate curried tuna and rice for my dinner at quarter to 5 this afternoon and my blood sugar just now at 8:37 pm was 11.7 mmol.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, sorry not been around much recently. Going back to work after the Easter Hols has been SO hard, since I know I'm likely to be made redundant at the end of this term I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself!!
On the plus side, I celebrated my one year LCHF anniversary by buying myself a Fitbit Charge HR fitness tracker and have been driving my family batty by trying to hit all my targets :hilarious: Don't suppose anyone on here is a "fitbitter" and would consider being my fitbit friend??
I'm catching up on previous posts ... forgive me if I've missed anything big!