It doesn't have to turn out like that Panorama programme suggested

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following last night's Panorama programme (2nd Oct 2016), I think we may get new forum members and readers, and I wanted to reassure them that being a Type 2 diabetic does NOT automatically lead to horrendous complications, amputations, misery, trauma and aggressive invasive surgery. There is a huge amount we can do to control the condition and reduce our chances of diabetic complications.

We have a whole thread of the most wonderful success stories to prove it.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763/
it is currently running at 24 pages of posts from people who feel a darn sight better than those shown on Panorama!

As far as I can see, that programme was designed to shock and frighten, count the cost to the NHS and attempt to drive people into weight loss and surgery to save bankrupting the NHS.

Well, there are alternatives, and believe me when I say that they work amazingly well.

Type 2s can improve their health by
- lowering their blood glucose (diet, exercise, medication, fasting)
- careful use of medication (there is a whole range of meds from Meformin up to Insulin)
- monitoring their blood glucose on a daily basis, at home, allowing them to work out which foods are driving their blood glucose up, and teaching them how to reduce portions or avoid that food completely, in order to bring their blood glucose down to target.

Type 2s CAN change their eating habits and lead a much healthier and happier life - but it requires a change of diet and lifestyle. Personally, I would rather give up wheatabix and frosties and milk chocolate than lose my legs.

Here are a few links that may help:

This link explains in under a minute, the way to reduce carbs but still eat an enjoyable and satisfying diet.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
It is known as the LCHF way of eating

For people who want a more structured, gradual approach, there is a Low Carb Programme run by diabetes.co.uk which shows you how to lower your carb intake over a 10 week period and tailor you diet to suit you personally.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

Some people are finding that they can actually REVERSE their type 2 diabetes using Low Carbing or very low calorie diets such as the Newcastle Diet (800 calories a day for 8 weeks), because it reduces the fat in their liver, allowing it and the pancreas to function better, and produce enough insulin to control blood glucose again.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Could-a-very-low-calorie-diet-cure-type-2-diabetes.aspx
you may also have heard of the 800 calorie Bloodsugar Diet. This is similar to the Newcastle Diet but uses real food instead of diet shakes
https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

Some people are finding that missing meals (known as Intermittent Fasting) is lowering blood glucose and insulin resistance and helping with weight loss.
You can find out more here:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Exercise can also be remarkably effective, but I haven't focussed on it, because many type 2s feel too drained and tired to exercise, until they get their blood glucose down to a good level. At that point, go for it! :)

ALL of the above are FREE
(Edited to say that since 2017 there has been a one off charge to sign up to the Low Carb Program, but after that, membership is free for life)

Monitoring your own blood glucose can be done at home, at a reasonable personal cost. It will tell you how well you are managing your type 2 diabetes, and give you very important information on what foods are driving it up. This is known as Eating To Your Meter, and is, in my opinion, the single most powerful tool in the type 2 toolbox. Most doctors refuse to supply type 2s with a blood glucose meter saying it isn't appropriate. The real reason is cost to the NHS. So many of us buy our own. There are many different meters, but many of us here on the forum go for the SD Codefree since you can get a pot of 50 test strips for about £7, which I consider a bargain. ( I won't include a link, because I don't want to look like I am promoting a particular brand, but shop around before you buy - there are some very expensive ones out there if you are not careful and you need to bear in mind repeat costs when you buy more test strips)

Forum members can offer plenty of help and support on all of these diets, testing, and type 2 management. Just ask.

Edited 19/4/18 to update info on LCP

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Fantastic, thank you Brunneria. I was so dismayed and angered by Panorama. We need to get the word out that T2 diabetics are not feckless, lazy victims of a "lifestyle" disease and that new approaches to diabetes are needed within the NHS. The high-carb diet that is being peddled by NICE, etc., is helping the insulin resistant down the slippery slope to Type 2 diabetes.

I complained to the BBC this morning about last night's programme. If anyone else feels moved to do the same, here is the link: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?lang=en&reset=&uid=147706395

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It definitely doesn't have to end up like Panorama suggested. There is LOTS of good stuff going on - and most of it can be found on the internet. The likes of Dr Unwin, Jason Fung and co are doing a tremendous job in making more noise about food before medication - and how low carb is literally changing thousands of lives.

The Low Carb Program saw a surge in sign-ups last night, too. If you haven't had a look, it's well worth a browse at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb.

The latest case study/anecdote:

012e473ebf.png

80e23e7af9.png

The fact of the matter is type 2 diabetes does not have to be a chronic, progressive condition - no matter what the media may say.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
God the BBC don't make it easy to complain, after a series of questions you finally get to the bit you can type in. Even after stating it was the Panorama program, they suggested it was Question Time I was having a go at, frustrating.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for starting this thread @Brunneria

It is shameful that the BBC made such a programme without a follow up to show how these dreadful side effects can be avoided. It is even more shameful that many in the medical profession aren't advising people of the ways to fight T2 that you list above. Yet again they focus on drugs and surgery, not good dietary advice.

To any newcomers to the forum I would like to say ask as many questions as you like and the forum will help you. :)

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I really hope that they revisit that Jamie Owen in a few months if he keeps up the diet. Losing a stone and improving his cholesterol in a month was very impressive. I would like to see more interviews with his GP, she looked, if not convinced, then much less skeptical and willing to learn at the end.

Reactions: Prem51

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also factually very incorrect. The description of the difference between T1 and T2 is that T1s are born with the condition. Really? *** no wonder we all struggle explaining this stuff to non diabetics.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I made my complaint - Only another 100,000 members to go !

Somehow or other we need to get a documentary about this site on the BBC ! - its criminal that there are people being left in the position that they are feeling terrible when even if its not the whole answer , simply getting rid of the carbs will probably make most of them feel immeasurable better quickly .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you from me too @Brunneria . Still grieving and after watching that programme it left me even lower unnecessarily. Vunerable people shouldnt be subjected to this horror story.
Do an advert, public health like 70s ones (MIKE) who needed to learn to swim or similiar BBC. Their imagination is zero. Silly thoughtlessness and bad production, I feel.
Where is the warning at the end with helpline support?
I've seen better WHO (world health organisation) videos in Nigeria in the 90s more accurate and informative.
In fact I bet their current diabetes one will be better than last night's expensive sham. ;)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following last night's Panorama programme, I think we may get new forum members and readers, and I wanted to reassure them that being a Type 2 diabetic does NOT automatically lead to horrendous complications, amputations, misery, trauma and aggressive invasive surgery. There is a huge amount we can do to control the condition and reduce our chances of diabetic complications.

We have a whole thread of the most wonderful success stories to prove it.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763/
it is currently running at 24 pages of posts from people who feel a darn sight better than those shown on Panorama!

As far as I can see, that programme was designed to shock and frighten, count the cost to the NHS and attempt to drive people into weight loss and surgery to save bankrupting the NHS.

Well, there are alternatives, and believe me when I say that they work amazingly well.

Type 2s can improve their health by
- lowering their blood glucose (diet, exercise, medication, fasting)
- careful use of medication (there is a whole range of meds from Meformin up to Insulin)
- monitoring their blood glucose on a daily basis, at home, allowing them to work out which foods are driving their blood glucose up, and teaching them how to reduce portions or avoid that food completely, in order to bring their blood glucose down to target.

Type 2s CAN change their eating habits and lead a much healthier and happier life - but it requires a change of diet and lifestyle. Personally, I would rather give up wheatabix and frosties and milk chocolate than lose my legs.

Here are a few links that may help:

This link explains in under a minute, the way to reduce carbs but still eat an enjoyable and satisfying diet.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
It is known as the LCHF way of eating

For people who want a more structured, gradual approach, there is a Low Carb Programme run by diabetes.co.uk which shows you how to lower your carb intake over a 10 week period and tailor you diet to suit you personally.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

Some people are finding that they can actually REVERSE their type 2 diabetes using Low Carbing or very low calorie diets such as the Newcastle Diet (800 calories a day for 8 weeks), because it reduces the fat in their liver, allowing it and the pancreas to function better, and produce enough insulin to control blood glucose again.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Could-a-very-low-calorie-diet-cure-type-2-diabetes.aspx
you may also have heard of the 800 calorie Bloodsugar Diet. This is similar to the Newcastle Diet but uses real food instead of diet shakes
https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

Some people are finding that missing meals (known as Intermittent Fasting) is lowering blood glucose and insulin resistance and helping with weight loss.
You can find out more here:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Exercise can also be remarkably effective, but I haven't focussed on it, because many type 2s feel too drained and tired to exercise, until they get their blood glucose down to a good level. At that point, go for it! :)

ALL of the above are FREE

Monitoring your own blood glucose can be done at home, at a reasonable personal cost. It will tell you how well you are managing your type 2 diabetes, and give you very important information on what foods are driving it up. This is known as Eating To Your Meter, and is, in my opinion, the single most powerful tool in the type 2 toolbox. Most doctors refuse to supply type 2s with a blood glucose meter saying it isn't appropriate. The real reason is cost to the NHS. So many of us buy our own. There are many different meters, but many of us here on the forum go for the SD Codefree since you can get a pot of 50 test strips for about £7, which I consider a bargain. ( I won't include a link, because I don't want to look like I am promoting a particular brand, but shop around before you buy - there are some very expensive ones out there if you are not careful and you need to bear in mind repeat costs when you buy more test strips)

Forum members can offer plenty of help and support on all of these diets, testing, and type 2 management. Just ask.

this ought be printed on a folder and given to every newly diagnoses diabetic ...in all the World

but maybe it is also important that people know that there are two directions ... and that the one do lead to seriously damaging and deadly outcome ... a lot of people most people after all do not do like the most dedicated in this forum...

Last edited:

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
The sad part is they never once mentioned that it is possible to reverse T2. They looked on the worst case scenario as if we deliberately had the disease. I've ended up with it due to medication and stress, but I am prepared to do something about it - not let it rule my life.
The power of positive thought (and low carb diet!) (and proactive helpful GPs) is never to be underestimated.