Inside Out Programme BBC1 (London) Tonight 7.30PM

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which area focused on calorie reduction? North-East perchance?

Yes included interview with Professor Roy Taylor and one person who was following his diet in a local surgery. It was more interesting and hopeful than the London version. I haven't looked at any of the others.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Think so.
Newcastle diet was given quite a few minutes in the north-east and cumbria's programme. Professor said that the recent trial is yet to be completed/published so until then he doesn't expect the nhs to progress with his findings. But he is hoping they will make it part of standard nhs diabetes care. @AndBreathe .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The earlier thread about the various Inside Out diabetes-related programmes in different BBC England regions is here.

As they used to say: 'except for viewers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which have their own programmes'.

The London programme only is shown later this week on BBC News Channel (14:30 29/10 and 10:30 on 30/10).

There is an associated BBC News report here, drawing on more than one of the editions.
Once again proving no consistance and depends which region will depend on nhs solution.

S

serenity648

Why do these programs focus so much on how much it is costing the NHS? I dont see programs about cancer, or other health issues, focusing on cost in this way. It seems like its unfairly blaming us.

I think its to blame us T2 so people can point to us when they cant get NHS treatment due to cost factors, or their treatment is delayed, instead of pointing to the government cuts. I dont think this vilification and blaming is fair.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Why do these programs focus so much on how much it is costing the NHS? I dont see programs about cancer, or other health issues, focusing on cost in this way. It seems like its unfairly blaming us.

I think its to blame us T2 so people can point to us when they cant get NHS treatment due to cost factors, or their treatment is delayed, instead of pointing to the government cuts. I dont think this vilification and blaming is fair.
As per the last discussion on this point, after the Panorama programme, "Lifestyle" isn't pointing at each Type 2 individually. There is a vast amount of evidence that shows that by changing "Modern Lifestyles", it's possible to massively reduce the onset of Type 2 diabetes. It's therefore perfectly reasonable to suggest that by changing the population's normal lifestyle, it should be possible to reduce the number of people being diagnosed with Type 2.

As Chris Askew said, "We need to make changes across society", not "We need to change what current Type 2s are doing because they're to blame".

M

mist

Well diabetes in some cases can be prevented. Cancer cannot.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still can't figure out why after the antibody test in July which said I was Type 2, why I am that, as I have always been slim .....
The GAD tests isn't that reliable especially if taken a few years after initial diagnosis. There are other causes of islet cell failure including viruses, pancreatitis and other rarer antibodies. The c-peptide test is more useful as it shows how much the islet cells are producing rather than just looking at one cause (but a major one). My GAD was negative 7 years after diagnosis but my c-peptide was at the bottom end of range and have always been slim.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once again proving no consistance and depends which region will depend on nhs solution.
The 'N' in NHS has always been somewhat of a misnomer as the delivery is local, as is the financial accountability. It has always struggled to be a preventative rather than a reactive service as the pay-off is long term and difficult to account for.

Personally I consider the so-called 'solution' of the widespread cutting out of stomachs as almost the first resort to be an admission more of a long-term abject failure of the NHS and the wider public health framework than of the individuals concerned, but BBC London seems obsessed with it, even though it is a solution more fitting of the 19th century.

There is a degree of personal responsibility too to make the best of it though made by the man progressively losing his toes having unfortunately come to that conclusion too late for himself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but I have always been slim and my endocrinologist describes me as "lean" Yes there is diabetes in the family but they were all overweight. My homeopath who was a GP prior said she couldn't understand why I was/am diabetic

I'll console myself and hang onto the cause as being a virus! lol Thanks Guys!
Ref my earlier reply, I blame a virus as well. Around the time I offered myself to a drug company for drug testing not knowing I had oncoming diabetes. I was rejected as I had a high white cell count but my blood sugar was fine. A year later I had very high sugars and was diagnosed (wrongly?) as a T2. I never found out what the cause of the inflammation was, but I can guess.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't think that this is necessarily the case. Each time there's a news item on medical matters, price to the NHS, seems to get a mention. An item this morning on CAT scanners cited cost as the reason that quite a lot of these scanners aren't up to date or being replaced as a factor. I, also, saw an item a couple of weeks ago that talked about the cost of mental health care now falling onto the NHS & the emergency services as local authorities had reduced the amount spent on hostels and the like.

I think were a little too close to the subject matter and that makes feel were being attacked.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I think I said she was a GP prior.
My GP knows very little about diabetes especially new treatments. He had never heard of Prof Roy Taylor and he's the head of the diabetes practise at my surgery.

M

mist

My GP knows very little about diabetes especially new treatments. He had never heard of Prof Roy Taylor and he's the head of the diabetes practise at my surgery.

I've never heard of him either. What kind of music does he play? :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would think the amount of people diagnosed with type 2, with the epidemic is a big factor, because of the huge rise, the rise in this medical condition is spiraling out of control, with young people and children being diagnosed as well. In 10 or 20 years time, where will the money come from ?

M

mist

Some people just don't care, you have to remember that. I've been sat in waiting rooms before watching people writing down random fake readings in their little books to show their GP, and then heading over the road and walking straight into Burger King..lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well diabetes in some cases can be prevented. Cancer cannot.
@mist some cancers are preventable too. With action from knowledge pushed, it is avoided.
However I BELIEVE diabetes is not preventable but complications can be held back, by different degrees.
I know nhs and many others believe preventable but all I've seen is remission never cure. I'd need to see evidence that the cause makes a start and therefore there is an end.
I believe it is aggrevated by too much sugar, other carbohydrates and too much protein. Fat can cause some fat absorption and causes insulin resistance with too much WRONG fat. (Right fat for Eskimos or cavemen in winter).
Lifestyle means cultural habits and fashion. Its fashionable to eat a varied diet and mixed cheeses, wines and luxuries.
Like Gout. Type 2 diabetes for some is due to luxurious eating and excessive behaviour. (Sedate activities)
Some will receive more help by having a 'poor mans diet' 600-800cals and no indulgences. A lifestyle choice?

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I consider the so-called 'solution' of the widespread cutting out of stomachs as almost the first resort to be an admission more of a long-term abject failure of the NHS and the wider public health framework than of the individuals concerned, but BBC London seems obsessed with it, even though it is a solution more fitting of the 19th century.
Looks to me a solution that has to be used because less invasive and costly procedures have failed. Probably if NHS is paying a lot means that something else is paid a lot.
In this case we have a private surgeon (the clinic was partially paid by Italian SSN) that made operations that were totally unnecessary, causing in some case the death of the patient.
http://www.ansa.it/english/news/gen...ife_de93e395-3a67-4f14-a78d-1fbff0abd360.html
This is not the case of bariatric surgeries, maybe it's only a skewed cost-cutting policy that generated this state.
There is a degree of personal responsibility too to make the best of it though made by the man progressively losing his toes having unfortunately come to that conclusion too late for himself.
There's personal responsibility on a lot of disesases: if for instance I broke my leg while climbing a mountain I could have prevented this not climbing.
A person should be informed and helped to minimize the risk factors associated with diseases, especially when one has already a problem, like the diabetes.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched the NE & Cumbria flavour, much better (IMHO) than my local South East effort. I am with @tim2000s on lifestyle, I think it is too easy to get sensitive and think that 'society' is blaming us. Lifestyles have changed, we are no longer an industrial and labour intensive agricultural society. We have a service economy and most folk spend the day at work sitting. Maybe we should sue our employers?
The bit that really resonated with me was the presenter commenting on Prof Roy Taylor and i quote "To some (HCP) what he (Taylor) is doing is medical heresy"
Unless & until that can be overcome, the best we can do for ourselves is what we do ourselves.