BMI chart

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
My BMI is currently 22, midway in the 'healthy' range. I am happy with that, but I still have about half an inch more around my waist than I would like. Ideally your waist measurement (measured at navel level) should not be more than half your height.
My waist measurement is 34" and my height is 67", so I need to lose the slab of fat around my navel, which is proving difficult to shift.

For anyone who doesn't know their BMI, you can calculate it with the NHS BMI calculator:
www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx
Thanks Prem.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See the formulas posted above to calculate BMIs not on the chart and then use the categories to class your BMI. It is possible to be obese at any height but you have to try harder when you are over 6 feet tall because the weight is spread out over a longer distance on your body. I am jealous at just over 5 ft 6 inches.
I was joking...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, have they re-labelled The Red Zone? It used to be :hungover: Morbidly Obese :hungover: and now I find myself politely downgraded to just Extremely Obese. How very PC.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was joking...
Okay, I have used the but I have a lot of muscle defense for years semiseriously. I take a cortisone inhaler for asthma so I do tend to build muscle pretty easily.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey, have they re-labelled The Red Zone? It used to be :hungover: Morbidly Obese :hungover: and now I find myself politely downgraded to just Extremely Obese. How very PC.
This is a chart that combines men and women into the same categories. And yes I think they are trying to be more positive with the extremely obese rather than morbidly obese language.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My height and weight are not on the chart, so I'm not anything. Whooopee!
Lots of people have been falling outside the ranges on the chart. I guess we are just not a group of average people.
You can use this formula to calculate yours:
Metric BMI Formula
BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
D

Deleted member 308541

Most of the BMI calculator websites the readings are all different, I have gone from 28 to 89 bmi on several of them. :arghh:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I got two main points from the article above: This is a quote from the article

"Dr Margaret Ashwell, an independent consultant and former science director of the British Nutrition Foundation, explained at the 19th Congress on Obesity in Lyon, France, May 2012, that waist-to-height ratio is a superior predictor than BMI7 of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Dr. Ashwell said "Keeping your waist circumference to less than half your height can help increase life expectancy for every person in the world."

Thus a 6ft-tall man should have a waist circumference of 36 inches or less, while a 5ft 4in woman's waist should not exceed 32 inches."

-Apple body shape, which I have is not healthy. I am overweight by any measure. The second point is illustrated in my next post by a photo from the article.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Th
256px-Austin_with_WWF_title.jpg

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'The man above, a world class athlete would be classed as obese in the current BMI system.'

- Muscle to fat ratio must be considered when accessing someone's health.
and

Libido increases for some as you become healthier.(That's beefcake!)

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apple body shape, which I have is not healthy.
That is my issue too - no matter how much weight I lose, my waist size never seeems to get below the recommended 80cm for women. A friend of mine used to say "thick like an old dog" - describes my waist line (or rather lack thereof) perfectly ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most of the BMI calculator websites the readings are all different, I have gone from 28 to 89 bmi on several of them. :arghh:
There are different BMI's for different countries. Does the one you are looking at have interpretation categories listed for you?
You can calculate yours with this formula:
Metric BMI Formula

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

There are different BMI's for different countries. Does the one you are looking at have interpretation categories listed for you?
You can calculate yours with this formula:
Metric BMI Formula
I have a Android app that is accurate as much as it tallies with the bmi from my Doctors. I do not think bmi is the right way of working things out as I am big boned and carried a lot of muscle when I was younger.

I used to be around the 85 kilo mark when I was a smoker, which went out to around 110 when I stopped, pegged that back to just over 100 kilos. Since I have been on Metformin I have made a bit of effort and got down to 98 kilos.

Edit: Typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SWUSA_ and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI is 21 and my waist is exactly half my height. My fattest bits are my legs, and always have been. No idea why.

Reactions: SWUSA_ and Prem51

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I now weigh 9st 6lbs, down from 13st 1 lb and I am 4' 11". BMI says I should be between 6st 7 lbs - 8st 11 lbs. I bought new jeans yesterday SIZE 10. What size would I take if I followed BMI.
I have lost weight everywhere except.....my boobs. It's very difficult to buy a bra in 32 D cup. I have to get my wedding ring made smaller because it keeps falling off. Had to buy new shoes because the ones I have are too loose plus all the new clothes.

