Type 2 Life

S

Sable_Jan

Well yesterday was a bit odd had evening meal which very unusual for me was a pasta bake Bg didn't budge from 6.6 till 3 hours had past then 7.0 and dropped down to 6.3 after about 4 hours it often takes me well over three hours for my BG to peak. was 5.0 this morning.
With some foods I tend to peak later generally the lower GL foods or I've added a lot of cheese or its a fattier meal. The peak though is generally lower and not a spike like you'd expect from the total carbs in the meal. Good result anyhow for you, well within range

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

I had to share the good news with my friends - mum had a breakthrough today! I test her BG when I visit her on Tuesdays and Sundays (my younger brother, her carer has a phobia of needles and blood) and since she was hospitalized twice last year she has struggled with her bgs. Her usual reading is 10 or 11 (!) but today it was 8.9! She has consciously been cutting down on her carbs and going out for a walk every day and it has obviously paid off. I'm so proud of her :)
That's fantastic - and I'm sure your amazing support has gone a long way towards helping your mum achieve it. Well done to both of you on a brilliant result!

Reactions: 6 people
D

debrasue

You will do it. Are you upping your walking? Walking and water can make a huge diffference.
My toddler has gone buggyless and it's great but very slow pace. Sometimes I feel like a snail. Ha ha
I'm upping my swimming this week but I have to do it slowly as last time I got a trapped nerve. Hum. Oouch!
It can be frustrating when you know the answers but cannot get on with it. But like you I know the key which always helps.
Keep focused for now. Even til August? If you can go that long. But ultimately you now know how to recover and get on, if it happens again. ;)
Enjoy the snail's pace, because it won't be long at all before you're having to race to catch up! :)

S

Sable_Jan

I had to share the good news with my friends - mum had a breakthrough today! I test her BG when I visit her on Tuesdays and Sundays (my younger brother, her carer has a phobia of needles and blood) and since she was hospitalized twice last year she has struggled with her bgs. Her usual reading is 10 or 11 (!) but today it was 8.9! She has consciously been cutting down on her carbs and going out for a walk every day and it has obviously paid off. I'm so proud of her :)
Great News for you. Well done Mum. Not so happy about the so-called "carer" though....but I guess if she's good enough in every other respect I'm not the one to judge

D

debrasue

Morning Folks,

7.3 this morning so frustrating.

I had a week of being in the 6's for my fasting, my weekly average has been between 5.7 And 5.9 for the last few weeks, before food I average 5.6 and after I average 5.7.

I feel like I am doing something wrong and am going in the wrong direction. If I had eaten someting full of carbs or fallen off the wagon in a spectaculair fashion then I would get it and put that right but

I am being angelic over food, sticking below 20g carbs a day, I am excercising......I am losing weight.

I Know I am new to this but I really hoped to be getting fastings in the low to mid 6's by now.......
In a word arrrgh!
Being very new to this too, I can't offer you any suggestions. But I can offer support and big hugs, and my admiration for what you've achieved so far! Don't be hard on yourself; I guess what we've both learned so far is that this is a very frustrating condition and there aren't any quick fixes. You're doing exceptionally well and I can empathise with your frustration when it's one step forwards and one step back. but thank goodness for these forums and the support in dealing with that and getting back on track!
Hugs xx

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Like to have a treat, apple crumble, gonna use almond flour & oats but don't like sweeteners, anyone got any ideas pls? Hope everyone's ok, I've been having bad headaches and feeling very cold last few days , hope not coming down with anythink, tho I've felt very cold, shivering, since become diabetic, never felt cold before tho, confused, sitting with blanket wrapped around me now. Good day to you all, like the photo Liam, put the Epsom salts back in the cupboard!
Hi Maureen! I don't like most sweeteners, either, but Triple Zero Stevia (available from the online shop on this site) is very good, as long as you remember it's roughly twice as sweet as sugar, so just use half the quantity. Hope you feel better soon - it does sound as if you may be getting a bug or something... Hugs

D

debrasue

Thanks, I'll make enough for 3 of us then, me you & your other half, ha ha, I'll try the flat sugar free lemonade, sounds good, you didn't know about the Epsom, this is how we all learn, by talking on the forum, we all learn from each othere, I always put cinnamon & coconut in my crumble, have a hood evening thanks again
Mmmm, you've got me lusting after apple crumble now. I'm going to have to go and make some - love the idea of the cinnamon and coconut, too!

D

debrasue

I baked biscuits today. Butter, sugar, flour, egg & custard powder. I ate every single one. Yesterday I had a burger and chips from the chippy, that was a blow-out after 3 pints. And on Saturday I had McDs. Is it any wonder I feel like *****.
Do you know why, Paula? Big hugs x

D

debrasue

If I have a spell like that I get rid of all the naughty foods and ingredients (give them to my daughter) and fill my cupboards/fridge with the "good stuff" .

