8 Months Since Type 2 Diagnosis

Melanie22056

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Melanie. I suggest you write your own post in the ‘Newly Diagnosed’ section. You’ll get showered with advice as I did. So many helpful people on this forum, it’s a great place.

Thank you very much Rachox. I will take a look and repost! Thanks

Reactions: ianpspurs

Motters

Rachel very well done, you must be overjoyed. I do hope that you are getting better?

I was interested to see you were following a low carb approach but had been taking around 50 to 100 carbs a day? I have had some success with LCHF/ketosis but have begun plateauing in weight. I need to get back on track post Christmas and this story is so inspiring.

Can I ask, did you also eat high fat? Or concentrate on low carb? I suppose, what is a ‘typical day’ as regards menus etc.for you?

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Way to go!

I have never understood that "don't test" nonsense. It's useless and I find dangerously bad advice, but hey, congrats to you. You should be proud of yourself. :)

I really do not understand the need to test so frequently. What does testing do, apart from letting you know if your numbers are high or low? Do you change your diet for that day? I am confused. Help, please.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really do not understand the need to test so frequently. What does testing do, apart from letting you know if your numbers are high or low? Do you change your diet for that day? I am confused. Help, please.
It’s personal choice really. When first diagnosed I tested a lot, I needed the incentive of seeing my levels drop to keep me inspired to continue to improve my health. I needed to know which foods I could tolerate and adjusted my diet accordingly. I gradually reduced readings to before and after breakfast and dinner. I want to be the first to know if anything in my body changes and I can make adjustments quickly rather than waiting 3-6 months til my next HbA1c by which time damage may have started. So long as I can afford to carry on testing and my fingers are ok I will continue.

harri83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya - well done to you, this is such an inspiring post. I’m recently diagnosed type 2 along with recent PCOS diagnosis and am getting my heard round both and how they work together.
I have around 4/5 stone to loose myself. Can I ask what programme you followed for weight loss? What exercise did you do etc. Once again we’ll done on the huge achievement.

As my title suggests, 8 months ago today I received a Type 2 diagnosis out of the blue (I had just had an annual blood test as I’m on BP meds). I found this forum that day and haven’t looked back. I found oodles of info that made sense, not the NHS rubbish Eatwell Plate and don’t test, quite the contrary, low carbing and self testing was the route I took. Initially 100g of carbs and 8 tests per day. Now I’m currently eating 50-70g of carbs per day and testing 4-6 times depending what else is going on in my life, illness, stress etc... and I continue on Metformin.
I now have a non diabetic HbA1c and have lost 5 stone in weight. I feel better than I have done in years. I’m currently on crutches after major surgery on my foot just before Christmas but am coping well, not sure I would have if I still carried the extra 5 stone. My sugars were a little raised after surgery but soon dropped back to my normal.
I have immense praise for this Forum, the admins, the moderators and all the Jo public contributors, there is so much expertise here and always a response to be had, whatever the question.
Thank you, thank you everyone! :happy:

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya - well done to you, this is such an inspiring post. I’m recently diagnosed type 2 along with recent PCOS diagnosis and am getting my heard round both and how they work together.
I have around 4/5 stone to loose myself. Can I ask what programme you followed for weight loss? What exercise did you do etc. Once again we’ll done on the huge achievement.

Hi Harri, welcome to the Forum. I opted for a low carb diet firstly to control my blood sugars but with the happy other effect of losing weight easily. I went for less than 100g carbs per day initially. Then after six weeks I dropped to between 50-70g.
Weight loss initially was very rapid, now I continue to lose around a pound per week. I really just adapted foods I already cooked but dumped rice, pasta, normal bread, cereals and baked products along with obvious sugar. I’ve referred to the following websites for recipe ideas:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
I use low carb alternatives like cauliflower rice, Explore Cuisine pasta alternatives, HiLo bread and Lidl high protein rolls. The only fruit I eat are berries. I drink my coffee black.
EDIT Sorry forgot the exercise bit, that’s cos I have arthritis so any ernest exercise is difficult for me. I just try small things like using the stairs instead of the lift, parking further from the supermarket door etc..

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A fab story @Rachox ! Really well done and also for being such a great forum member - always ready to share advice and support people, with a big dash of humour and humanity. You are one of the key people I see on here, who really make it the amazing place it is :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A fab story @Rachox ! Really well done and also for being such a great forum member - always ready to share advice and support people, with a big dash of humour and humanity. You are one of the key people I see on here, who really make it the amazing place it is :)
Aww thanks! Making me blush! :oops:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachel very well done, you must be overjoyed. I do hope that you are getting better?

