So beans don't require insulin?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always bolused for baked beans (total carbohydrate value) and my numbers have always returned to normal levels. So that would imply that if I didn't bolus, my numbers would be in double figures.

I've read on this forum that some people need to take half the amount of insulin for baked beans. Everyone is different, and considering that beans belong to the "pulses" family - they are low GI, higher in fibre and highish in protein. All those factors can contribute towards bizarre effects on BG for a diabetic - including slow BG rise, delayed spikes and possibly hypos due to the innate slow carbohydrate release.

Very small portions of baked beans without insulin maybe okay, but I'd imagine if we were to eat a whole can without insulin then the impact would be very clear to see.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It was the three sessions on the NHS, arranged by Poole Hospital in Dorset.

Right,I'm surprised that they didn't use fruit & veg in their food models, even if they were using the NHS Eatwell Guidelines the advice is to fill the plate with over a third of veg.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Acrylamide is found in cooked starchy foods like toast and may or may not cause cancer some what off topic but read the food standards agency advice.

"As well as advising the public, the Food Standards Agency is also working with industry to reduce acrylamide in processed food.
And there has been some progress - between 2007 and 2015, it found evidence of an average 30% reduction in acrylamide across all products in the UK.
Steve Wearne, director of policy at the Food Standards Agency, said most people were not aware that acrylamide even existed.
"We want our campaign to highlight the issue so that consumers know how to make the small changes that may reduce their acrylamide consumption whilst still eating plenty of starchy carbohydrates and vegetables as recommended in government healthy eating advice.
"Although there is more to know about the true extent of the acrylamide risk, there is an important job for government, industry and others to do to help reduce acrylamide intake.""
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38680622

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Acrylamide is found in cooked starchy foods like toast and may or may not cause cancer some what off topic but read the food standards agency advice.

"As well as advising the public, the Food Standards Agency is also working with industry to reduce acrylamide in processed food.
And there has been some progress - between 2007 and 2015, it found evidence of an average 30% reduction in acrylamide across all products in the UK.
Steve Wearne, director of policy at the Food Standards Agency, said most people were not aware that acrylamide even existed.
"We want our campaign to highlight the issue so that consumers know how to make the small changes that may reduce their acrylamide consumption whilst still eating plenty of starchy carbohydrates and vegetables as recommended in government healthy eating advice.
"Although there is more to know about the true extent of the acrylamide risk, there is an important job for government, industry and others to do to help reduce acrylamide intake.""
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38680622
No disrespect intended @JohnEGreen, but what does any of this have to do with the amount of bolus insulin required for baked beans?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Suprised at Poole hospital.. I was diagnosed there 30+ years ago and I thought that they would have similar thinking to Bournemouth hospital that I believe have a role in the good Bertie online course.

Never got instructed when diagnosed that beans were ok. Jyst really remember told to eat 1 digestive or 2 rich tea biscuits for my snacks... (i disliked them, and never ate biscuits) so this was the only thing that really stands out in my brain. And sneaking out to go and meet my dogs at a concealed back entrance!!
We were kept in those days..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No disrespect intended @JohnEGreen, but what does any of this have to do with the amount of bolus insulin required for baked beans?
To be honest nothing but it does have a bit to do with the dietary advice given by a dietician as was mentioned in the op
I was just at a session for the education of diabetics - and suspect that the dietician was in the pay of Heinz, she was pushing the consumption of their tinned beans so hard.
and I did say it was somewhat off topic. and no offence taken as you pose a perfectly valid point. And as far as I know no T1 I personalty know would or should eat baked beans with out counting it as carbohydrates are carbohydrates whether contained in a sauce or not. I know from experience that my brother in law certainly would bolus for it and has in fact done so in the past when eating baked beans.

Oh I am wittering on again sorry.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Putting my head above the parapet here but, strangely enough, I am ok with baked beans provided I only have a couple of tablespoons - I usually have them with about a tablespoon of mashed potato and Sausages (low carb of course).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've always bolused for baked beans (total carbohydrate value) and my numbers have always returned to normal levels. So that would imply that if I didn't bolus, my numbers would be in double figures.

I've read on this forum that some people need to take half the amount of insulin for baked beans. Everyone is different, and considering that beans belong to the "pulses" family - they are low GI, higher in fibre and highish in protein. All those factors can contribute towards bizarre effects on BG for a diabetic - including slow BG rise, delayed spikes and possibly hypos due to the innate slow carbohydrate release.

Very small portions of baked beans without insulin maybe okay, but I'd imagine if we were to eat a whole can without insulin then the impact would be very clear to see.

If I had any amount of baked beans with no insulin, my BS would go up.
410g of Morrison's savers baked beans, 13.4 carbs per 100g, 1/2 can, 27.4 carbs, the whole can, 54.8 carbs :wideyed:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I live in Wigan home of Heinz and I don't eat beans they are fibre but the sugar in them will push up your sugars. I too JohnEGreen remember the lovely smell from Uncle Joes Mintball factory.Haa happy days.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few years ago a friend of mine who is type 2 on insulin turned out all the tins of baked beans form his cupboard and passed them on to me. Ironically I was most probably T2 at the time but was unaware of it. So I took them Would not do so now.

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I have had no support from gp or practice nurse. Simply told to attend a support group for education. I have done what most people do and found with own way with t2. The support from this forum is good for me too. Thank heavens it exists.

Reactions: ziggy_w

hynes48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The beans are also slow release so you might need to square bolus. However, to say you don't need to bolus at all is hogwash.........in my sugarspiked opinion after not bolusing!

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Per 100g of beans the carbs are 12.9g but you are meant to deduct the fibre (3.7g) so net carbs to bolus against would be 9.2g. The beans are also slow release so you might need to square bolus. However, to say you don't need to bolus at all is hogwash.........in my sugarspiked opinion after not bolusing!
In the UK the fibre is not included in the carb count, as it is not digestible, so we get the net carbs, not the gross as in the US. I can't remember the last time I ate beans out of a tin, we have a huge great recycling bin for tins, bottles and jars, and it is never more than about 1/8th full after two weeks - we just don't do that sort of food and drink.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Per 100g of beans the carbs are 12.9g but you are meant to deduct the fibre (3.7g) so net carbs to bolus against would be 9.2g. The beans are also slow release so you might need to square bolus. However, to say you don't need to bolus at all is hogwash.........in my sugarspiked opinion after not bolusing!

Not in the UK. The total carb amount is what we count. The fibre element has already been deducted for us and is listed separately further down the list.

Reactions: azure

hynes48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Resurgam/Bluetit1802. You are both correct. Apologies everyone. I bought a book on the insulin pump last week and came across, what i thought was, this interesting fact! I just checked and it is for a US audience. Oops!

Thanks for the correction. I'm off to crack open a tin of beans!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told this in DAFNE as well and it worked for me, still does......

unless I have a full tin of them of course.....but I imagine most of you here don't do that.....

Last edited: