1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What Would Count as a Cure for Type 2?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Grateful, Jan 13, 2018.

1. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That doesn't prove a "varied diet" is the healthiest, though, for most people. Perhaps he would have lived even longer if he had eaten differently. If a person smoked like a chimney and lived to 93 that wouldn't prove that smoking is healthy. You have to look at a population. As I said, I think the standard western diet increases your chances of getting one or more of the "western diseases", but doesn't guarantee it, just like smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer, but doesn't guarantee it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. NoCrbs4Me

Many on this forum have reversed their type 2 diabetes and I don't recall a single one of these people saying that reduction of stress is what did it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was being simplistic: I wasn't implying that reduction of stress alone would reverse T2 - of course it wouldn't - and of course for those many on this forum, diet has worked wonders. But I feel that high stress levels, and the bad sleep that often goes with them, have a large bearing on SOME trying to reverse their T2 and should, to my mind, be part of the equation/question of finding a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you eat as many carb as you like....?

A low carb diet in in fact a form of treatment...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. bulkbiker

I think you will find that @NoCrbs4Me eats as many carbs as he wants. That may well be zero which is fine for him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AdamJames

AdamJames Type 2 · Well-Known Member

While I have no idea if my sleeping patterns contributed to T2, I have a suspicion that sleep is an important factor in trying to manage it / reduce the problem. It's something I'm really working on at the moment, because I struggle to sleep.

I've never yet noticed a 'liver dump' phenomenon in myself. My bg seems to slowly decline all night. So longer sleeps often give me the better morning fbs. And of course, you are fasting while sleeping, and allowing the body to rest/repair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. novorapidboi26

I am simply challenging what he may believe to be the definition of cured......

he can eat what he likes and still think he is cured....

I am just saying I don't believe that to be true....

but, at least let him respond.....;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. midnightrider

midnightrider Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm happy to disagree, I just think that those who are newly diagnosed should have some idea of alternative, successful approaches, not jut LCHF which appears to be the favoured approach in this forum. None of the approaches is risk free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bulkbiker

So far as I know he has never claimed to be "cured" ...you just said that.
    But you are right I'll let him speak for himself.

11. novorapidboi26

Ha ha, I panicked there thinking I had made it up.....

please note post number 4 of the thread....

12. bulkbiker

b****r....

• Funny Funny x 2
    #92 bulkbiker, Jan 15, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
  13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well my dear ole dad did have a healthy varied diet and lived a full life with very little medication. So 94 is a wonderful age, how many can say it isn't. So I will have to disagree with you there..

14. midnightrider

midnightrider Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Stress may cause a fight/flight response which includes a shot of glucose to prepare the body for action. Not a problem for a healthy person, but for a T2 it may be like eating some carbs.

15. NoCrbs4Me

For sure reducing stress is beneficial for type 2 diabetes and for overall health.

16. NoCrbs4Me

So if someone who smoked lived to 94 without getting lung cancer that would prove to you that smoking is healthy for everyone?

17. NoCrbs4Me

In fact, I can. I have a bad habit of experimenting with carbs when I use a Freestyle Libre occasionally. I appear to have a non-diabetic blood glucose response when I eat carbs. I don't think that's healthy, though, so I don't eat carbs, other than during the Freestyle Libre experiments.

I don't consider eating in a healthy manner a form of treatment. Drugs and surgery are forms of treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I am telling you
    My father ate carbs ,had a long and healthy life, with little medication to 94 years old, say's a lot and I should know, I knew him for nearly 60 years. I hope I follow in his footsteps.

ps We all know how unhealthy, smelly and anti social smoking is.

19. NoCrbs4Me

Virtually everyone who lived to be 94 ate carbs. But so did the people who only made it to 60.

20. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Most people of your dad's generation ate carbs @Robinredbreast What they did not eat was the modern Western diet comprising ready meals, take-a-ways, processed food, nasty industrialised vegetable oils, and not forgetting grazing, snacking, and huge massive portions.

My 2 grandmas lived to their mid 90's, all their many siblings did likewise, so did great grandma, my mum lived to 89, dad only managed it to 72. None had diabetes as far as they or I were aware. They ate carbs - home made pies were almost a daily occurrence. They just did not have all the rubbish that is available today, and ate 3 square meals and maybe a small light supper at bedtime. This is most likely a reason all of them lived long and healthy lives, not even a glimmer of arthritis either.

Edited to change tag.

• Like Like x 1
    #100 Bluetit1802, Jan 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook