Type 2 Life

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Providence 62 - Hi :) - When attending your Diabetes Review mention about the Metformin not agreeing with you. The Diabetic Nurse CAN write you a prescription for the SR Metformin.

D

debrasue

Hi, @TracyC - welcome back!
You've taken the first step towards getting back on track - well done!
(And I can't lay any claims to willpower. For me, sheer terror at the potential for diabetic complications to loom ever closer at my age is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow!)
Do you think you might have been too hard on yourself last time? Eating to beat diabetes has to be a lifestyle choice... Do you think you were trying to achieve too much too soon and found it unsustainable?
Tell us why you felt you 'fell off the wagon'......
Hugs x

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Providence 62 - Hi :) - When attending your Diabetes Review mention about the Metformin not agreeing with you. The Diabetic Nurse CAN write you a prescription for the SR Metformin.

Hi Liam, Thanks for the advice, but I am on the SR already. Am pretty feeble when it comes to Metformin.

*grumbling*

P x

D

debrasue

FBG's are on the rise again, 7.3 this am pancreas rewarded with nil by mouth till tonight
Sorry to appear dense, but I'm still pretty new to all this. How does fasting all day help reduce your BG levels ? Doesn't that encourage your liver to release more glucogen?

Reactions: 3 people
D

debrasue

It's the opposite here
Sunshine
Set to change tomorrow
Cloudy and hot here.
I'm not sure whether it's me having intermittent hot flushes (thought I'd finally finished with those!), or whether it keeps getting hotter and muggier before cooling off a bit....
:grumpy:

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Since the weather has been hot and sticky I'm running up to a whole point higher on my usual foods. Keep trying to drink extra but it's hard when you aren't thirsty. Much as I love it there's only so much tea a girl can drink in a day. If I'm really hot COLD water in small quantities is ok.
Ahhh, I wonder if that might be why my BGs are higher over the last couple of days, too...? I've not been eating anything different, but I didn't think about the effects of the weather...

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Sorry to appear dense, but I'm still pretty new to all this. How does fasting all day help reduce your BG levels ? Doesn't that encourage your liver to release more glucogen?

Always wondered about that too.

P

Reactions: 5 people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm dense too. I have no idea, only that it works for me. After my walk for lunch I recorded 5.4 and now 90 mins after an 8oz rump steak, salad of webbs lettuce, baby spinach and beet leaves, rocket, cherry toms, spring onion, black and green olives danish blue cheese dressed in basalmic/olive oil/cider vinegar, oh and a bratty cos it was there. a mere 5.7. I guess the liver can only release what available, and if I can supply it with nowt thats all it can dump into my blood stream??? I dunno:angelic:

Reactions: 4 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi, @TracyC - welcome back!
You've taken the first step towards getting back on track - well done!
(And I can't lay any claims to willpower. For me, sheer terror at the potential for diabetic complications to loom ever closer at my age is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow!)
Do you think you might have been too hard on yourself last time? Eating to beat diabetes has to be a lifestyle choice... Do you think you were trying to achieve too much too soon and found it unsustainable?
Tell us why you felt you 'fell off the wagon'......
Hugs x
Thank you! And, yes the complications too should be my motivator, I watched my grandmother ( she bought me up ) die from those complications, and to say it was unpleasant is an understatement. I think I because de-motivated when I had a little slip one day, out for a meal and 'just a sweet this time' turned into oh well its ok I will just have a few chips, or a little rice, which consequently turned into just going back to eating more or less the way I used to but without the giant share sized bags of maltasers or popcorn in the evening when watching the TV, somehow in my head i figured because i wasn't consuming masses of sweet things I was still doing ok ( in the back of my mind though I knew I wasn't ). I saw the DN today and had my bloods taken, I have a follow up appointment in two weeks time to find out the results, at which point I suspect they will say I need to start on the Metformin they allowed me to go without in place of three months diet/exercise.

I am back on track as of today. I have also been running again since my diagnosis roughly 15 miles a week, not huge amounts but that is compared to doing zilch before. This forum is such a fantastic place to be for me to get back into the correct mind set. I think I have always been a n all or nothing kind of person, so those little slips have to be non-existent in order to make this work. I was on under 40 carbs a day last time, I don't even really know what is sustainable and what isn't but i did feel like I was eating the same meals, the same things day in day out, so restrictive. I'm going to need to look outside of the box I think x

S

Sable_Jan

Always wondered about that too.

P
I don't, and won't ever fast. I don't believe it does your body any good and when I was in my early 20s had a spell at buying slimming magazines there was an interesting article about studies with groups of people ones who fasted one day per week and ones who didn't. Those who didn't lost weight faster and the conclusion was that fasting put your body into starvation mode so it used the next lot of food more efficiently. It also applied to people who kept going on ultra low calorie diets too

D

debrasue

Thank you! And, yes the complications too should be my motivator, I watched my grandmother ( she bought me up ) die from those complications, and to say it was unpleasant is an understatement. I think I because de-motivated when I had a little slip one day, out for a meal and 'just a sweet this time' turned into oh well its ok I will just have a few chips, or a little rice, which consequently turned into just going back to eating more or less the way I used to but without the giant share sized bags of maltasers or popcorn in the evening when watching the TV, somehow in my head i figured because i wasn't consuming masses of sweet things I was still doing ok ( in the back of my mind though I knew I wasn't ). I saw the DN today and had my bloods taken, I have a follow up appointment in two weeks time to find out the results, at which point I suspect they will say I need to start on the Metformin they allowed me to go without in place of three months diet/exercise.

I am back on track as of today. I have also been running again since my diagnosis roughly 15 miles a week, not huge amounts but that is compared to doing zilch before. This forum is such a fantastic place to be for me to get back into the correct mind set. I think I have always been a n all or nothing kind of person, so those little slips have to be non-existent in order to make this work. I was on under 40 carbs a day last time, I don't even really know what is sustainable and what isn't but i did feel like I was eating the same meals, the same things day in day out, so restrictive. I'm going to need to look outside of the box I think x

Oh yes, I can relate to such a lot of that - it could be me talking 30 years ago! I do believe that at my age (I'm 63) it's a lot easier to focus on the fact that I have to do this - my options have run out, but I've always been an all-or-nothing person, too, so that made it easier to throw myself wholeheartedly into LCHF.
I get what you say about eating the same meals, because in the beginning I felt that was the only way I could stay on track. But after a while I began to trust in the programme and have the odd, quick peep outside the box. And it was ok!
Now I am a lot more adventurous and I get heaps of ideas from these forums. Posting and reading posts on What have you eaten today in the Low Carb Diet forum is a great place to start!
Good luck honey - you can do this!
:)

Last edited:

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be the heat Maureen, I had wobbly legs yesterday after planting out onions in the sun. Not great with the sun, but it had to be done. Hope you are feeling better now, I went home and had a lot of water, that helped.
Thanks, I'm ok, you take care of yourself, take care in this heat (hug)

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't, and won't ever fast. I don't believe it does your body any good and when I was in my early 20s had a spell at buying slimming magazines there was an interesting article about studies with groups of people ones who fasted one day per week and ones who didn't. Those who didn't lost weight faster and the conclusion was that fasting put your body into starvation mode so it used the next lot of food more efficiently. It also applied to people who kept going on ultra low calorie diets too
Good job your not a Muslim & live in Iran! It was hell all covered in dark colours, usualy black, head to toe, 50/60 deg, so humid! & a month of fasting. Good old England. Evian water every where

Reactions: 6 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the opposite to be the case, when fasting I get my best BG levels. I think its because you give your pancreas a rest.. you're not eating anything so there is nothing to prompt a rise in blood sugar. I'm sure that's a very simplistic explanation of an extremely complex process but hey it works for me.. I had an FBG of 4.5 on the last day of a 4 day fast and a 4.1 just before I ate at the end of it.

S

Sable_Jan

Good job your not a Muslim & live in Iran! It was hell all covered in dark colours, usualy black, head to toe, 50/60 deg, so humid! & a month of fasting. Good old England. Evian water every where
The fasting must be hell when it's long days but at least there is eating dusk to dawn ... I guess Muslim workers on the night shift are laughing (not meant in a derogatory way) being able to sleep through the fast....
I'd not survive in that heat. Been knitting and watching DVDs in bed waiting for it to cool down but it's HOT & humid. Thought it had rained but think it's condensation I can see on the perspex pen roof

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The fasting must be hell when it's long days but at least there is eating dusk to dawn ... I guess Muslim workers on the night shift are laughing (not meant in a derogatory way) being able to sleep through the fast....
I'd not survive in that heat. Been knitting and watching DVDs in bed waiting for it to cool down but it's HOT & humid. Thought it had rained but think it's condensation I can see on the persp
pen roof
Not that simple, not much night shifts there only hospitals & you have the 5 daily prayers at certain times, you can do a two in one at one of prays, imagine when the water & electric keeps going off for hours, norm in Iran even now, I had only one hour of water occasionally during the war, pardon me but did I stink some times!!!! You had to quick fill containers up to save some water! Stories I could tell, rats were as big as dogs, I must have been nuts then

S

Sable_Jan

Not that simple, not much night shifts there only hospitals & you have the 5 daily prayers at certain times, you can do a two in one at one of prays, imagine when the water & electric keeps going off for hours, norm in Iran even now, I had only one hour of water occasionally during the war, pardon me but did I stink some times!!!! You had to quick fill containers up to save some water! Stories I could tell, rats were as big as dogs, I must have been nuts then
I'll stick to good ole rainy England.
Yes, the rain has arrived. It's started sometime before I fell asleep around half one

Reactions: 6 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a little while, things have been very hectic at work and at home. I hope everyone is ok and enjoying the good weather. I haven't (luckily) got a sweet tooth but last Sunday really fancied an ice cream. Luckily I manged to resist. FBGs are still quite high but my other readings through the day don't seem to be too bad. And weightloss is slow but still just about going in the right direction!

S

Sable_Jan

Hello everyone,
sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a little while, things have been very hectic at work and at home. I hope everyone is ok and enjoying the good weather. I haven't (luckily) got a sweet tooth but last Sunday really fancied an ice cream. Luckily I manged to resist. FBGs are still quite high but my other readings through the day don't seem to be too bad. And weightloss is slow but still just about going in the right direction!
Nice to see you around. Just pop in when you can .. fasting seems to be the hardest one. Sometimes there seems little or nothing we can do about it. Some try various snacks before bed that work for them but not other people. Just keep the others under control and the fastings should eventually take care of themselves....

Reactions: 5 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

Nice to see you back @TooManyCrisps and well done on resisting the ice cream! Keep up the good work, sounds like things are going in the right direction - if you can maintain that when life gets busy you are a winner :)