Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
This is my first post (so excuse the length) but wanted to post my journey of "taking back control" as I never come across postings about long term diabetics of 10 years plus (on meds for years) turning their situations around and becoming med free and if there are any they appear hidden..

It appears all the research and successful trials undertaken ( by institutions/universities) to tightly control and reverse diabetic high blood sugars focus on those who were diagnosed under 10 years ago and there appears to be no appetite to get the same results for those diagnosed more than 10 years ago. Why?

This thread is not claiming a cure or to reversing or putting into remission anyone's diabetes diagnosis but it is claiming that control for long term diabetics on meds is realiseable and can be achieved off meds with the proper interventions and to hopefully inspire those who have had the condition long term 12, 15, 20 years to at least consider renewing their efforts to take back control again. So for those out there that want to know more here goes:-

By way of background I was diagnosed in 2000 with type II as my identical twin was diagnosed a month before so warned me and I got tested and diagnosed insulin resistant Type 2 diabetic, and initially diet controlled.

My medication regime prior to July 27 2017 was as follows:-Statins 20mg Altorvastatin

(First therapy) 2010:1x 500 mg twice a day of Metformin 2015 2x 500 mg twice a day (diet alone prior to this date but Hba1c continued to show increased BG levels)

(Second Therapy) 2016 put on an additional 5 mg of Linagliptin

HbA1c result in May '17 was circa 11%

Saw Diabetic Nurse May 2 2017 who advised I urgently need (Triple therapy) a Third Therapy of Gliclazide as a consequence of poor BG control. I asked for 12 weeks to see if I could turn it around and was told i should start ASAP. I pleaded give me one last chance and c12 weeks, if I can't improve by weight loss and drastic life style changes in 12 weeks I will willingly offer myself up and and take the Gliclazide...

Popped in to Doctor's surgery 2 weeks later to pick up previous HbA1c results on file for comparison and before the Receptionist could print off results she said "It's noted, you must come in urgently to be put on Gliclazide!" I said that I had spoke with the D.N and explained that I was about to undertake major lifestyle changes but it appeared to fall on deaf ears...

Following a month of extensive reading and researching articles and books by Prof Taylor, Dr Bernsteins Diabetic solution, Dr John Mcdougall, Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes to name just a few I was keyed up and ready to fight back. Being told that I had to take meds that would drop my BG to too low levels and that I might need sugar to rescue me was a wake up call that pushed me over the "ignorance is not bliss" cliff edge and to finally take real action. So.........

May 2 2017 (on all meds) Weight 14 Stone 9 (94.8 Kilos/209 pounds) HbA1c 98 mmol/mol (11.1%)

So a month later on June 2 2017 armed with my new found nuggets of knowledge I went on a strict whole plant only diet 6 days a week and my weakness Salmon Sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi on Wednesdays! No dairy products at all and replaced dairy milk with (unsweetened) soya milk in my coffee, dropped Olive Oil and porridge BG spikes! And kept the following personal mantras to help keep me on track and to stay focused every two weeks

1.- Do you want to do this for 2 weeks or not bother and risk going blind?
2.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and lose a toe or foot?
3.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and suffer Neuropathy (Nerve damage)and associated pain long term?
4.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and suffer Kidney damage?
5.-Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks and take back control or not bother and give control to others?

And that kept me on track. I went and bought a digital bathroom scale, glucose meter and strips from ebay and TEST/TEST/TEST. on wake up, pre meals and post 2 hours after each meal. Any food items that pushed me too high I dropped. Any that didn't I kept. In simply 8 weeks I lost 2 stone (12.70 Kilos/ 28 pounds) on what was simply a low carb low fat regime (yes I know low fat) Remember this was not a long term goal or permanent diet regime change but simply the answer to the question I asked myself after 17 years of being diabetic with worsening blood glucose readings. which was:-"How do I avoid going on Gliclazide?"

All the research pointed to the same answer for most if not all type 2's- weight loss and tight blood glucose control was the answer to achieving non diabetic Hba1c results. Get weight and BG levels under control and the rest happens in most cases automatically and very quickly it would appear.

The weight loss from a mostly lean diet of "Whole plant" (quickest way to weight loss I have ever personally experienced) and the regular monitoring of weight (daily) and use of the glucose meter, gave me instant feedback and the knowledge and control to react in real time if any result required a positive reaction to adjust.
I logged every entry of my readings on a simple excel spread sheet (it really does help one's focus) so that I could see in reality, a snap shot of progress or slippage occurring. It also demonstrates to the diabetic nurse how serious one is about taking personal control, of lifestyle change.

The downward impact on BG readings and the subsequent weight loss are really encouraging and are evident quite quickly and I prefer most things quickly.

I initially walked 7 miles (2 hours 2 mins) twice a week from week 4 to week 8 but in week 9 introduced in place of that, a brisk 4 days out of 7 1 mile walk each way (c33 minutes 2 miles in total to the local Sainsbury's supermarket and back) after lunch or dinner or both which impacted on my BG post meal readings as effectively as my 2x 7 mile walks did. (Simple interventions it appears have a big impact on BG readings and little and often is backed up by improving after meal readings following short walks, the meter doesn't lie, honest!)

Over time (c 2-3 weeks) I added salads from main chain restaurants that had little increase on my BG readings and those that did (like salads with Butternut squash I dropped)

My weight loss on occasion stalled but I stuck to the regime rigidly and the loss resumed as it always does over time.

On July 27 2017 I stopped all medication. My reason for this was simple. If I continued taking the meds and achieved the same result it could be interpreted that the meds had made the impact and contributed to those improvements along with the lifestyle changes, but if they are taken away they couldn't be seen as influencing results. Equally by having a glucose monitor if my results went rocketing after stopping meds but whilst keeping on this regime it would show up and I could go back on them quickly if need be.

So with that in mind I booked my follow up (Sept) HbA1c test . Weight was 12 stone (76.2 Kilos/168 pounds)

15 Sept 2017 HbA1c test
Result 41 mmol/mol (5.9%)

And this was achieved 17 years after being diagnosed Diabetic and all totally achieved without any anti Diabetic Meds!
Weight loss (@15/9/17) 2 stone 9 pounds/ 16.78 Kilos/ 37 pounds) in as little as 12-15 weeks!

Now I know that this regime is extreme but so was the thought of going on Gliclazide. I will introduce other more healthy elements in to my diet and will continue to test to see what happens as I reintroduce a little more carb and protein and some fats.

I am not advocating that this is a cure or reversal or remission but simply that there is hope for those of us who have had this condition for many years and if like me you have been told, that there is no turning back on rising blood glucose results for long term diabetics and you should simply take your meds and suffer the worsening consequences of one's rising blood sugars, you might simply resign yourself to that fact that "these are the cards I've been dealt with"
But in truth there is more we can do, much more, more than we are initially led to believe from many of the "experts" that we entrust our Diabetic care to. we just need all the tools and knowledge to act on it.
More of us are coming to realise that it's all about knowledge and monitoring and taking control. And the medical profession in most cases doesn't want you to have that knowledge nor that control. (If it did guess what, you'd be offered free test strips (not generally available in the UK for non insulin users) and proper diabetic dietary advice that offers quick and measurable change and gives results that are self evident and of course being in possession of the equipment to help you monitor and take control of those lifestyle changes ( Meters!) giving control back to the diabetic and enabling YOU to manage your personal BG improvements and consequently your health outcome.

Can I go back to the old weight and food choices I had? No. Can I treat myself once in a while? Yes but I need to monitor what I do. Is this a whole of life lifestyle? Yes with the reward that I am now in control of my future health not guided by a Diabetic Expert's KPI's.

(25/9) EDIT:- Visit to DN was very encouraging ( in contrast to the receptionist back in June!) DN Happy to confirm on my records that I was no longer on any diabetic medication nor requiring ongoing statin intervention. Agreed to further HbA1c and lipid tests at a timing to suit me and wrote scripts for those tests. So the journey continues...

I hope that this inspires in whatever way possible for others to take back control.