Reactions: Prem51 and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I now weigh 9st 6lbs, down from 13st 1 lb and I am 4' 11". BMI says I should be between 6st 7 lbs - 8st 11 lbs. I bought new jeans yesterday SIZE 10. What size would I take if I followed BMI.
I have lost weight everywhere except.....my boobs. It's very difficult to buy a bra in 32 D cup. I have to get my wedding ring made smaller because it keeps falling off. Had to buy new shoes because the ones I have are too loose plus all the new clothes.

So you are happy at your current weight? This thread was moved under weight loss and dieting by staff I hope. I originally put it under health- I really am not pushing weight loss for anyone else. I have found several mail order sites online to find larger size bras. I can share them if you would like.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Still BMI 29-I have concluded that I need to lose weight after considering several factors including BMI and increased difficulty controlling my blood sugar with diet, exercise, metformin and insulin. I also have an irrational fear of weighting less than a certain weight that I am rapidly approaching. I think age may also be playing a part in my increased difficulty maintaining blood glucose at a goals. I usually do not consider age in my goals.
This is my to read list after searching ageing and type 2 control on this site:

9 things most people don't know about diabetes

Dec 10, 2015 ... Type 2 diabetes can have many causes, including genetics and aging. ... Type 4 diabetes would describe cases of type 2 diabetes caused by aging rather ... People with burnout often neglect to control their diabetes, making ...
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../9-things-most-people-dont-know-about-diabetes/

Diabetes and the Elderly

Amongst the elderly population, type 2 diabetes is a growing problem, and a larger ... Other disabilities associated with aging can contribute to the complexity of ...
www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-the-elderly.html

10 year diabetes duration associated with 2 year increased agingof ...

Apr 30, 2014 ... A study of 614 patients with type 2 diabetes shows that, on average, for every 10 years of having diabetes, the brain ... 10 year diabetes duration associated with 2 year increased aging of the brain. Wed, 30 ... "Tight Control".
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../10-year-diabetes-duration-associated-with-2-year- increased-aging-of-the-brain-94318121.html

Diabetes LADA

Some patients receive the diagnosis of type 2 diabetic, despite not exhibiting all the ... diabetes control and could accelerate the loss of insulin producing ability.
www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_lada.html

Is type 2 diabetes as big a crisis as we're led to believe?

Jan 5, 2016 ... We see the headlines all the time: “diabetes out of control,” “type 2 ... much is attributable to the ageing of populations (since type 2 diabetes is ...
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../is-type-2-diabetes-as-big-a-crisis-as-were-led-to- believe/

People with type 1 diabetes prone to accelerated brain aging, study ...

May 8, 2015 ... People with type 1 diabetes prone to accelerated brain aging, study suggests ... stands to reason that early detection and intervention - such as controlling cardiometabolic factors and tighter glycemic control, ... 9 · 2 hours ago.
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../people-with-type-1-diabetes-prone-to-accelerated- brain-aging,-study-suggests-96544194.html

Diabetes and Smoking

... as doubling the chances of suffering from kidney problems and erectile dysfunction. For type 2 diabetics, the major cause of death is cardiovascular disease.
www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-smoking.html

Frequent consumption of sugary drinks causes premature cell aging ...

Oct 21, 2014 ... Not only by straining the body's metabolic control of sugars, but also through ... sugary drinks increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../frequent-consumption-of-sugary-drinks-causes- premature-cell-aging,-study-suggests-99350199.html

Metformin could significantly increase life expectancy and health in ...

Nov 30, 2015 ... Although the drug's anti-aging properties have so... ... of diseases related to aging, such as some cases of type 2 diabetes and ... blood glucose control did not affect the improvements in lifespan noted in the metformin group.
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../metformin-could-significantly-increase-life- expectancy-and-health-in-old-age-human-trials.88486/

Psychological distress ups risk of type 2 diabetes

Jan 15, 2013 ... Legumes can improve glycemic control and lower CVD risk in type 2 ... Type 2 diabetics who exercise can prevent early cardiovascular aging
www.diabetes.co.uk/.../psychological-distress-ups-risk-of-type-2-diabetes- 93708972.html

Last edited: