What Would Count as a Cure for Type 2?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My elderly dad ate a very varied diet, he came from a very poor background in Gallowgate, Scotland, but gave up smoking his pipe in the 1980's, but liked a drink or two, or three etc and always ate carbs, he lived to 94 <3
That doesn't prove a "varied diet" is the healthiest, though, for most people. Perhaps he would have lived even longer if he had eaten differently. If a person smoked like a chimney and lived to 93 that wouldn't prove that smoking is healthy. You have to look at a population. As I said, I think the standard western diet increases your chances of getting one or more of the "western diseases", but doesn't guarantee it, just like smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer, but doesn't guarantee it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Linked to the western diet are the levels of stress caused by modern living/society - e.g. the effects of social media, the rush to buy ever more 'stuff' that is not needed - and that stress on sleep patterns, all of which link into T2. To see a 'cure' would involve not only medical breakthroughs and good diet adoption, it would also necessitate a considerable reduction in modern stress levels. One could argue that these western stress levels are by and large self-induced - after all, we have potable water at the turn of a tap, we have far more food than is necessary all around us, we have excellent health care (compared to other countries), warm houses, etc - yet in general we don't appear to be a happy bunch. Of course there are many thousands who struggle daily with lack of money and other stress factors largely out of their control. It struck me that it is a sad state of affairs that there are businesses now selling digital detoxes and how to relax in a forest. If people need to sign up/pay out for a course or break just to walk in and lie/sit in a forest (the latest trendy thing), then it is a sorry state of affairs. I am at a loss to see how these stresses can be reduced, and therefore how T2 and other western diseases and ailments can be cured.
Many on this forum have reversed their type 2 diabetes and I don't recall a single one of these people saying that reduction of stress is what did it.

Reactions: dbr10

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many on this forum have reversed their type 2 diabetes and I don't recall a single one of these people saying that reduction of stress is what did it.

Perhaps I was being simplistic: I wasn't implying that reduction of stress alone would reverse T2 - of course it wouldn't - and of course for those many on this forum, diet has worked wonders. But I feel that high stress levels, and the bad sleep that often goes with them, have a large bearing on SOME trying to reverse their T2 and should, to my mind, be part of the equation/question of finding a cure.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do believe that for many people diagnosed, low carb (but not very low) combined with exercise has been shown to reverse metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance and allow good control of BG and insulin with a normal diet of moderate carbs, fats and protein. I think that where possible this s the most desirable approach rather than focusing on removing whole food groups permanently.
Should this not prove a viable option, exploring a very low carb diet is an option, but it does carry more risk than a balanced diet.
Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this one.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps I was being simplistic: I wasn't implying that reduction of stress alone would reverse T2 - of course it wouldn't - and of course for those many on this forum, diet has worked wonders. But I feel that high stress levels, and the bad sleep that often goes with them, have a large bearing on SOME trying to reverse their T2 and should, to my mind, be part of the equation/question of finding a cure.

While I have no idea if my sleeping patterns contributed to T2, I have a suspicion that sleep is an important factor in trying to manage it / reduce the problem. It's something I'm really working on at the moment, because I struggle to sleep.

I've never yet noticed a 'liver dump' phenomenon in myself. My bg seems to slowly decline all night. So longer sleeps often give me the better morning fbs. And of course, you are fasting while sleeping, and allowing the body to rest/repair.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you will find that @NoCrbs4Me eats as many carbs as he wants. That may well be zero which is fine for him.

I am simply challenging what he may believe to be the definition of cured......

he can eat what he likes and still think he is cured....

I am just saying I don't believe that to be true....

but, at least let him respond.....;)

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted member 371625

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this one.
I'm happy to disagree, I just think that those who are newly diagnosed should have some idea of alternative, successful approaches, not jut LCHF which appears to be the favoured approach in this forum. None of the approaches is risk free.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am simply challenging what he may believe to be the definition of cured......

he can eat what he likes and still think he is cured....

I am just saying I don't believe that to be true....

but, at least let him respond.....;)

So far as I know he has never claimed to be "cured" ...you just said that.
But you are right I'll let him speak for himself.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So far as I know he has never claimed to be "cured" ...you just said that.
But you are right I'll let him speak for himself.

Ha ha, I panicked there thinking I had made it up.....

please note post number 4 of the thread....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That doesn't prove a "varied diet" is the healthiest, though, for most people. Perhaps he would have lived even longer if he had eaten differently. If a person smoked like a chimney and lived to 93 that wouldn't prove that smoking is healthy. You have to look at a population. As I said, I think the standard western diet increases your chances of getting one or more of the "western diseases", but doesn't guarantee it, just like smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer, but doesn't guarantee it.

Well my dear ole dad did have a healthy varied diet and lived a full life with very little medication. So 94 is a wonderful age, how many can say it isn't. So I will have to disagree with you there..

D

Deleted member 371625

Stress may cause a fight/flight response which includes a shot of glucose to prepare the body for action. Not a problem for a healthy person, but for a T2 it may be like eating some carbs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For sure reducing stress is beneficial for type 2 diabetes and for overall health.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well my dear ole dad did have a healthy varied diet and lived a full life with very little medication. So 94 is a wonderful age, how many can say it isn't. So I will have to disagree with you there..
So if someone who smoked lived to 94 without getting lung cancer that would prove to you that smoking is healthy for everyone?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Can you eat as many carb as you like....?

A low carb diet in in fact a form of treatment...
In fact, I can. I have a bad habit of experimenting with carbs when I use a Freestyle Libre occasionally. I appear to have a non-diabetic blood glucose response when I eat carbs. I don't think that's healthy, though, so I don't eat carbs, other than during the Freestyle Libre experiments.

I don't consider eating in a healthy manner a form of treatment. Drugs and surgery are forms of treatment.

Reactions: novorapidboi26
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am telling you
So if someone who smoked lived to 94 without getting lung cancer that would prove to you that smoking is healthy for everyone?

My father ate carbs ,had a long and healthy life, with little medication to 94 years old, say's a lot and I should know, I knew him for nearly 60 years. I hope I follow in his footsteps.

ps We all know how unhealthy, smelly and anti social smoking is.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am telling you

My father ate carbs ,had a long and healthy life, with little medication to 94 years old, say's a lot and I should know, I knew him for nearly 60 years. I hope I follow in his footsteps.

ps We all know how unhealthy, smelly and anti social smoking is.

Virtually everyone who lived to be 94 ate carbs. But so did the people who only made it to 60.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people of your dad's generation ate carbs @Robinredbreast What they did not eat was the modern Western diet comprising ready meals, take-a-ways, processed food, nasty industrialised vegetable oils, and not forgetting grazing, snacking, and huge massive portions.

My 2 grandmas lived to their mid 90's, all their many siblings did likewise, so did great grandma, my mum lived to 89, dad only managed it to 72. None had diabetes as far as they or I were aware. They ate carbs - home made pies were almost a daily occurrence. They just did not have all the rubbish that is available today, and ate 3 square meals and maybe a small light supper at bedtime. This is most likely a reason all of them lived long and healthy lives, not even a glimmer of arthritis either.

Edited to change tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biggles2