Parking fine...treating hypo!!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In both cases it was something that couldn't be helped. If you had just wandered back from shopping to find a fine then you would have no way to avoid paying. The OP didn't return late, she was sitting in her car recovering from a hypo which prevented her from driving until her bloods reached a level stipulated by DVLA.
Is that right? @ ellagy? Was @stellson sitting in the car at the time the ticket was issued? If so, then the ticket issuer could have seen there was a medical reason for the overstay. If not, it is unreasonable to claim the ticker issuer acted unfairly. How were they to know?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
You have every right to ask for leniency under the circumstances, so I would suggest getting in touch at the earliest opportunity to state your case here. They should be fair and the fact that you were unable to drive due to a medical condition affecting your ability should be take into account, good luck and please let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: azure and Nidge247

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've not contacted parking company

That would have been my first port of call because you were obviously receiving medical care, even if it was from yourself. Contact them as soon as possible, I've dealt with three different car parking companies in a short space of time and they all seem to have human beings working for them.

Don't be confused - they are grabbing bas*tards

Probably, but they are not aware of the circumstances yet.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
But her car was occupying a space that it was no longer entitled to occupy. It (she) had broken the contract that she had agreed to by parking there.
My car broke down in a service station and I received a large fine for overstaying the 2 hour limit. I eMail'd a copy of the AA document I signed at the time and I did not have to pay the fine. As mentioned in my other message, some companies have reasonable human beings working for them. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, I do tend to see the good in people rather than assume otherwise.

M

mist

If it were me, I'd tell them where to stick it! But that's just me :D

I'm sure if you contact them and explain the situation they will be understanding.

Best of luck.

Ged1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Because by parking in that space I would have entered a contract to pay for the space for a limited time. By exceeding that time a fine became due.

My personal circumstances have no bearing on whether I owe, or not.
Know what your talking about before you comment, ignorance is bliss

FrancisS

I notice you said you have evidence of your hypo on your Libre. Did you take a BG reading or was this the new scanner reading ? If it was, DVLA don't accept these readings so you may have been breaking the law anyway.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think MoneySavingExpert website has some general advice on fines from private parking companies - might be useful

Reactions: Ultramum

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is that right? @ ellagy? Was @stellson sitting in the car at the time the ticket was issued? If so, then the ticket issuer could have seen there was a medical reason for the overstay. If not, it is unreasonable to claim the ticker issuer acted unfairly. How were they to know?
I think these places use a mechanical means of deciding how long you have been in their car park and the OP said she had received a letter notifying her of the fine. They would not have been able to see her in her car recovering from the hypo so she should contact them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP didn't return late, she was sitting in her car recovering from a hypo which prevented her from driving until her bloods reached a level stipulated by DVLA.

I would not have gone anywhere near the car...
"Grey area", but if one takes note of the legality of being under the influence in charge of a motor vehicle?
Then mash that up with a police patrol routine (trained to spot suspicious activity.) round a car park on the offensive to deter car thieves & they just happen across such an individual "under such influence" sat in the car...?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The OP had to sit somewhere! And there aren't many places other than in your car in a car park :)

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The OP had to sit somewhere! And there aren't many places other than in your car in a car park :)

Quite right :) If you're low and have a baby with you, you're hardly going to wonder round looking for the best seating alternatives.

I think the DVLA guidance used to mention moving to the passenger seat and removing the key from the ignition or something, so it's clear you're not driving/about to drive.

Reactions: zand
M

ME_Valentijn

You are looking at it with the mindset of someone who wants to apply grey emotions and sympathy to a Yes/No issue.
But it's not a yes/no issue. Public perceptions and considerations regarding the damage to the reputation of the parking service are also relevant. People start off disliking them ... so they're usually happy to forego a few pounds if it means avoiding throwing fuel on the fire. Especially when it's pretty easy to demonstrate that the parker isn't trying to scam them.

But her car was occupying a space that it was no longer entitled to occupy. It (she) had broken the contract that she had agreed to by parking there.
Legal contracts can be impacted by the circumstances involved. Is someone required to pay if their car is run off the road and is occupying a space (or part of one) as a result? Or if they parked somewhere, but couldn't leave because a delivery truck double-parked next to them while unloading, and blocked them in?

Neither the parking service or the parker are at fault. They've both tried their best to do what is expected of them. The parker failed, due to circumstances reasonably beyond their control. The result is very much a grey area, but it's not untoward to ask the business to take what amounts to a very small hit, well within their expected loss margins, versus the parker getting a considerable dent in their wallet.

Either way, it's worth appealing. Not guaranteed to work, but it has a good shot. And if it fails, they shouldn't be punishing the parker with a higher fine in those circumstances.

Reactions: azure

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All we can hope for is common sense & fair play from the parking firm...

@stellson , do let us know how you got on...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would not have gone anywhere near the car...
"Grey area", but if one takes note of the legality of being under the influence in charge of a motor vehicle?
Then mash that up with a police patrol routine (trained to spot suspicious activity.) round a car park on the offensive to deter car thieves & they just happen across such an individual "under such influence" sat in the car...?

The DVLA says that if you have a hypo whilst driving you should stop in a safe place, remove the keys from the ignition and then move over to the passenger seat to treat the hypo, so the OP would be fine (as far as the Police are concerned) sitting in the car provided she wasn't in the drivers seat.

Good luck with getting the ticket reversed @stellson , do let us know how you get on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite right :) If you're low and have a baby with you, you're hardly going to wonder round looking for the best seating alternatives.

I think the DVLA guidance used to mention moving to the passenger seat and removing the key from the ignition or something, so it's clear you're not driving/about to drive.
@ellagy @azure.
The reason I asked about sitting in the car is that I didn't see the OP make any mention of sitting in the car in her posts. If, as we have just assumed she was, then it does indeed seem a callous action by the car park attendant, or whoever issued the fine for overstaying. If it was an automatic number plate recognition system, then all that is necessary is for the OP to write and explain the situation. It would be then the discretion of the car park authority. Very unfortunate situation for the OP, I agree, but technically if you overstay your alloted time then there are penalties, the terms and conditions are usually displayed, and form a contract . Regardless of the circumstances, the contract was not adhered to by @stellson, unintentionally and unfortunate though she was. @stellson, as some have already suggested, you should write to the car park authority explaining, and hope they will waive the excess fee. Wish you luck with it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would hope that the mitigating circumstances - ie the fact that the OP was legally not permitted to move the car due to a hypo and had no one with her who could move it would be considered and the fine waived or reduced whether she was in the car or recovering prior to,returning to it.

Good luck @stellson :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Have you considered how the parking company got your name an address? They get the info directly from the DLVA and if you are having hypos while driving you may have problems holding onto your driving licence as from several stories on here members have nightmares getting them back once they are cancelled due to hypos.

This is just a though that you may want to consider before challenging the ticket as these companies do have a relationship with the DVLA and should they feel the need to report this to the DVLA, well, like I said its just a thought to maybe bear in mind.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, hopefully @stellson will come back and set us straight on all the little details, including whether the appeal goes through successfully.

Reactions: Jaylee

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered how the parking company got your name an address? They get the info directly from the DLVA and if you are having hypos while driving you may have problems holding onto your driving licence as from several stories on here members have nightmares getting them back once they are cancelled due to hypos.

This is just a though that you may want to consider before challenging the ticket as these companies do have a relationship with the DVLA and should they feel the need to report this to the DVLA, well, like I said its just a thought to maybe bear in mind.
A valid point, @Sid Bonkers . Big brother is indeed watching!