I was interested to see you were following a low carb approach but had been taking around 50 to 100 carbs a day? I have had some success with LCHF/ketosis but have begun plateauing in weight. I need to get back on track post Christmas and this story is so inspiring.

Can I ask, did you also eat high fat? Or concentrate on low carb? I suppose, what is a ‘typical day’ as regards menus etc.for you?

Thanks
Sorry Motters I missed your post earlier. Yes I’ve havent gone overboard on the high fat bit. A bit of a mixture really! I do eat double cream with strawberries and the coconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, no grains) I eat for breakfast is high fat but I pick low fat unsweetened Greek yoghurt and some cheeses I eat low fat versions. I’ve had a few low carb high fat treats over Xmas but when they’re finished I’ll be back to I suppose you’d call it low carb/moderate fat.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym work
Starving myself
Way to go!

I have never understood that "don't test" nonsense. It's useless and I find dangerously bad advice, but hey, congrats to you. You should be proud of yourself. :)
Any chance of sharing what carbs supported you. I have red so much sad,y no one states what the carbs are any need to use the library johanna

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So looking at this graph am I right in saying Glucose levels can go up if you are ill? I only ask because after 3 weeks around 6.0 my pre breakfast level today was 6.9 for no apparent reason except I have a bad cold? In the 8 month period since I was diagnosed T2 my HBAC1 has gone from 124 down to 44 and why cant we have both measurements on the same scale?
Just had 2 weeks of this cold flu thing going around with bg readings up to 9.5 thank fully back to 6.0-6.5s

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any chance of sharing what carbs supported you. I have red so much sad,y no one states what the carbs are any need to use the library johanna
I have drastically cut my carbs, they are not essential. Energy can be derived from other foods. I’ve cut out rice, pasta, normal bread, cakes, cereals and all fruits except berries. I use low carb alternatives such as cauliflower rice, Explore Cuisine low carb pasta alternatives, HiLo high protein bread, Lidl high protein rolls. I don’t eat cakes or biscuits unless I’ve baked them myself from low carb recipes. I don’t eat sweets or chocolate unless it’s 85% dark chocolate. Hope that helps.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Rachox! I've been on a similar journey with similar results, it is great to have company! My one-year anniversary of diagnosis is next month....

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My thinking on Metformin is very much like @Rachox, I don’t do as much testing, but have made very similar food changes and am getting similar results. My next A1C is not due for another month, and then I will post my detailed results.

While I don’t get the side effects of Metformin, I rather aim for an A1C of 35 while taking Metformin, then a A1C of just below 48 without taking Metformin. (My thinking would be very different if Metformin effected my quality of life!)

hammerotis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
congratulations on your success keep up the good work
hope your foot gets better soon and doesn't hold you back too much

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As my title suggests, 8 months ago today I received a Type 2 diagnosis out of the blue (I had just had an annual blood test as I’m on BP meds). I found this forum that day and haven’t looked back. I found oodles of info that made sense, not the NHS rubbish Eatwell Plate and don’t test, quite the contrary, low carbing and self testing was the route I took. Initially 100g of carbs and 8 tests per day. Now I’m currently eating 50-70g of carbs per day and testing 4-6 times depending what else is going on in my life, illness, stress etc... and I continue on Metformin.
I now have a non diabetic HbA1c and have lost 5 stone in weight. I feel better than I have done in years. I’m currently on crutches after major surgery on my foot just before Christmas but am coping well, not sure I would have if I still carried the extra 5 stone. My sugars were a little raised after surgery but soon dropped back to my normal.
I have immense praise for this Forum, the admins, the moderators and all the Jo public contributors, there is so much expertise here and always a response to be had, whatever the question.
Thank you, thank you everyone! :happy:
That’s awesome news and inspirational for others in the same boat ( myself) are you still low carbing now?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My thinking on Metformin is very much like @Rachox, I don’t do as much testing, but have made very similar food changes and am getting similar results. My next A1C is not due for another month, and then I will post my detailed results.

While I don’t get the side effects of Metformin, I rather aim for an A1C of 35 while taking Metformin, then a A1C of just below 48 without taking Metformin. (My thinking would be very different if Metformin effected my quality of life!)
I agree VERY STRONGLY! (It's a shame there is no emoticon for that, and also for DISAGREE VERY STRONGLY).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s awesome news and inspirational for others in the same boat ( myself) are you still low carbing now?

Thank you for your kind words! And yes I stay at between 50 and 70g of carbs per day.