Diabetes on Jeremy Vine show earlier today

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else hear the diabetes debate on Jeremy Vine show on R2 today? Apologies if someone else has already posted about this, but here's the link on iplayer if anyone wants to listen to it:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s8g4z

I found it a bit scaremongering, the most positive parts were call-ins from listeners who'd managed to improve/reverse theirs. Wish Michael Mosley had been asked to speak on it.

Reactions: dbr10 and jwd1

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is almost no need to watch it because you know without question that it will be going on about 'overweight people' and if only they weren't so glutenous. Remember how people with AIDS were treated to begin with as well, all this programme will do is blame, blame, blame.

Reactions: LooperCat and dbr10

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is almost no need to watch it because you know without question that it will be going on about 'overweight people' and if only they weren't so glutenous. Remember how people with AIDS were treated to begin with as well, all this programme will do is blame, blame, blame.
Well I think you've hit the nail on the head there! There was lot of chat about people needing to help themselves. Which made me sad as I had spent years trying to 'help myself' to lose weight but found it very difficult. Low carb on the other hand...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
upload_2018-2-27_16-15-24.jpeg

This is Diabetes UK putting out the message that diabetes is serious and on the rise but again some popular myths were reinforced by Jeremy saying non too gently that it was the doughnut munchers' fault despite valiant efforts by the actual type 2s who had cured themselves and the DuK spokesperson! So it was a blame game because folk like to feel morally superior to other folk and if you get fat then get sick they are happy to believe that it is because you have indulged in sloth and gluttony (lack of walking and doughnuts etc.) not that we all been given terrible public health advice for decades and not all type 2s are obese at diagnosis.
Would have been more useful to move onto How Did you 'reverse' your disease? Incidentally, any thoughts on a better slogan than 'Walking Definciency Disease' or ! Stop Eating Doughnuts' ? Dr Robert Lustig calls diabetes 'processed food disease' and this seems more accurate to me! If not catchy.

Reactions: dbr10

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25446
This is Diabetes UK putting out the message that diabetes is serious and on the rise but again some popular myths were reinforced by Jeremy saying non too gently that it was the doughnut munchers' fault despite valiant efforts by the actual type 2s who had cured themselves and the DuK spokesperson! So it was a blame game because folk like to feel morally superior to other folk and if you get fat then get sick they are happy to believe that it is because you have indulged in sloth and gluttony (lack of walking and doughnuts etc.) not that we all been given terrible public health advice for decades and not all type 2s are obese at diagnosis.
Would have been more useful to move onto How Did you 'reverse' your disease? Incidentally, any thoughts on a better slogan than 'Walking Definciency Disease' or ! Stop Eating Doughnuts' ? Dr Robert Lustig calls diabetes 'processed food disease' and this seems more accurate to me! If not catchy.
I don't even understand what they meant by Walking deficiency disease. I would call it 'intolerant to carbohydrates disease' - people like Jeremy Vine wouldn't believe me - but I honestly didn't eat much sugary food before dx - loads of 'healthy' carbs, but haven't touched a doughnut in years. I felt the Diabetes UK spokesperson could have been a little more positive about reversal - like you say it would have been good to get someone up on the latest research on as well with a more positive message.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this @eggs11 listening to this made my blood pressure go up! It was one of these programmes where you just couldn’t win regardless - even the positive message towards the end that you could improve the situation if you had it was treated by Jeremy as probably not helpful as maybe more people would eat more doughnuts if they thought they could reverse it ! The diabetes nurse had some good messages she ev3n mentioned low carb but she also said that most people didn’t follow the advice to eat more healthily and exercise more. I did used to do those things but still got overweight and got diabetes despite doing long mountain hikes etc etc! It was only when I eventually, with some difficulty, found and adopted LCHF and intermittent fasting and stopped worrying about the exercise that I managed to turn things around.....yet the official advice was never questioned so it clearly has to be us all eating donuts and preferring to take the tablets which of course are paid for by our thin citizens as we get them free.

Reactions: Guzzler and eggs11

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Dr Robert Lustig calls diabetes 'processed food disease' and this seems more accurate to me! If not catchy.

Personally, I'd have to disagree. I'd been avoiding processed food for more years than I can remember, except for the three months after moving in with my wife. I gained three stone in three months and was told the salt in WW ready meals was to blame. I've cooked from scratch since those three months in 1989, as I had done before then. My type II was diagnosed in 1997.

We are not all the same, processed food may well be the cause of some people's type II, just not all.

