Statins & high cholesterol

Rutho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes just over 3 months ago. I have high cholesterol but I was given 3 months to try and get it down. I got it lowered slightly but I think my doctor is thinking of putting me on a statin and the website “my diabetes my way” suggests that even if your cholesterol is normal, if you are over 40 and have type 2 it’s generally thought that it’s a good idea to put you on statins anyway!
Anyone have any ideas about this as I’ve heard statins aren’t that great for you?

Reactions: Paul-j

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll just post this here for you

you may find it illuminationg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Putting people on statins is just what doctors seem to do these days.
I took them for a few weeks along with Metformin and felt dreadful. I had lots of problems, including memory loss.
My husband, rather shaken by what happened to me has decided to stop taking statins, and his personality has changed back to what it used to be - no more grouchy old man.
My sister is in despair as her husband will not stop the statins but has gone from an active amiable man who liked reading and used to love to go out to meet and to chat with their friends to someone who sits and stares at the TV, has no conversation, some days he can't even say a polite word to anyone. He watches the same film several times over but can't recall the plot or the actors.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I just loathe it when health care professionals 'give you three months to....' as if we, the patients, have no choice in what treatment we take or refuse.

Statin use is one of the most contentious topics on the forum. You must decide for yourself but make sure your decision is an informed one. Read up on the subject. I suggest you start with Aseem Malhotra, a well respected cardiologist and Malcolm Kendrick a GP who both have lectures and interviews screened on youtube. Kendrick's book 'The Cholesterol Con' is easy to follow as well as being an eye opener. Good luck.

Rutho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I’ll review everything and let you know what I think.

Reactions: Guzzler

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Hi

I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes just over 3 months ago. I have high cholesterol but I was given 3 months to try and get it down. I got it lowered slightly but I think my doctor is thinking of putting me on a statin and the website “my diabetes my way” suggests that even if your cholesterol is normal, if you are over 40 and have type 2 it’s generally thought that it’s a good idea to put you on statins anyway!
Anyone have any ideas about this as I’ve heard statins aren’t that great for you?

Well I wouldn't be too keen and I refused them myself but I think they are forced to offer them when your Qrisk is over 10%. Is you cholesterol really high or is it just the total C you are referring to? What is the ratio? I think that is the most important number. Do some research there is plenty of information around the net. My own dr said they are good if you have already had a stroke/heart event but didn't believe in the over medicalization of healthy people so had to offer me one but I refused. That was before diabetes came along ...
However someone I know, newly diagnosed, was put on them immediately although took no other medication for the diabetes itself and they gave him dreadful muscle pains [common side effect]. He went back to the dr and they changed brands and he's OK on those. I think they start you on the cheapest brand.

Rutho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I wouldn't be too keen and I refused them myself but I think they are forced to offer them when your Qrisk is over 10%. Is you cholesterol really high or is it just the total C you are referring to? What is the ratio? I think that is the most important number. Do some research there is plenty of information around the net. My own dr said they are good if you have already had a stroke/heart event but didn't believe in the over medicalization of healthy people so had to offer me one but I refused. That was before diabetes came along ...
However someone I know, newly diagnosed, was put on them immediately although took no other medication for the diabetes itself and they gave him dreadful muscle pains [common side effect]. He went back to the dr and they changed brands and he's OK on those. I think they start you on the cheapest brand.

The total is 7.3 - HDL is 1.20 and LDL is 5.1 not sure why it doesn’t see to add up.

D

Deleted Account

I too was told the advice for anyone over 40 with diabetes is to have statins.
However, this is based on research with "unhealthy" patients.
I am pretty fit going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, walking 10K steps each day as well as climbing and cycling.
It was explained to me there has been no research involving patients undertaking exercise and the value of statins.

So I declined the kind offer and let the NHS spend my statin money on someone else more deserving.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so should i stop them or not .no point talking to my doctor. i have all those issues on the video. my memory is dreadful total loss of energy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so should i stop them or not .no point talking to my doctor. i have all those issues on the video. my memory is dreadful total loss of energy.
Your decision.. my take on would be... if I ate something that did that to me would I continue eating it?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What annoys me is that when your Qrisk score is calculated, it automatically adds on 10 when they click the diabetic option. No account is taken for how well (or badly!) the Diabetes is controlled!
I have refused statins twice so far. Third time lucky at next month’s review when I hope that my GP will give up trying to persuade me!

Reactions: Grannypat

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i will discuss with the wife. im likely to get my ear chewed off. but then whats new. (wife is a district nurse).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The total is 7.3 - HDL is 1.20 and LDL is 5.1 not sure why it doesn’t see to add up.

Hi,

The total is HDL + LDL + 46% of the triglycerides.

It is the HDL (good cholesterol - the higher the better) and the triglycerides (the ones that need to be as low as possible) that are important.

Was the test a fasting one? If not, next time you need to fast whether they tell you to or not. Your triglycerides will be raised if you don't fast.

If you have any existing heart or stroke issues, it is a different matter.

Rutho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The total is HDL + LDL + 46% of the triglycerides.

It is the HDL (good cholesterol - the higher the better) and the triglycerides (the ones that need to be as low as possible) that are important.

Was the test a fasting one? If not, next time you need to fast whether they tell you to or not. Your triglycerides will be raised if you don't fast.

If you have any existing heart or stroke issues, it is a different matter.

Hi,
Yes it was a fasting one. I am not aware of any existing heart issues, no stroke issues though.

Had a telephone appointment with the doctor today and she said there’s a lot of bad news about statins out there but they don’t publish much about the good news. She said as my cholesterol is still high and has only come down very slightly since first diagnosed 3 months ago, she strongly thinks I should go on statins as I have a high risk due to also having diabetes. I’ve said I’ll think about it but I’m not taking any yet as my diet has changed again along with joining the gym doing weight and high intensity training!

Hotpepper20000

My question is if there s no history of heart or stroke problems is high cholestrol something to worry about?
I guess everyone needs to do their own research and decide.
I have chosen not to be concerned about it as no one in my extended or immediate family has any heart conditions

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a very strong familial history of CHD/CVD in my family but after extensive reading I have decided against statin use.

@Rutho I would dearly love to see the 'good news' your GP speaks of, especially in light of the continued refusal of Rory Collins to publish industry funded data pertaining to statin use.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts. There is no scientific justification for someone who has well-controlled diabetes and good lipids ratios to be offered statins; it's just the NHS being silly. Note you should look at your lipids ratios and not the total cholesterol to see where you are. Also note that having cholesterol that is too low is just as bad as high cholesterol.