Why don't some people get it?

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Brkfst: Bacon and eggs
Dinner: Steak
That's it, usually. Never feel the need to "fill up".
I have the same breakfast now, and I do like steak but think I may need to mix it up a little. I am one of the people who 'live to eat' rather than 'eat to live' (unfortunately). Thank you for answering my question.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does red wine not increase BG? oh please say no, please say no!
Allegedly not.. I don't drink at all but have read that a glass is possible without raising (and maybe even causing a slight drop). As always experimentation and your meter are your friends.. good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does red wine not increase BG? oh please say no, please say no!

Red wine, dry white, whiskey, vodka (with sugar-free mixes of course) will not raise your BS but be aware they are very calorific, so if you need to lose weight keep the units down. :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey, I've been told to drink some alcohol to put some weight on!!

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat what I like and medicate accordingly. My cholesterol is 1 and always has been low without meds.
My Hb1ac is 6.1 Nd my sugars are all within my target range 4- 8.
It isn't uncommon for me to eat 4 slices of pizza, chocolate eclairs, fries, burgers etc. I basically eat the way I always have. I do watch calories and try to stay under 2000.
My attitude is life is short and I'm not going to compromise what I enjoy.
I've been T2 for at least 30 years but didn't take care of it until 15 years ago and noticed vision loss. If I have an occasional high reading I don't freak out about it, just take some correctional NovoRapid. To me I have the best of both worlds.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat what I like and medicate accordingly. My cholesterol is 1 and always has been low without meds.
My Hb1ac is 6.1 Nd my sugars are all within my target range 4- 8.
It isn't uncommon for me to eat 4 slices of pizza, chocolate eclairs, fries, burgers etc. I basically eat the way I always have. I do watch calories and try to stay under 2000.
My attitude is life is short and I'm not going to compromise what I enjoy.
I've been T2 for at least 30 years but didn't take care of it until 15 years ago and noticed vision loss. If I have an occasional high reading I don't freak out about it, just take some correctional NovoRapid. To me I have the best of both worlds.
Brilliant!

DeniseM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 15 years ago, was put on Metformin and told not to eat anything sweet. I was not overweight but diabetes is in my Dad's side of the family. I was never told about a LCHF diet and in fact, only found out about it when nosying around this forum! I asked by DN about it and she said to eat small amounts of carbohydrates! I'm getting conflicting advice! Consequently, I am eating small amounts of carbohydrates and a healthy diet but have now been put on insulin. I'm very confused and don't know who to believe any more.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 15 years ago, was put on Metformin and told not to eat anything sweet. I was not overweight but diabetes is in my Dad's side of the family. I was never told about a LCHF diet and in fact, only found out about it when nosying around this forum! I asked by DN about it and she said to eat small amounts of carbohydrates! I'm getting conflicting advice! Consequently, I am eating small amounts of carbohydrates and a healthy diet but have now been put on insulin. I'm very confused and don't know who to believe any more.

@DeniseM Just try it :) , loads of success stories on here . My bloods were haywire last summer (high teens) so went LCHF and they started dropping after 2 weeks and were "good" after 4 weeks...

6 months later ,3 stone light and my DN said I am "No longer in the diabetic range"

Yes I cleaned my diet up as well using myfitnesspal and exercise 3/4 times a week (weights) but have been doing that for decades so probably not a factor....

My advice try LCHF for a month or 2 , and see where it takes you, its not much time in the great scheme of things and could change your health for the rest of your life:)

Jase

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome.
I am afraid there are a number of reasons for the conflicting advice on diets for T2s.

While there have been low carb diets around for centuries, and they were originally used for treating diabetics, attitudes in the diet and medical professions changed a lot with dietary fashion (the whole low fat for heart health idea that hit in the 60s and 70s). The NHS adopted this low fat thinking wholesale, and is still using it, whereas newer, more rigorous research has shown that the whole low fat/cholesterol/heart health hypothesis was based on faulty interpretation of selected evidence.

Unfortunately this return to older lower carb thinking has not yet worked its way through to most NHS workers. I read a comment recently which stated that prevailing NHS dogma usually runs about 15 years behind the cutting edge of research - which is a depressing thing, if it is true.

So, long story short, I would try it for a couple of months and see how you feel (adjusting insulin intake accordingly), and how your blood glucose levels go.
- but one thing I do agree with your nurse on - small amounts of carbs are MUCH better than big amounts of carbs! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsmusic

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now getting PM's saying I offended people with this post. If I have I can only apologise, but if you read my posts you should know that was never my intention.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed, I appreciate all replies.
Hi Penfold. I'm just like you, diagnosed in January and simply getting on with making the most of the situation and dealing with it. Yes, results are easily achieved with Low Carbs etc. I appreciate your plain speaking, and agree, it's just not that impossible to deal with if you want to ensure a healthy future. I too got a massive shock but have got my blood sugar down from 20 to between 4.7-6.5 within 3 months...by doing the right thing...and feel really well too. Good luck to you!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mrsmusic well done to you, sounds like you are winning the battle. I've accepted that some people need to be spoon fed - I was on a course this week and some of the other attendees take no responsibility for their own health.

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
Ive had type 2 for about ten years now, I had 27 DVT's and five blood clots in my lungs over a 25 year period which messed with my circulation this led to a sedentary lifestyle because I couldn't move around so much as I did before the health condition.
Type 2 I will never understand now on insulin my sugars are always around 17.0 in the mornings and low again down to 6.0 or below by 5pm every day without fail. my weight loss has been progressive as I went up to 27 stone and now I am 19 stone, dieting gets harder every time I try it again. I think Stress has a lot to do with it as I have been doing my level best to care for my elderly parents for the last three years.
I know it will kill me if I don't get a handle on it and yes I'm scared it will kill me off quicker.
But the needs of others are much more important at the moment than my own.
everyone says I must look after myself but that is much harder to do in reality.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ive had type 2 for about ten years now, I had 27 DVT's and five blood clots in my lungs over a 25 year period which messed with my circulation this led to a sedentary lifestyle because I couldn't move around so much as I did before the health condition.
Type 2 I will never understand now on insulin my sugars are always around 17.0 in the mornings and low again down to 6.0 or below by 5pm every day without fail. my weight loss has been progressive as I went up to 27 stone and now I am 19 stone, dieting gets harder every time I try it again. I think Stress has a lot to do with it as I have been doing my level best to care for my elderly parents for the last three years.
I know it will kill me if I don't get a handle on it and yes I'm scared it will kill me off quicker.
But the needs of others are much more important at the moment than my own.
everyone says I must look after myself but that is much harder to do in reality.

Your needs are important and can be managed around caring for others. Honest.

Diabetes on insulin is managing your insulin and food. Whether sedentary lifestyle or not. Fit people going to gym and work etc have to allow time to manage. And take control and so can you.

Your post sounds as if you are a little down in heart and well being.... This is hugely important to gaining better physical health... I lnow you can improve things... Just from the one post I have read. Crikey, you've lost 6st and that require some good thoughts and determination.

Please, don't despair... Diabetes is liveable and should not condemn you to less good thoughts... You've done well so far.

If you are dropping with your bloods then your food and insulin isn't balances. It can be improved.... What insulin are you using. Do you test before each meal and 2 hours afterwards.

I feel that you have resugned yourself to struggling with diabetes etc but it is so possible to get improvement....

P

paula.nolan42

I have just finished the Diet Doctor 2 week LCHF Challenge, I think it's fair to say the LCHF has certainly lowered my BGs. And I learned a lot from it. I certainly will take on the Low Carb element. But as for the High Fat, that has been less than ideal, initially I lost 1.7kg but that week back on in week 2. No weight loss for me and my jeans feeling slightly snug again. I don't get out for a walk everyday and my work life is sedentary, I simply don't burn enough up calories to allow for all that extra fat. And I was never full, never felt satisfied, even though I ate plenty.

What Diabetes has shown me is that I have a serious problem with my relationship with food. I have no off switch. And I have very little control. And when it all goes bad, I binge and gorge myself. Giving up cigarettes has been easier than changing my food habits. I was out with a friend yesterday for a catch up, as we talked, I realised I was using the language of addiction. And I think I might actually have to seek advice for what's going on in my head about all this.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I have just finished the Diet Doctor 2 week LCHF Challenge, I think it's fair to say the LCHF has certainly lowered my BGs. And I learned a lot from it. I certainly will take on the Low Carb element. But as for the High Fat, that has been less than ideal, initially I lost 1.7kg but that week back on in week 2. No weight loss for me and my jeans feeling slightly snug again. I don't get out for a walk everyday and my work life is sedentary, I simply don't burn enough up calories to allow for all that extra fat. And I was never full, never felt satisfied, even though I ate plenty.

What Diabetes has shown me is that I have a serious problem with my relationship with food. I have no off switch. And I have very little control. And when it all goes bad, I binge and gorge myself. Giving up cigarettes has been easier than changing my food habits. I was out with a friend yesterday for a catch up, as we talked, I realised I was using the language of addiction. And I think I might actually have to seek advice for what's going on in my head about all this.

Paula, sending empathy and understanding - I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. Under pretty awful stress and old habits are showing themselves..it is incredibly tough to control. Just wanted to say that x