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Excellent results....however, I doubt eliminating dairy and meat (apart from some raw fish) from your diet had much to do with your success. Rather, your approach of "Any food items that pushed me too high I dropped" is what did it.

Reactions: rosalindp

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you but there's no doubt @NoCrbs4Me as I posted "it's all about knowledge and monitoring" and I simply ate to my meter the fact that my diet assisted my weight loss was incidental but was instrumental in that achievement in short time. And yes most definitely monitoring and adapting to my blood glucose results was equally instrumental as you noted but only in concert with the weight loss achieved. So yes, it all has a contributing element that worked for me personally be it my success in reducing my weight and in reducing my HBA1C levels in quick time. I for one am appreciative that this was done after 17 years being diagnosed and in 12-15 weeks without meds.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's amazing that those results can be achieved in such a short time.

Out of curiosity, what was your diet during the previous 17 years?

Have you had a consultation since you received your latest results? If so, what did they say?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely inspiring. Looking forward to hearing about the reaction of your D.N.

Reactions: Robert_D

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
This is my first post (so excuse the length) but wanted to post my extensive journey as I never come across postings about long term diabetics of 10 years plus (on meds for years) turning their situations around and becoming med free and if there are any they appear hidden..

It appears all the research and successful trials undertaken to tightly control and reverse diabetic high blood glucose and posted online relates to those who were diagnosed under 10 years ago and that at best research suggest that ongoing positive results might not be as rewarding for those diagnosed beyond 10 years.

This thread is not claiming a cure or to reversing or putting into remission anyone's diabetes diagnosis but it is claiming that control for long term diabetics on meds is realiseable off meds with the proper interventions and to hopefully inspire those who have had the condition long term 12, 15, 20 years to at least consider renewing their efforts to take back control again. So for those out there that want to know more here goes:-

By way of background I was diagnosed in 2000 with type II as my identical twin was diagnosed a month before so warned me and I got tested and diagnosed insulin resistant Type 2 diabetic, initially diet controlled..

My medication regime prior to July 27 2017 was as follows:-

Statins 20mg Altorvastatin,

2X 500 mg twice a day of Metformin for c6 years (i tried to manage on diet alone prior to this date but HBA1C's continued to show increased BG levels)

2016 put on an additional 5 mg of Linagliptin

HBA1C result in May '17 was circa 11%

Saw Diabetic Nurse May 2 2017 who advised I will need (Triple therapy) a third intervention of Gliclazide urgently as a consequence of poor BG control. I asked for 12 weeks to see if I could turn it around and was told it was too late. I pleaded give me one last chance and c12 weeks, if I can't improve by weight loss and drastic life style changes in 12 short weeks I will willingly offer myself up and and take the Glicazide. She advised against and urged me to take it...........

Popped in to Doctor's surgery 2 weeks later to pick up previous HBA1C results on file for comparison and before the Receptionist could print off results she said "It's noted, you must come in urgently to be put on Glicazide!" I said that I had spoke with the D.N and explained that I was about to undertake major life style changes but it appeared to fall on deaf ears......

Following extensive reading and researching Prof Taylor, Dr Bernsteins Diabetic solution, Dr John Mcdougall, Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes to name just a few I was keyed up and ready to fight back. Being told that I had to take meds that would drop my BG to too low levels and that I might need sugar to rescue me was a wake up call that pushed me over the ignorance is not bliss cliff edge and to take action. So.........

May 2 2017 (on all meds) Weight 14 Stone 9 (94.8 Kilos/209 pounds) HBA1C 98 mmol/mol (11.1%)

So on June 2 2017 with my new found knowledge I went on a strict whole plant only diet 6 days a week and my weakness Salmon Sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi on Wednesdays! No dairy products at all and replaced dairy with soya milk in my coffee, dropped Olive Oil and kept the following personal mantra to help keep me on track and to stay focused every two weeks

2.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and lose a toe or foot?
3.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and suffer Neuropathy (Nerve damage)and associated pain long term?
4.- Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks or not bother and suffer Kidney damage?
5.-Do you want to do this for a further 2 weeks and take back control or not bother and give control to others?