Reactions: eggs11

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I thought it was one of the better programs on the radio about diabetes. I was amazed and pleased that the DN mentioned going low-carb - so good to hear. I think it is important to press home the message about not being overweight. It seriously increases the risk of T2 and for many going low-carb will help.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I thought it was one of the better programs on the radio about diabetes. I was amazed and pleased that the DN mentioned going low-carb - so good to hear. I think it is important to press home the message about not being overweight. It seriously increases the risk of T2 and for many going low-carb will help.
You like the 'blame the fatties' message then! It has been assumed that because there is a link between obesity and T2 that obesity causes T2. I heard there was some recent research to show that it may be the other way round. T2 sometimes starts very many years (perhaps 20) before T2 is diagnosed and that actually diabetes may be the cause of some obesity.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been saying for at least 5 years that weight gain, particularly around the middle, is symptom, not a cause, of type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: darenu and eggs11

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had friends in with the radio on in the background and I was completely embarrassed and for the first time since diagnosis I felt ashamed and I just wanted my friends to leave so I could lick my wounds. I had a very very rare free lunch with my son out with my husband and made a wonderful low carb prawn and avocado pasta for everyone with a low carb chic cake for afters and I was literally choking on it- I was feeling guilty for eating!

I thought it was awful some of the terms they were using and was very one sided saying lose all your blubber you fat git and you'll get rid of it - guess what- it doesn't always work like that I lost 12st and I'm still diabetic - I found it so upsetting and I may be being over sensitive but it ruined my day :(

Edit: Lol low carb chic cake - should be choc- now that made me chuckle :)

Reactions: Biggles2

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had friends in with the radio on in the background and I was completely embarrassed and for the first time since diagnosis I felt ashamed and I just wanted my friends to leave so I could lick my wounds. I had a very very rare free lunch with my son out with my husband and made a wonderful low carb prawn and avocado pasta for everyone with a low carb chic cake for afters and I was literally choking on it- I was feeling guilty for eating!

I thought it was awful some of the terms they were using and was very one sided saying lose all your blubber you fat git and you'll get rid of it - guess what- it doesn't always work like that I lost 12st and I'm still diabetic - I found it so upsetting and I may be being over sensitive but it ruined my day :(
There were many aspects of it which weren't helpful at all and were just being sensationalist - they were just trying to get listeners worked up so they'd phone in.
I hope your guests could see how much effort you put into controlling your diabetes, with the special low carb food you made - if anything they should be proud of you. Your food sounds yum!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't hear the discussion but did hear Ken Bruce saying to Vine earlier that he has type 2 as does most of his family. He disagreed with the excess weight/food theory. Perhaps they should have included him in the actual debate.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ork like that I lost 12st and I'm still diabetic - I found it so upsetting and I may be being over sensitive but it ruined my day :(

Edit: Lol low carb chic cake - should be choc- now that made me chuckle :)
If you have a link to low carb choc cake recipe please do share - sounds lush (as we say in the west country!).

Reactions: Happyhomelands

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't hear the discussion but did hear Ken Bruce saying to Vine earlier that he has type 2 as does most of his family. He disagreed with the excess weight/food theory. Perhaps they should have included him in the actual debate.
Interesting - was that as he handed over to Vine? Will have a listen.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There were many aspects of it which weren't helpful at all and were just being sensationalist - they were just trying to get listeners worked up so they'd phone in.
I hope your guests could see how much effort you put into controlling your diabetes, with the special low carb food you made - if anything they should be proud of you. Your food sounds yum!
They are great friends, very supportive and probably weren't even listening anyway - making far too much noise lol - but my ears pricked up like they do when you hear something that applies to you - like I said over sensitive lol

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting - was that as he handed over to Vine? Will have a listen.
Probably about three-quarters through his programme, when Vine and he have a quick chat about what's coming up. I wasn't sure if it was in the public domain that he has Type 2 or he was disclosing due to Vine's comments. I think the latter. See what you reckon.

Reactions: Hwad and eggs11

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a link to low carb choc cake recipe please do share - sounds lush (as we say in the west country!).
It's not an online one - it's super easy

6 eggs separated
8oz dark chocolate - I use 2 bars Lindt 90%
6 teaspoons butter
Grated rind of 1 orange
Sweetener to your taste

Melt chocolate and butter 15 secs in microwave
Whisk in egg yolks and orange zest
Whisk egg whites and sweetener together and fold into chocolate mix

Bake at 135deg cent. For 45 minutes
And that's it!

Keep in fridge and take out 30 minutes before serving or cut a slice and zap for 10 secs in microwave
It's very very rich so don't need much - can't remember off hand carbs for whole cake but it's easy worked out
ENJOY!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not an online one - it's super easy

6 eggs separated
8oz dark chocolate - I use 2 bars Lindt 90%
6 teaspoons butter
Grated rind of 1 orange
Sweetener to your taste

Melt chocolate and butter 15 secs in microwave
Whisk in egg yolks and orange zest
Whisk egg whites and sweetener together and fold into chocolate mix

Bake at 135deg cent. For 45 minutes
And that's it!

Keep in fridge and take out 30 minutes before serving or cut a slice and zap for 10 secs in microwave
It's very very rich so don't need much - can't remember off hand carbs for whole cake but it's easy worked out
ENJOY!
Thank you SO much - haven't had cake for weeks and weeks since going low carb - this looks like a very delicious option! :hungry: