BMI chart

D

Deleted member 308541

This forum has a BMI Calculator, but it is in imperial measurements and of no use to metric users. I am to lazy to do mental arithmetic conversions anymore.

It would be nice if the powers that be took this into account that not only people from the UK but the rest of the world are members of this forum.

Or build a metric / imperial BMI Calculator into the app.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/bmi.html

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that smartbmicalculator is great!
It takes me out of the red zone, and into the orange, and explains why.
Very interesting.

This comment was also interesting:
By the way, being fat without tobacco is better than being slim due to nicotine. The best advice for smokers is to postpone the weight loss and stop smoking first.
I had heard it before, but it is nice to hear again.

Reactions: Prem51
M

mist

People still smoke tobacco products? When I heard the cost of a pack of smokes last week I almost fainted. No wonder they keep them locked behind a shutter these days..:p

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm borderline obese on BMI charts. But i only have a body fat percentage of 12,5% ... so i guess it's safe to say it's muscle. As i only carry a little fat around my lower belly.

I remember back when i was in school and had to do those horrible medical checkups i was pretty muscular and ripped back then. Literally veins popping out, visible abs and side abs, striations, ... Standing there in my briefs the lady looks at the BMI chart and warns me that i'm closing in on an obese BMI and should take extra care because of my diabetes. I'm usually pretty good with witty comebacks but just couldn't reply to such stupidity.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hadn't heard of Smart BMI before I read the recent posts above, but I just found it and put in all the info they asked for, so as to be given the comments.

Had put that I'm low-carbing. This is what it said in that section of the comments:

Your low-carb diet
If you are currently dieting: With this diet you can achieve a fast weight loss by tricking your body. In the long run this may be unhealthy, as your body will try hard to compensate for the carbohydrate shortage by storing more fat. This will most likely result in a yo-yo effect. If you want to stop dieting, do it step by step

I'm not low-carbing as a 'diet' in the sense that I think they mean it, although I'm wondering what they mean about the yo-yo and compensatory fat storage....

:wideyed:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
@Snapsy :"Yo-yo dieting or yo-yo effect, also known as weight cycling, is a term coined by Kelly D. Brownell at Yale University, in reference to the cyclical loss and gain of weight, resembling the up-down motion of a yo-yo. ... The dieter then seeks to lose the regained weight, and the cycle begins again."

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey...

"Yo-yo dieting or yo-yo effect, also known as weight cycling, is a term coined by Kelly D. Brownell at Yale University, in reference to the cyclical loss and gain of weight, resembling the up-down motion of a yo-yo. ... The dieter then seeks to lose the regained weight, and the cycle begins again."
If you've seen pictures of Dr Brownell, unfortunately it would seem he is describing himself :(

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
If you've seen pictures of Dr Brownell, unfortunately it would seem he is describing himself :(
You may have missed the heading of this thread which asked that we do not use aesthetics but rather science and/or experience to discuss this topic. Thank you for your post.

Kelly D. Brownell, PhD
Brownell_Kelly_D.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have missed the heading of this thread which asked that we do not use aesthetics but rather science and/or experience to discuss this subject.

:)
Forums are free flow things. I'm afraid we don't get to dictate the content of people's responses.

This is a much more recent pic of Brownell. I wonder if he eats the way he tells us to?

(edited about 50x cos apparently, I can't type ;) )

Attachments

• IMG_3430.PNG
    IMG_3430.PNG
    140.8 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria, you beat me to it. I don't recall seeing anything in the rules and regs that says people who start a thread get to 'moderate' the content. I thought that was, you know, a job for the forum moderators ;)

Since I've already captured a far more recent picture of Dr Brownell than the one posted by the OP above, I think I'll go ahead and post it.

15g5mhe.jpg

All the opening post in this thread, titled "BMI chart" says is that you're posting the chart. Nothing about "aesthetics".

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the Smart BMI calculator and checked the box for low carb diet.
My BMI came out at 21.6 with the following advice:

Nutrition

Think over your diet. Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

Your current low-carb diet

Your weight is below average: Do you really need this diet?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the Smart BMI calculator and checked the box for low carb diet.
My BMI came out at 21.6 with the following advice:

Nutrition

Think over your diet. Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

Your current low-carb diet

Your weight is below average: Do you really need this diet?
I had something similar - unfortunately you don't get to say WHY you're on the diet - they seem to assume weight loss is everybody's goal.