And that kept me on track. I went and bought a digital bathroom scale, glucose metre and strips from ebay and TEST/TEST/TEST. on wake up, post 2 hours after each meal. Any food items that pushed me too high I dropped. Any that didn't I kept. In simply 8 weeks I lost 2 stone (12.70 Kilos/ 28 pounds) on what was simply a low carb low fat regime (yes I know low fat) Remember this was not a long term goal or regime but simply the answer to the question I asked myself after 17 years being diabetic with worsening blood glucose readings. "How do I avoid going on Glicazide?"

All the research pointed to the same answer for most if not all type 2's- weight loss and tight blood glucose control being the answer. Get those two things under control and the rest happens in most cases automatically and very quickly it would appear.

The weight loss and the monitoring of that weight (daily) and use of the glucose metre gave me instant feedback and the knowledge to react in real time. I also logged every entry of my readings on a simple excel spread sheet so that I could show the diabetic nurse if I needed to, to back up my regime lifestyle changes and its impact on readings and weight loss. I introduced a brisk 1 mile walk each way (c33 minutes total to the local Saisburys and back) after lunch or dinner or both and that impacted on my BG post meal readings. (simple interventions have big impacts on BG readings honest!)

Over time (c 2-3 weeks) I added salads from main chain restaurants that had little increase on my BG readings and those that did (like salads with Butternut squash I dropped)

My weight loss would on occasion stall for a week to 10 days but I stuck to the regime and the loss resumed as it always does over time.

On July 27 2017 I stopped all medication. My reason for this was simple. If I continued taking the meds and achieved the same result it could be interpreted that the meds had an impact and contributed to those improvements along with the lifestyle changes, if they are taken away they couldn't be seen as influencing results. Equally by having a glucose monitor if my results went rocketing after stopping meds but keeping on this regime it would show up and I could go back on them quickly if need be.

So with that in mind I booked my follow up HBA1C test . Weight was 12 stone (76.2 Kilos/168 pounds)

15 Sept 2017 HBA1C result 41 mmol/mol (5.9%) And this was achieved after 17 years and totally without any Meds in as little as 12-15 weeks!

Now I know that this regime is extreme but so was the thought of going on Glicazide. I will introduce other more healthy elements in to my diet and will continue to test to see what happens as I reintroduce a little more carb and protein and some fats.

I am not advocating that this is a cure or reversal or remission but simply that there is hope for those of us who have had this condition for many years and believed because they are told, that there is no turning back on controlling blood glucose rising for long term diabetics, that they must simply take their meds and worsening consequences of rising blood sugars as there is nothing they can really do about it. In truth there is more than we realise but it's all about knowledge and monitoring. And the medical profession in most cases doesn't want you to have that knowledge or control. (If it did guess what, you'd be offered free test strips and proper diabetic education to help you monitor and take control of life style changes that has real impact and BG improvements to one's health outcome)

Can I go back to the old weight and food choices I had? No. Can I treat myself once in a while? Yes but I need to monitor and keep tabs so that I don't fall off the wagon. Is this a whole of life life style? Yes but with the reward that I am now in control of my future health and not of my Diabetic nurses own goals and KPI's.

I am seeing the D.N in 3 days. They have the results of the latest HBA1C but not that I have stopped my meds nor of the weight loss achieved to date so should be an interesting discussion on the merits of Glicazide LOL.

Will report back (brief I promise) on my replacement for statins and Cholesterol control.

I hope that this inspires in whatever way possible for others to take back control.

Well done, thats a fantastic result and egg on the face of your DN, welcome to the club mate and keep it up

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fantastic results! It's very pleasing to read.
What sort of things do you eat? My daughter is vegan and has begged me on more than one occasion to try it. Even though she's strict (for moral reasons) she is a student and eats crisps, bagels and dairy free choc.
Do you eat soy products?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is my first post (so excuse the length) but wanted to post my extensive journey as I never come across postings about long term diabetics of 10 years plus (on meds for years) turning their situations around and becoming med free and if there are any they appear hidden..

It appears all the research and successful trials undertaken to tightly control and reverse diabetic high blood glucose and posted online relates to those who were diagnosed under 10 years ago and that at best research suggest that ongoing positive results might not be as rewarding for those diagnosed beyond 10 years.

This thread is not claiming a cure or to reversing or putting into remission anyone's diabetes diagnosis but it is claiming that control for long term diabetics on meds is realiseable off meds with the proper interventions and to hopefully inspire those who have had the condition long term 12, 15, 20 years to at least consider renewing their efforts to take back control again. So for those out there that want to know more here goes:-

By way of background I was diagnosed in 2000 with type II as my identical twin was diagnosed a month before so warned me and I got tested and diagnosed insulin resistant Type 2 diabetic, initially diet controlled..

My medication regime prior to July 27 2017 was as follows:-

Statins 20mg Altorvastatin,

2X 500 mg twice a day of Metformin for c6 years (i tried to manage on diet alone prior to this date but HBA1C's continued to show increased BG levels)

2016 put on an additional 5 mg of Linagliptin

HBA1C result in May '17 was circa 11%

Saw Diabetic Nurse May 2 2017 who advised I will need (Triple therapy) a third intervention of Gliclazide urgently as a consequence of poor BG control. I asked for 12 weeks to see if I could turn it around and was told it was too late. I pleaded give me one last chance and c12 weeks, if I can't improve by weight loss and drastic life style changes in 12 short weeks I will willingly offer myself up and and take the Glicazide. She advised against and urged me to take it...........

Popped in to Doctor's surgery 2 weeks later to pick up previous HBA1C results on file for comparison and before the Receptionist could print off results she said "It's noted, you must come in urgently to be put on Glicazide!" I said that I had spoke with the D.N and explained that I was about to undertake major life style changes but it appeared to fall on deaf ears......

Following extensive reading and researching Prof Taylor, Dr Bernsteins Diabetic solution, Dr John Mcdougall, Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes to name just a few I was keyed up and ready to fight back. Being told that I had to take meds that would drop my BG to too low levels and that I might need sugar to rescue me was a wake up call that pushed me over the ignorance is not bliss cliff edge and to take action. So.........

May 2 2017 (on all meds) Weight 14 Stone 9 (94.8 Kilos/209 pounds) HBA1C 98 mmol/mol (11.1%)

So on June 2 2017 with my new found knowledge I went on a strict whole plant only diet 6 days a week and my weakness Salmon Sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi on Wednesdays! No dairy products at all and replaced dairy with soya milk in my coffee, dropped Olive Oil and kept the following personal mantra to help keep me on track and to stay focused every two weeks

And that kept me on track. I went and bought a digital bathroom scale, glucose metre and strips from ebay and TEST/TEST/TEST. on wake up, post 2 hours after each meal. Any food items that pushed me too high I dropped. Any that didn't I kept. In simply 8 weeks I lost 2 stone (12.70 Kilos/ 28 pounds) on what was simply a low carb low fat regime (yes I know low fat) Remember this was not a long term goal or regime but simply the answer to the question I asked myself after 17 years being diabetic with worsening blood glucose readings. "How do I avoid going on Glicazide?"

All the research pointed to the same answer for most if not all type 2's- weight loss and tight blood glucose control being the answer. Get those two things under control and the rest happens in most cases automatically and very quickly it would appear.

The weight loss and the monitoring of that weight (daily) and use of the glucose metre gave me instant feedback and the knowledge to react in real time. I also logged every entry of my readings on a simple excel spread sheet so that I could show the diabetic nurse if I needed to, to back up my regime lifestyle changes and its impact on readings and weight loss. I introduced a brisk 1 mile walk each way (c33 minutes total to the local Saisburys and back) after lunch or dinner or both and that impacted on my BG post meal readings. (simple interventions have big impacts on BG readings honest!)

My weight loss would on occasion stall for a week to 10 days but I stuck to the regime and the loss resumed as it always does over time.

