What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Welcome back @shelley262 - weather must be a bit of a shock! Sounds like a great break.

Glad you’re feeling better, @ziggy_w

Well today has been an odd one. Travelled up to Manchester for work to attend a conference. Turned up at venue to find it had been cancelled and no-one had bothered to tell us! It was decided that changing/replacing our advance tickets for tomorrow would cost more than the hotel room booked, so ended up staying. Spent most of the day in coffee shops with my boss, plus a brief visit to the Lowry. Absolutely bitter outside, so didn’t explore any further.

Had planned out my eating, but change of plans sent it awry. Had my packed Lidl protein roll with salami and cheese on the train. This was planned as brunch, but conference cancellation meant we went for lunch. Had a bunless burger with broccoli.

Dinner was a starter of chicken and chorizo skewers, followed by chicken escalope - breaded - with salad and mayonnaise. At 1 hour BG was only 5.1, but just tested at 2 hour mark 7.1! Not too bad, but won’t be repeating.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Welcome back @shelley262 - weather must be a bit of a shock! Sounds like a great break.

Glad you’re feeling better, @ziggy_w

Well today has been an odd one. Travelled up to Manchester for work to attend a conference. Turned up at venue to find it had been cancelled and no-one had bothered to tell us! It was decided that changing/replacing our advance tickets for tomorrow would cost more than the hotel room booked, so ended up staying. Spent most of the day in coffee shops with my boss, plus a brief visit to the Lowry. Absolutely bitter outside, so didn’t explore any further.

Had planned out my eating, but change of plans sent it awry. Had my packed Lidl protein roll with salami and cheese on the train. This was planned as brunch, but conference cancellation meant we went for lunch. Had a bunless burger with broccoli.

Dinner was a starter of chicken and chorizo skewers, followed by chicken escalope - breaded - with salad and mayonnaise. At 1 hour BG was only 5.1, but just tested at 2 hour mark 7.1! Not too bad, but won’t be repeating.
You seem to have coped well with the change of plans. I still go into panic mode if meal plans are changed as I like everything planned in advance so I don’t muck up!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (carefully measured 2 tsp) washed down with a white coffee (still using almond milk to save calories and carbs)
Lunch: chicken supreme, mixed veg and celeriac mash followed by strawberries and cream.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner: cold meats, cheese and salad buffet at ILs with one Jaffa cake.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And me. I find it really hard to do.
I don't have any tips other than making it a habit. I spoke in public when I worked so still water was a way of life for me and I still get through between 6-8 pints per day. Hubby has a pint of iced water waiting for me when I head downstairs for the school run. Anytime I have food I have a pint of water. I take my sports bottle with me to the gym/swimming/aqua fit. Another pint goes with me at bedtime and I always have water in the car. It's a habit that has rubbed off on my grandsons too as they only drink water or milk which is not a bad thing.

Reactions: Mufflana and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I aim for 4 litres a day, and need to keep an eye on the clock to get there.
Usually end up at 3.5+
Usually end up trying for a litre every 3 hours, 9-12, 12-3, 3-6 and 6-9, with an awareness that if I am glugging water after 8pm then there will be multiple toilet trips in the night.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee - just Sunday to do thankfully. Bed 6.7 FBG 7.3. Seem to be recovering as arms are not as achy now but still lacking energy. Glad to hear you are shifting it @ziggy_w.
Sunday
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and yes that Mexicanised version of the cheesy corned beef eggy thingy (even Hubby calls it that now).
L. Nothing. Son wanted to go shopping so hubby cleared the snow of the car and out I went.
D. Rib eye with celeriac chips, spinach and mushrooms. I also had a wee prosecco.
Halo Top and 6 raspberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I aim for 4 litres a day, and need to keep an eye on the clock to get there.
Usually end up at 3.5+
Usually end up trying for a litre every 3 hours, 9-12, 12-3, 3-6 and 6-9, with an awareness that if I am glugging water after 8pm then there will be multiple toilet trips in the night.
Oh I can relate to the multiple toilet trips but weirdly I seem to have improved and mostly last until 7.50 am (which is normal get up time).

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Came here looking for inspiration and have got some good ideas, thank you :) Am going to try the coconut porridge, and would love to try this cheesy corned beef thing that a lot of people have mentioned but cannot find the post with the recipe. Can anyone help me out please?
Also, what does DD signify please? (i.e. DD Porridge etc)

Thank you in advance :happy:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Came here looking for inspiration and have got some good ideas, thank you :) Am going to try the coconut porridge, and would love to try this cheesy corned beef thing that a lot of people have mentioned but cannot find the post with the recipe. Can anyone help me out please?

DD = Diet Doctor (as in the website).

The cheesy corned beef thingy is @Brunneria ’s creation. Basic recipe is corned beef fried with a couple of fried eggs and some cheese. There have been many variations by various posters. I add onion to mine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Another day of going slightly off the rails - but at least with low carb items. Back home and hopefully on track now.

Breakfast - hotel buffet. 2 fried eggs, 2 rashers bacon, 1 small (likely carby) sausage. Abandoned the grilled tomato as it tasted very sweet.

Lunch - bag of Awfully Posh Pork Crackling.

Dinner - Waitrose lamb kleftico.

Downfall once again was chocolate. Slipped into Hotel Chocolat at Manchester Piccadilly Station and picked up a box of 85% dark batons. They had disappeared not long after I got home. Wonder what happened to them :wideyed:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all good to see the sun today...
Breakfast one slice of bacon and one egg fried in butter
Lunch small pieces of cheese, Stilton. Shropshire blue, gambazola and vintage cheddar a ‘few’ walnuts and six 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner chicken stir fry made with explore cuisine bean pasta for noodles followed by lemon and lime mousse - made 6 for week from one lemon and lime sugar free jelly, double cream, lemon zest and juice all whipped up.
@Goonergal just remember how much you cheer us all up when you perform your low carb chocolate disappearing tricks! My nuts have been going down rapidly today too I don’t know how I end up opening the nut cupboard! Training in brum for next three days and I find stress makes me want to eat a bit more. I’ve got long days but back each evening and plans in place - at least in the day I’ll be nowhere near the nut and chocolate cupboard or a hotel chocolate! Limited by portions packed in my bag!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal just remember how much you cheer us all up when you perform your low carb chocolate disappearing tricks! My nuts have been going down rapidly today too I don’t know how I end up opening the nut cupboard! Training in brum for next three days and I find stress makes me want to eat a bit more. I’ve got long days but back each evening and plans in place - at least in the day I’ll be nowhere near the nut and chocolate cupboard or a hotel chocolate! Limited by portions packed in my bag!

Work related travel seems to bring on the munchies. Did manage to get to the gym when I got home.

Hope your training goes well.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I mexicanise the cheesy corned beef thingy.
I use a tiny pan from Lidl. Fry tablespoon chopped onion and tablespoon peppers (whatever colour I have) in a little olive oil with paprika and hot sauce. I add tablespoon chopped chorizo and fry a little more. Then add 4 or 5 chopped Santini tomatoes , let them soften down and add in 2 broken up slices of corned beef. Mix through , make a well in the middle and crack an egg into it. Wait until the egg white starts to form then remove from the burner and pop under a hot grill until your egg is at a stage you like. Add a swirl of cream over the top and sprinkle grated mozzarella on it. Return to grill until mozzarella is melted, sprinkle on chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Breakfast . 2 slices of Burgen with Cheese and Ham cup of tea 1 Splenda
Lunch . Cheese , Chicken , Ham , Ommlette Coffee no sugar.
Dinner . Chicken breast with mushrooms and red/green peppers and peri peri sauce. 2 small slices Burgen bread
I think this is low carb hope it is or I’m doin it wrong

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hungry day today....maybe after not eating much yesterday.....went with it though!
B : Flax bread, butter and coffee with cream
L : Fried eggs followed by chocolate cream
D: Ribeye slathered in garlic butter

Snow disappearing here and life returning to normal, hope all well with everyone

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your kind wishes, @shelley262, @maglil55, @DJC3, and @Goonergal. Definitely am feeling a whole lot better. After a full day at work today, I realize I still am a bit weak, but I am sure this will improve quickly.

Very early breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A DD keto roll -- one half with mayonnaise and chicken breast and the other half with mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Second meal around 4 p.m. after returning home: A wiener sausage, lamb strips with scrambled eggs and cheddar, roasted vegetables with Greek yoghurt, about 60g of hummus. A small serving of homemade low-carb chocolate mousse with whipping cream and half a glass of dry red wine.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast . 2 slices of Burgen with Cheese and Ham cup of tea 1 Splenda
Lunch . Cheese , Chicken , Ham , Ommlette Coffee no sugar.
Dinner . Chicken breast with mushrooms and red/green peppers and peri peri sauce. 2 small slices Burgen bread
I think this is low carb hope it is or I’m doin it wrong
Hi Peadair - anything under 100 - 130g is considered to be low carb but lots of us here go much lower.....you find what works for you!
Sounds like a nice menu though!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hungry day today....maybe after not eating much yesterday.....went with it though!
B : Flax bread, butter and coffee with cream
L : Fried eggs followed by chocolate cream
D: Ribeye slathered in garlic butter

Snow disappearing here and life returning to normal, hope all well with everyone
love ribeye