Why Do Diabetics Fail To Adhere To Dietary Regimes?

Why do the majority of diabetic patients fail to follow their dietary regimens? Primary reason.

• Socioeconomic; lack of funds to purchase healthy choices

• Lack of education or knowledge about diabetes

• Fresh vegetables and healthy food is not available.

• Depression or mental health issues

• Does not understand about the progression of diabetes if not managed.

• Not willing to change or not ready to make a change.

• Advanced age; in denial that dietary changes can make a difference.

• Youth: The idea that they are invincible to these problems & unwilling to give up fast foods.

• The prescribed diet was not effective.

Results are only viewable after voting.

hornplayer

For me, boredom, depression and despite being carb intolerant, cheesed off with almost being force fed carbs carbs carbs at every available opportunity.
Even today, at a Bariatric seminar I was given a diet sheet to lose weight for a Diabetic advising to "keep my starchy carb intake up" 7-8 portions a day.
That is, according to their info equiv to 8 weetabix per day, OR, 8 med slices of bread a day, OR 16 egg sized spuds per day, etc etc.
also at LEAST 3 portions of fruit a day, including bananas, pref at same time as main meals with all those carbs.
God knows what my meter would be saying.

Um, yeah. That's not going to work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, boredom, depression and despite being carb intolerant, cheesed off with almost being force fed carbs carbs carbs at every available opportunity.
Even today, at a Bariatric seminar I was given a diet sheet to lose weight for a Diabetic advising to "keep my starchy carb intake up" 7-8 portions a day.
That is, according to their info equiv to 8 weetabix per day, OR, 8 med slices of bread a day, OR 16 egg sized spuds per day, etc etc.
also at LEAST 3 portions of fruit a day, including bananas, pref at same time as main meals with all those carbs.
God knows what my meter would be saying.

Blimey. I couldn't even get out of bed if I was stuffing that many carbs.
And I wouldn't be able to fit in any other food at all.
So I wouldn't get any actual nutrients!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I voted depression, but yeah temptation is a factor as well. Although one area where I have managed to restrict myself is chocolate (usually only once a week)... if I could do that with other sweet things that would be great!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow! I've only just caught up with this thread - looks like the forum did an excellent job of making their feelings known. ;)
It frustrates me how those working within a healthcare/education don't appear to recognise how utterly prejorative and patronising their language can be. 'Adherence to' 'Compliance with' - it is wholly offensive and yet endemic within the industry. It seems to me that the approach to healthcare needs to fundamentally change. It is still entrenched in the doctor/patient 'I know best' attitude of yesteryear. Although in many instances this is going to be true, with the advent of professor Google and access to high quality information online (perhaps through abstract research or forums with shared personal experience) this attitude is no longer appropriate.
I must say I feel a little sorry for @datkins65 as I have no doubt her intentions are entirely innocent and she is genuine in her desire to help.

For any healthcare professionals (as yet unenlightened) who happen to read through this thread, take heed, because the worm is beginning to turn. It means that people are choosing to take ownership and responsibility for their health and no longer blindly accept what the 'experts' say. Surely this is something that should be encouraged? Putting an end to the use of prejorative language would be a good first step in acknowledging this.

Sorry folks - I'm back off my soap box now!:)

I had to ask my Doctor to see a Dietician and when I was allocated the child who had just left school with no idea about real food content I realised this was in line with the rest of the service that I receive from the NHS.
Most of the processed foods we buy are still full of sugar. Is it any wonder our bodies have become over burdened with the rubbish the supermarkets keep selling us and calling it food - We are Victims of the food Giants.

We needed prevention rather than cure because there is no cure for Diabetes.

I am deeply offended by this Poll - so much so I would like it taken down from this site.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is an old thread, but I dont adhere to dietary regimes because following medical advice triggered my T2, and continuing to follow it would mean I would probably have severe complications or be on insulin by now.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This has been an interesting read, and not so bad to resurrect it. I didn't find the poll offensive, as I think about these issues a lot myself, but cheekily - not regarding myself, but my friends, workmates, and family members who have not wanted to adjust/adapt/change their way of eating to lower their blood glucose. I can't imagine any of them answering that poll though! Especially - yeah - I see your point - "fail to adhere" is pretty authoritarian, and I would never use that language myself.

Just an aside - reading the poor ol' OP (datkins65) closely in her two intro messages, this one when she was answering LittleGrey Cat, she wrote somthing that for me, as a severely insulin resistant T2 person, I found quite disturbing - "Some of the latest research identifies fat as causing metabolic conversions in the liver creating insulin resistance which has the tendency to be permanent if not dealt with quickly and aggressively." (She goes on to say about never getting into normal range again.) I had not read that before - insulin sensitivity and resistance has always been presented as on a spectrum which can be moved back and forth on, and I would say that is my own history of IR. What was she referring to I wondered ,and spent too long online looking for this research. What I did find in the end, regarding permanent IR, was these two types of severely insulin resistant folks who have what is called type a and type b IR, and those syndromes (which have other names) are dire indeed. Type A is where the insulin receptors are mutated, and I believe one is born with it and it is very deadly if not caught. Type B is autoimmune. And ditto. This was the only permanent IR I could find being referred to. Just in case someone else like me was disturbed by the idea of permanent IR as a type 2 - I thought I would contribute.

If anyone else reads this and does know of the research - please cite it! It would be a real downer, but better to know than not know?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We needed prevention rather than cure because there is no cure for Diabetes.

I am deeply offended by this Poll - so much so I would like it taken down from this site.
Posted by datkins65, 5y 45w ago, you can block the OP 's posts so you cannot get woken up by not seeing them

I am in recovery with T2, nothing applies in the survey to me.

Lets ban the magna carta as well. :meh: