High blood sugar readings

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I forgot the suet and citrus peel - you add them to the apple stuffing, so it's a bit like a minced pie recipe. (A chopped date or two too, if you can tolerate them.)

Going to do tomorrow!!

Reactions: debrasue

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As you can tolerate eggs, you could make a sugar-free custard for a change - do you think you could tolerate that?
Just heat some (full fat) cream in a saucepan, add some vanilla and sweetener of your choice (I usually use Triple Zero Stevia) and slowly add beaten eggs (slowly so they don't scramble!). Then just heat it over a medium heat until it thickens, but you have to stir it constantly until it does.
Can you eat apples? A cored apple, stuffed with a few sultanas and some mixed spice and then baked in the oven is yummy with this custard!
I'm going to try the custard it sounds yummy (didnt know cream was allowed) I'm allergic to apples and sultanas. I sometimes get a craving for something sweet but I only have yoghurt or icecream as ive banned all other sweet things like cakes and pastries.i never used to eat them but now I want what I cant have.ive also become very snappy and emotional.could this be because of high readings?my boyfriend has gone in the other room out of my way as we had an argument over him buying me dark chocolate.i know I'm allowed a square from time to timr but I snapped at him and I shouldnt have done.ive said sorry but hes understandably angry with me.i.find myself going completely off the handle for no reason.my only excuse is my result which is now 19-8 for that I blame the yoghurt. Anyone else have the same problem? X oh what an odd day its been.too many highs methinks.i feel a bit clammy.and light headed x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Higher readings can definitely affect moods!!

Ambulance men to hubby finally got us both to realise (after 30+ years!!) that levels above 8.0 can include what they slcalled the "patient being narky".....

Trouble is now my hubby thinks he can question all my narkiness!!! Lol!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To help with low carb eating you might like to search for 'Atkins Induction' and look at the things you can eat - Induction is the lowest level of carbs but you should find lists of all the things you can eat, freely and in moderation - it is my basic shopping list. I do eat grapes and melon, as they are low in sugar - I am going to experiment with my Nutribullet to see what I can still get away with, though I do hope that I will eventually be able to eat the 60 to 80 gm of carbs which was my weight loss program for a long time.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
donellysdogs your post made me cry in a good way,to have someone who eats in a similar way to me has really made me feel better,thank you for that.i will keep an eye out to see what you eat. I find it hard to see the food in the 'lumpy stage' I couldn't purée it as I know it was previously in lumps.i know this is strange but it's my way of coping.ive not committed for over 36hours,that's the longest I've ever gone and I'm so proud of myself.the thing is I've got very snappy and emotional and my boyfriend can't understand what's happening to me,is this normal or have my emotions come to the fore because I've not vomitted?x x

D

debrasue

I'm going to try the custard it sounds yummy (didnt know cream was allowed) I'm allergic to apples and sultanas. I sometimes get a craving for something sweet but I only have yoghurt or icecream as ive banned all other sweet things like cakes and pastries.i never used to eat them but now I want what I cant have.ive also become very snappy and emotional.could this be because of high readings?my boyfriend has gone in the other room out of my way as we had an argument over him buying me dark chocolate.i know I'm allowed a square from time to timr but I snapped at him and I shouldnt have done.ive said sorry but hes understandably angry with me.i.find myself going completely off the handle for no reason.my only excuse is my result which is now 19-8 for that I blame the yoghurt. Anyone else have the same problem? X oh what an odd day its been.too many highs methinks.i feel a bit clammy.and light headed x
Apologies if this has already been done, but I'm going to tag @daisy1, who will send you a link to the information she supplies to new members. It might help you make some sense of all this. I realise that a lot of the food choices aren't going to work for you at this stage, but as they say "take what you like and leave the rest". Things may change...... xx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
donellysdogs your post made me cry in a good way,to have someone who eats in a similar way to me has really made me feel better,thank you for that.i will keep an eye out to see what you eat. I find it hard to see the food in the 'lumpy stage' I couldn't purée it as I know it was previously in lumps.i know this is strange but it's my way of coping.ive not committed for over 36hours,that's the longest I've ever gone and I'm so proud of myself.the thing is I've got very snappy and emotional and my boyfriend can't understand what's happening to me,is this normal or have my emotions come to the fore because I've not vomitted?x x

I think it is normal when one do make a gigantic change at the same time to be a bit stressed , and that shows in irritability in many people, also in me...
I want to to say congratulation with todays very fine effort and result... <3

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm taking predispose for my breathing now(only one month so far) I know it's a steroid.could this contribute my PSYCHOTIC EPISODES as my boyfriend calls them? I'm so very sorry when I've calmed down.i'm also the sole cater for my mum who is 95 yrs old , she's practically blind and lives by herself and she's failing daily.she made me promise not to put her in a home,I live nearly 2 hours away but am on call 24/7 x x

D

debrasue

Black chocolate is fine (anything over 75%, I think - anybody?)
Some members have a square or two every day....

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm taking predispose for my breathing now(only one month so far) I know it's a steroid.could this contribute my PSYCHOTIC EPISODES as my boyfriend calls them? I'm so very sorry when I've calmed down.i'm also the sole cater for my mum who is 95 yrs old , she's practically blind and lives by herself and she's failing daily.she made me promise not to put her in a home,I live nearly 2 hours away but am on call 24/7 x x

That was prednisolone

D

debrasue

My goodness, you do have a lot on your plate right now, don't you?
Big hugs xx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yes it can.. even though psychotic it a very big word for that... it can actually also raise your blood glucose ... steroids are wellknown of doing excactly that... it can also provoke mania in bipolar people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its my readings that make me want to eat something.but maybe you're right but I fear the testing may be on its way to being an addiction,if I dont do it I cant concentrate on anything.i am feelingvrather overwhelmed with numbers though, carbs,fats,protein,testing. It is a lot to sink in at first x
Please do not put too much (any) weight on any one reading, test away and after a few weeks download the data to a spreadsheet and turn it into a graph. Look for the trend, hopefully it will be downward, no matter how shallow, that's positive, you just have to do more of the same. There is no quick fix to this. It is a hard slog and you have added complexities. Hopefully you can rally round a cadre of supportive relatives and friends (and the virtual friends here) it all helps

Reactions: Jogreen21

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was prednisolone

If you look just underneath what you have just been writing , you can see an EDIT column , try to push that and you can edit what you have already written... if you did write anything you want to change..

Reactions: Jogreen21

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you look just underneath what you have just been writing , you can see an EDIT column , try to push that and you can edit what you have already written... if you did write anything you want to change..

I have no edit column

Reactions: Freema

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

It is good to feel pride for a change!!! Well done.

My two nice ambulancemen explained to hubby (and me) that 1) narkiness occured at levels higher than 8.0 up to about 25 ish and before a come from DKA. Hypo's are also narky but different to them as they can be more physically involved with violence... hyper narkiness us more associated with tiredness.

In strange ways we are similar!! I have permanently lost my ability to eat full
Size meals due to my paralysed colon... but it makes me more aware of actually hanging in there to do my best to stay alive!!
And healthy!!

I have a friends daughter that was in a eating disorder unit for a year!! I have seen her struggles and its given me a different vision of struggles. She now toyrs the country to schools and places giving talks. She doesn't have to contend with diabetes too....

To be honest, I see the whole world as having some sort of eating probs... its not just me with paralysed colon and a stupud stomach, its not just you with bulimia... if you can ever get to watch people in a supermarket and what goes in trollies... boy, theres a lot of people with a lot of problems besides us.

The difference, we are actually recognising our problems and trying to deal with them... we can't afford to look back, nobody can.

You sound as if you have a lovely boyfriend, my hubby is my life... we do have to learn when we are displaying narkiness and take steps even if we are hugh and can blame it on this... or at least to say thankyou and niceness to them later!!

My lust of foods to eat is very, very small but like you I am on a journey to try and increase the things I can eat.

Some things I have grown to love!!
Rachels ginger yogurt with blueberries (but they come out of me whole and painful!)... so for 9g of carb I have 100g of melon and the yogurt!! Good vitamins.. full fat.

I also make sure I do have a lively big coffee bean (1/3 waitose decaff with waitrose peru/another type too) with single cream each day.
I love butternut squash now but have to limit it to 4 x100g a week. There is a lovely higgidly piggidly pue that I can eat.. despite technically I shouldn't as its pastry and spinach, cheese n pine nuts.. the spinach and pine nuts come out whole but they still at least come out! I can eat 1/4 of this pie.

I also have chronic nausea... not to point of being sick but its pretty much 80% of time whilst being awake. I tablet that I have stopped increased it to 100% nausea. I literally wanted to put fingers down throat and getrid of the nausea.

We have a fight. It will probably be on a permanent basis for us both but we need to keep positive and to see any small improvement as a big one for us!!

For me, analysing my food and nutrition helped me to get positive. I do have a good (cancer) therapist though that helps me with my stomach/ diabetes too... I have tasks set me every two weeks to see positives.... to get me to see that my small steps are actually huge...

I know when I can see a changing attitude with you and I absolutely applaud you.xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ps... has your mum been referred to a falls team for help? Has she got an medic alert call necklace etc?

All meds can have some side effects... its balancing their good effects to bad ones... but normally there are other other alternatives if the first or second etc aren't really suiting. Never think you have to accept taking a drug that has side effects.....