Massive increase in blood sugar after breakfast

Hughie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome.
A lot fof us have found that by reducing our carb intake we lower our blood sugar and insulin response to food.
We also manage to lose weight. This then can also help to lower cholesterol (assuming that is what we need or want to do).
So we don;t have the side effects from diabetes because our blood sugars are out of the diabetic range and our bodies are not so likely to develop heart disease and furred arteries.
There have also been a huge amount of threads on the forum about cholesterol (that substance without which we would all be dead) and whether it is a good idea to control it using medication. I'll leave you to have a look around for some of them.
But to answer your specific point .. fats are not only good for us they keep us full for longer and providing they aren't from highly processed vegetable oil are pretty beneficial.

Thank you for your feedback, bulkbiker. There is contradictory advice out there, but most people seem to adopt a "find what works for you" approach, which is fair enough.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a confused newcomer too!
Isn't one of the health issues from having diabetes an increased risk of heart disease and furred arteries? How does a diet high in saturated fats, cream, cheese, eggs etc. help that?

Of course you are confused. Most of us were when first diagnosed, but it gets better the more we learn.

If you do your research you will find that current experts in the field are telling us that avoiding dairy and saturated fats is wrong.
The evidence on low fat is good, saturated fat is bad has been shown to be false. It is just taking the NHS and national dietary associations a while to catch up. These are just 3 websites. There are many more.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/31/bjsports-2016-097285

https://www.dietdoctor.com/saturated-fat-bad

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/04/carbohydrates-cardiovascular-disease/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed type 2 straight onto Metformin, HbA1c of 67 had gestational with both pregnancies and had insulin.
I know that any carbs send my BG up and Im feeling really angry and upset about that as I do not enjoy low carb eating and have been given no choice at the age of 44. I am a little overweight but certainly not obese. Personally I am not dealing well with the fact that I cannot have porridge or toast for breakfast. I also have high blood pressure and cholesterol and take medication, this is all inherited and I am angry about that too. Anyone else or is it just me?
I have a boatload of hereditary issues. Some will kill me early, some just mean pain. All. The. Time. So yeah, I know the feeling. I did get both my bloodsugar and my cholesterol under control with lchf, but my thyroid's being a b****, so I've been gaining weight. Which means I'm going to try Keto next! 20 grams of carbs a day, max... While I can't use any dairy products. So that's going to be a puzzle! Still, better that than not giving it a shot. There's plenty of options out there. Diets, medication... This is what's working for me. (HbA1c a nice non-diabetic 38 and dropping, cholesterol these days perfectly fine. I just hate that I'm gaining weight again. In spite of all the rabbitfood.). Doesn't mean it's what'll work for you. There are options out there... Just find whatever floats your boat. I desperately wanted to avoid insulin, the pills made me ill and ache... I didn't have any other viable choice than change my diet. Find what works for YOU.

lindisfel

Expert
You seem to have an unfortunate manner, Glitter? :).
The people here are trying to give you the benefit of what works for them.
There are not superior but have done their homework and have been guided in their approach by the results on their blood glucose meters.

You can take the advice or leave it, your under no compulsion whatsoever!
I happened to take their advice a few years ago and have benefitted from it.

You and your family may be exceptional T2D's who can cope with insulin resistance and high blood glucose and live to be a hundred!

Many of us wish we had your kind of genes and didn't have to fight this disease! :) ;)
D

You people are truly unreal!!! How dare you be so superior?! My father in law has type 2 diabetes and has had for 20 years he follows a normal healthy diet and takes insulin and has no consequences. I was only diagnosed 5 days ago and have only taken 2 Metformin, I may be someone that can tolerate more carbs eventually. There is nothing sadder to see than people who think they are superior because something works for them and to be derogatory to those who don’t share their views. In fact I know plenty of people who are diabetic and don’t follow this fad diet, if it works for you great, but don’t beat those who may struggle or may not need to follow suite. I came here for support and understanding. Shame on you

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, if your blood sugar suddenly increased, it shows that you have to start caring for your condition even more. You have to look up your diet (including the breakfast) and make changes to it. You can about the diet changes from your doctor or a dietitian. All you need to do is focus on your health a bit more. Read this:

Taking Care of Diabetes

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what’s been said so far, so if you still want a porridge like breakfast have what I have, Diet Dr coconut ‘porridge’, not real porridge not a grain in sight! 4g carb per portion, I eat it with cream and a couple of strawberries (one of the lowest carb fruits) Here’s a link to the recipe:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
Here’s some info on fruit too:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
oooh rather like the sound of that 'pretend' porridge.....*goes off to jot down recipe* thank you x

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a confused newcomer too!
Isn't one of the health issues from having diabetes an increased risk of heart disease and furred arteries? How does a diet high in saturated fats, cream, cheese, eggs etc. help that?
www.dietdoctor.com check out this site in relation to cholesterol as it explains it very well. We have been conditioned to believe that 'fat' is bad when actually certain fats are very beneficial (even essential to health-especially brain health) Yes you are correct in that diabetes is a risk factor in CVD but only one factor, Cholesterol is mostly manufactured by the liver and not that influenced by what you are eating. It is not the 'bad' cholesterol which is harmful but the ratio between the good/bad/triglycerides which is important. Your overall cholesterol number is not as important as how it is broken down.

A far bigger risk to CVD would be obesity, smoking and stress, get in control of those factors and cholesterol is less of a worry. Eggs are full of protein and very good for you. Saturated fats, cheeses, cream etc help with satiety which is important when low carbing so you don't feel hungry. It takes you a while to get your head around how you can eat these things and lose weight)when combined with low carbing)...have a read around on the forums.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Hi,
I was diagnosed last week with type 2 and immediately put on to Metformin starting with a low dose gradually rising over several weeks.
My diet has always been pretty good but I have cut out as many carbs and sugars as I can.
This morning my blood glucose (BG) was 6.9 before breakfast, which was a bowl of porridge made from rolled oats which is what I normally have .I also had a kiwi fruit. After one hour my BG had shot up to ovro 14 mmol/l and I felt awfel .
I normally have porridge and I have read kiwi is good for diabetics.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here, or what on earth is going on. I am having a lot of trouble understanding the fluctuations, I know it is early days but any help would be welcome.

U did not mention the amount you have taken. It may be helpful to weigh the amount and record down to help u decide how much to reduce or they need to be eliminated. The last time i saw a 14mmol reading from my father's blood was when he took something like 70g carb in a meal. After i adjusted it to 30g or below per meal, i mostly see 8.5 or below.

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As everyone is talking about low carb diet here, yesterday I learned about keto diet plan. So, should I follow it? I have type-2 diabetes and it's been about 3 weeks since I was diagnosed with the condition.

Reactions: ickihun

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
As everyone is talking about low carb diet here, yesterday I learned about keto diet plan. So, should I follow it? I have type-2 diabetes and it's been about 3 weeks since I was diagnosed with the condition.
I would say yes

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c was 38 while on low carb high fat, which I heartily reccomend, but due to thyroid issues my weight was creeping up again, after losing 20 kilo's. So I've stepped up my game a little and am trying keto since a few days... So far, so good...! And my meter is showing even better numbers than before. Even the numbers in the morning are becoming lower, which I never managed properly before. Really looking forward to my next labs! So yeah, keto might be worth it. Just be aware you might feel ill for a few days (as your body switches what to burn, carbs or fat), and if you're on drugs, be careful not to hypo. Your meter is your best buddy!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My thyroid doesn't work - but I was prescribed Thyroxine to compensate - have taken it for decades now, and that seems to fix it, no problem.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thyroid doesn't work - but I was prescribed Thyroxine to compensate - have taken it for decades now, and that seems to fix it, no problem.
(My levothyroxine dosage was off... Now the bloodwork is finally good and I don't have any other symptoms, just weight gain which I can't quite explain. Then again, could be down to the contraceptive I use to control my migraines... Hadn't thought of that before!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's my favoured way of eating.. if you can follow it then go for it.

tshirtmeister

Fast for 3 weeks and you will be cured! Check the diet doctor or search Dr Jason Fung! His Videos convinced me to fast and Im in full remission! Im so thankful I tried it. 21 days was a *****. Although it was way harder to quit smoking. Last Friday I had Ham, Eggs, large order of Hash Browns with toast! Two hrs after the meal 120mg/dl. Works. Most days I skip the carbs, but once a week I go out and am OK glucose wise. Fasting three weeks was the best thing I ever did, BP is 110/70, COPD is better and Diabetes is on the run. It was harder to quit smoking than fast.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember that keto is not diabetic specific, some recipes may contain foods you can not tolerate.

Reactions: stephenlopez

richardterry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very early after diagnosis, I went to breakfast cereals with no added sugar. The only ones I found were shredded wheat or mini wheats. From what I had been told they should have been good for me. But I had five (yes count five) mini wheats with a tablespoon of milk, and my blood sugar rocketed. At that point I wondered how I could survive because I was still hungry the moment I finished breakfast. But now I avoid carbs. I rarely feel hungry, my BG is much lower, and I'm much better. Some people can get away with 'resistant' carbohydrates, but in my experience just avoid them altogether.
I found the same. I changed to Almond and coconut milk mix and this helped.