On July 27 2017 I stopped all medication. My reason for this was simple. If I continued taking the meds and achieved the same result it could be interpreted that the meds had an impact and contributed to those improvements along with the lifestyle changes, if they are taken away they couldn't be seen as influencing results. Equally by having a glucose monitor if my results went rocketing after stopping meds but keeping on this regime it would show up and I could go back on them quickly if need be.

So with that in mind I booked my follow up HBA1C test . Weight was 12 stone (76.2 Kilos/168 pounds)

15 Sept 2017 HBA1C result 41 mmol/mol (5.9%) And this was achieved after 17 years and totally without any Meds in as little as 12-15 weeks!

Now I know that this regime is extreme but so was the thought of going on Glicazide. I will introduce other more healthy elements in to my diet and will continue to test to see what happens as I reintroduce a little more carb and protein and some fats.

I am not advocating that this is a cure or reversal or remission but simply that there is hope for those of us who have had this condition for many years and believed because they are told, that there is no turning back on controlling blood glucose rising for long term diabetics, that they must simply take their meds and worsening consequences of rising blood sugars as there is nothing they can really do about it. In truth there is more than we realise but it's all about knowledge and monitoring. And the medical profession in most cases doesn't want you to have that knowledge or control. (If it did guess what, you'd be offered free test strips and proper diabetic education to help you monitor and take control of life style changes that has real impact and BG improvements to one's health outcome)

Can I go back to the old weight and food choices I had? No. Can I treat myself once in a while? Yes but I need to monitor and keep tabs so that I don't fall off the wagon. Is this a whole of life life style? Yes but with the reward that I am now in control of my future health and not of my Diabetic nurses own goals and KPI's.

I am seeing the D.N in 3 days. They have the results of the latest HBA1C but not that I have stopped my meds nor of the weight loss achieved to date so should be an interesting discussion on the merits of Glicazide LOL.

Will report back (brief I promise) on my replacement for statins and Cholesterol control.

Glued to my screen reading this. Well done for not having in and going on further meds. Keep pushing your goals as the weight loss will assist you to be more active.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Amazing result - so well done! I'm encouraged to share my "journey", having been lurking around this forum gleaning so much knowledge and inspiration from all the fabulous posts.

I was diagnosed with T2 in 2008. Advised to eat healthily and try to lose some weight. Brilliant, I thought, I will sort myself out (at last) Did I? Did I, heck! After what seems like many different medication strategies, I ended up injecting insulin. Oo er - that felt too "hard core" for me. Shame and fear pushed me to take up 10,000 steps a day along with a low carb way of eating. I managed to lose 2 stones and the insulin! Fab-u-lous darling!! Achieved this during 2013 - 2014.

It is said that after big change, human nature means that we revert to type if efforts to maintain the changes are not made! Meet that typical human! Slowly and insidiously, weight started creeping back on and HBA1C stared to rise. Did I take action? Did I heck!! Only after a brief encounter with a terribly fat old woman (me, in a hotel room full length mirror - no such thing in my house, thank you very much - denial was my only comfort back then!) did I REALLY stop and take stock. Why oh why was I eating sweets, bread, chips, takeaways - the carb demons were allowed back into my life and we partied!!! Facing my 60th birthday next year ( did I really say that out loud?!) I at last set to.

Firstly taking inspiration and guidance from Dr Moseley's Blood Sugar Diet, Dr Jason Fung's You Tube videos and latest book (Superheroes, both, to me!) I embarked on a LCHF way of eating with 16:8 fasting regime. It's working for me! I have lost 39lbs since 30th May. I now have a BMI of 22.6 - was 29. My monitored BG is usually in the 5s, sometimes 4s and sometimes a little higher if I fall off the wagon - I am human, so do fall occasionally! What is more important to me is that I climb right back on and keep rolling along!

My next DN appointment is 13th Oct. She is very supportive of LCHF and has seen me briefly during my current efforts and was really pleased. Watch this space! Hoping for improvement from last HBA1C of 56. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for long post - I'm so happy with myself - just wanted to thank you all for such support and inspiration along the way, as well as into the future!

Well!! I've only been and gone and done it!! I attended Diabetes Clinic a couple of weeks ago. Drum roll please.... Hba1c was 35 - yes 35!!!!! DN is very happy. Metformin and Trulicity returned to chemist for safe disposal - hurrah I'm on my own now to control BG with my low carb diet. So happy! My weight loss is now 42lbs which has plateau'd over the last few weeks - all good!

PLEASE if there are any "lurkers" out there, wondering if Low Carbing is worth the effort - IT SO IS!!

Again, thanks to all of you - a continuing source of inspiration and encouragement

SV x

Last edited:

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @shrinking_violet You see it doesn't matter whether you were diagnosed 9 years ago or 17 years ago, all that matters is starting the journey to "Take back control".

Reactions: Biggles2

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Fantastic outcomes from shrinking violet and Robert D. This will inspire those who have had Type 2 diabetes for more than 10 years and are constantly told that they are on the inevitable route to more medication and complications. Excellent, encouraging news!!

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing result - so well done! I'm encouraged to share my "journey", having been lurking around this forum gleaning so much knowledge and inspiration from all the fabulous posts.

I was diagnosed with T2 in 2008. Advised to eat healthily and try to lose some weight. Brilliant, I thought, I will sort myself out (at last) Did I? Did I, heck! After what seems like many different medication strategies, I ended up injecting insulin. Oo er - that felt too "hard core" for me. Shame and fear pushed me to take up 10,000 steps a day along with a low carb way of eating. I managed to lose 2 stones and the insulin! Fab-u-lous darling!! Achieved this during 2013 - 2014.

It is said that after big change, human nature means that we revert to type if efforts to maintain the changes are not made! Meet that typical human! Slowly and insidiously, weight started creeping back on and HBA1C stared to rise. Did I take action? Did I heck!! Only after a brief encounter with a terribly fat old woman (me, in a hotel room full length mirror - no such thing in my house, thank you very much - denial was my only comfort back then!) did I REALLY stop and take stock. Why oh why was I eating sweets, bread, chips, takeaways - the carb demons were allowed back into my life and we partied!!! Facing my 60th birthday next year ( did I really say that out loud?!) I at last set to.

Firstly taking inspiration and guidance from Dr Moseley's Blood Sugar Diet, Dr Jason Fung's You Tube videos and latest book (Superheroes, both, to me!) I embarked on a LCHF way of eating with 16:8 fasting regime. It's working for me! I have lost 39lbs since 30th May. I now have a BMI of 22.6 - was 29. My monitored BG is usually in the 5s, sometimes 4s and sometimes a little higher if I fall off the wagon - I am human, so do fall occasionally! What is more important to me is that I climb right back on and keep rolling along!

My next DN appointment is 13th Oct. She is very supportive of LCHF and has seen me briefly during my current efforts and was really pleased. Watch this space! Hoping for improvement from last HBA1C of 56. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for long post - I'm so happy with myself - just wanted to thank you all for such support and inspiration along the way, as well as into the future!

Oh my!!! You are my inspiration!!!

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @shrinking_violet You see it doesn't matter whether you were diagnosed 9 years ago or 17 years ago, all that matters is starting the journey to "Take back control".
Like you Robert_D I was diagnosed more than 14 years. I used to follow the DN advice ie "need to eat carbs etc etc". But that changed 10 months ago after reading Dr Michael Moseley book and reading the research by prof Roy Taylor. LCHF did it for me! Since diagnosis Hb1Ac used to be in the 50 to 58 and on drugs. I have lost 3 stone Hb1Ac now 36-38 No drugs. Still want to lose 10lbs to get under 25 BMI. I'm happy and very pleased for you too
Glued to my screen reading this. Well done for not having in and going on further meds. Keep pushing your goals as the weight loss will assist you to be more active.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congrats @wolfie53 another confirmation that achieving sufficient weight loss and tight bg control through sensible low carb means equates to controlling diabetes type 2 rather than it taking control of you. You no doubt wake up every morning knowing that it was you that made that decision to take that first step and you that decided to keep going no matter what, so well done young Jedi. Long may you prosper from your excellent efforts.

Reactions: wolfie53