Have a look at the Low carb recipes as you obviously like to bake, stratiacella cake (uses almond flour and sweetener amongst other stuff) download the recipe books from the DUCK website then bake/cook yourself silly. You may end up eating too much and being stuffed but at least your bs won't suffer
I got an " almost bounty" recipe of the Scream Thread yesterday which sounds good. High calories but low bs
@ewelina's Lemon Cake is great for this, too, especially if you add a stevia & lemon juice drizzle - tastes like real cake! http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/05/thislemon-cake-is-based-on-my-vanilla.html

Reactions: 6 people
P

paula.nolan42

Do you know why, Paula? Big hugs x

During my 2 week low carb challenge, I did a lot of thinking, and I looked at a lot of my behaviour and so on... all I can tell you is, when I see McDs I want it... as soon as the thought hit my head, I want it like nothing else. The craving becomes unbearable. But I am also someone who sabotages my own success, the LCHF from dietdoctor wasn't the success I needed it to be and so I think I kinda said 'sod' it. Yesterday I felt so low that I made the biscuits just because I could. I feel so poorly today, I am on a day off. I feel sickly and so down in myself. Im disgusted with my inability to be in control of this.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maureen! I don't like most sweeteners, either, but Triple Zero Stevia (available from the online shop on this site) is very good, as long as you remember it's roughly twice as sweet as sugar, so just use half the quantity. Hope you feel better soon - it does sound as if you may be getting a bug or something... Hugs
Thanks for the info, I will buy and try, I love cakes ect, but hate sugar & milk in drinks, make me feel sick, (sorry). Tried one sweetener once and was a sick, last night I was so bad, shivering, sniffing so weak, pains under arm pit, got cold again. I hadn't had cold for years till I became diabetic now I'm ill all the time, I was never cold either now I'm always so cold , just got to get on with it, have a good day yourself. Thanks again

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those who like thick yoghurt, I was buying total yoghurt, £2-50 for 500g, but started making my own again, found new quicker way to make, it's great nice and thick. If anyone's interested I can post the easy instructions on here. It doesn't have to be thick for those who don't like it that way

Reactions: 8 people
D

debrasue

Thanks for the info, I will buy and try, I love cakes ect, but hate sugar & milk in drinks, make me feel sick, (sorry). Tried one sweetener once and was a sick, last night I was so bad, shivering, sniffing so weak, pains under arm pit, got cold again. I hadn't had cold for years till I became diabetic now I'm ill all the time, I was never cold either now I'm always so cold , just got to get on with it, have a good day yourself. Thanks again
I agree with you about sugary drinks, Maureen. Take care of yourself - hot water bottle, duvet in front of the TV, and a nice warm drink. Hugs x

D

debrasue

During my 2 week low carb challenge, I did a lot of thinking, and I looked at a lot of my behaviour and so on... all I can tell you is, when I see McDs I want it... as soon as the thought hit my head, I want it like nothing else. The craving becomes unbearable. But I am also someone who sabotages my own success, the LCHF from dietdoctor wasn't the success I needed it to be and so I think I kinda said 'sod' it. Yesterday I felt so low that I made the biscuits just because I could. I feel so poorly today, I am on a day off. I feel sickly and so down in myself. Im disgusted with my inability to be in control of this.
OMG - that could be me writing!!
I have always followed the Seafood Diet - if I see a particular item of food, I WANT it, right away, even if it had never entered my head before. I hate things like Easter, with all the ads for Easter eggs - turns me into a nervous, overeating wreck! (Although not this year, as I discovered this website just at the right time.) And what on earth is it that they put into McDs to make it so compulsive?!!
I can relate totally to your success sabotage, too, and the "because I could" mentality. Up until the past few months if I ate even one thing "off plan" when on a diet, I would then proceed through the cupboards like a locust, thinking: "Oh, soddit - I've blown it today now anyway." And when I felt poorly I always felt I had to self-medicate using food and edible "treats".
Don't beat yourself up, honey - I'm sure we're not the only two people in the world to feel like this! We're not Superwoman, or saints. If you're having a bad day, how about just going with the flow, and telling yourself that today you're going to **** well have whatever you want, but then you'll pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back with the programme...? That may not be the best advice in the world, but I know from personal experience that feeling weak and disgusted, and trying to force myself to be "good", simply makes me 10 times worse.
You're not a weak person - you couldn't have achieved what you already have if that was the case. But sometimes - for all sorts of reasons - we can't be in control and maybe we just have to accept that, do whatever it takes to get through it, and move on.
Big hugs xx

S

Sable_Jan

Hey, we all, I'm sure, get down days like that I'm sure....it isn't always easy. I fly through low carb days sometimes, cooking good, tasty, low carb food and really enjoy it but others I'm my own worst enemy....my weakness is thickly sliced buttered bread or toast dripping with butter. A slight saving grace of that is the butter does help keep the highs down a bit....
Don't beat yourself up about it (i know it's hard when you feel like cr*p) but make yourself somethin nice for lunch....cheesy scrambled egg with tomato maybe (3 eggs and mayb use cream instead of milk)
I can ignore feeling hungry but cravings are harder to beat. 're McD'd, make your own burger, fry some onions, slice some cheese and tomatoes put the hot onion s on top of cheese and tomatoes to melt it and serve on bed of lettuce....divine....I usually have two burgers

Reactions: 8 people