1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Massive increase in blood sugar after breakfast

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by PEG 2, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Hughie 2

Hughie 2 Type 2 · Member

Thank you for your feedback, bulkbiker. There is contradictory advice out there, but most people seem to adopt a "find what works for you" approach, which is fair enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Of course you are confused. Most of us were when first diagnosed, but it gets better the more we learn.

If you do your research you will find that current experts in the field are telling us that avoiding dairy and saturated fats is wrong.
    The evidence on low fat is good, saturated fat is bad has been shown to be false. It is just taking the NHS and national dietary associations a while to catch up. These are just 3 websites. There are many more.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/31/bjsports-2016-097285

https://www.dietdoctor.com/saturated-fat-bad

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/04/carbohydrates-cardiovascular-disease/

3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a boatload of hereditary issues. Some will kill me early, some just mean pain. All. The. Time. So yeah, I know the feeling. I did get both my bloodsugar and my cholesterol under control with lchf, but my thyroid's being a b****, so I've been gaining weight. Which means I'm going to try Keto next! 20 grams of carbs a day, max... While I can't use any dairy products. So that's going to be a puzzle! Still, better that than not giving it a shot. There's plenty of options out there. Diets, medication... This is what's working for me. (HbA1c a nice non-diabetic 38 and dropping, cholesterol these days perfectly fine. I just hate that I'm gaining weight again. In spite of all the rabbitfood.). Doesn't mean it's what'll work for you. There are options out there... Just find whatever floats your boat. I desperately wanted to avoid insulin, the pills made me ill and ache... I didn't have any other viable choice than change my diet. Find what works for YOU.

4. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

You seem to have an unfortunate manner, Glitter? :).
    The people here are trying to give you the benefit of what works for them.
    There are not superior but have done their homework and have been guided in their approach by the results on their blood glucose meters.

You can take the advice or leave it, your under no compulsion whatsoever!
    I happened to take their advice a few years ago and have benefitted from it.

You and your family may be exceptional T2D's who can cope with insulin resistance and high blood glucose and live to be a hundred!

Many of us wish we had your kind of genes and didn't have to fight this disease! :) ;)
    D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stephenlopez

stephenlopez Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, if your blood sugar suddenly increased, it shows that you have to start caring for your condition even more. You have to look up your diet (including the breakfast) and make changes to it. You can about the diet changes from your doctor or a dietitian. All you need to do is focus on your health a bit more. Read this:

Taking Care of Diabetes

6. Sam50

Sam50 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

oooh rather like the sound of that 'pretend' porridge.....*goes off to jot down recipe* thank you x

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sam50

Sam50 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

www.dietdoctor.com check out this site in relation to cholesterol as it explains it very well. We have been conditioned to believe that 'fat' is bad when actually certain fats are very beneficial (even essential to health-especially brain health) Yes you are correct in that diabetes is a risk factor in CVD but only one factor, Cholesterol is mostly manufactured by the liver and not that influenced by what you are eating. It is not the 'bad' cholesterol which is harmful but the ratio between the good/bad/triglycerides which is important. Your overall cholesterol number is not as important as how it is broken down.

A far bigger risk to CVD would be obesity, smoking and stress, get in control of those factors and cholesterol is less of a worry. Eggs are full of protein and very good for you. Saturated fats, cheeses, cream etc help with satiety which is important when low carbing so you don't feel hungry. It takes you a while to get your head around how you can eat these things and lose weight)when combined with low carbing)...have a read around on the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  8. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

U did not mention the amount you have taken. It may be helpful to weigh the amount and record down to help u decide how much to reduce or they need to be eliminated. The last time i saw a 14mmol reading from my father's blood was when he took something like 70g carb in a meal. After i adjusted it to 30g or below per meal, i mostly see 8.5 or below.

9. stephenlopez

As everyone is talking about low carb diet here, yesterday I learned about keto diet plan. So, should I follow it? I have type-2 diabetes and it's been about 3 weeks since I was diagnosed with the condition.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would say yes

11. JoKalsbeek

My HbA1c was 38 while on low carb high fat, which I heartily reccomend, but due to thyroid issues my weight was creeping up again, after losing 20 kilo's. So I've stepped up my game a little and am trying keto since a few days... So far, so good...! And my meter is showing even better numbers than before. Even the numbers in the morning are becoming lower, which I never managed properly before. Really looking forward to my next labs! So yeah, keto might be worth it. Just be aware you might feel ill for a few days (as your body switches what to burn, carbs or fat), and if you're on drugs, be careful not to hypo. Your meter is your best buddy!

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

My thyroid doesn't work - but I was prescribed Thyroxine to compensate - have taken it for decades now, and that seems to fix it, no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoKalsbeek

(My levothyroxine dosage was off... Now the bloodwork is finally good and I don't have any other symptoms, just weight gain which I can't quite explain. Then again, could be down to the contraceptive I use to control my migraines... Hadn't thought of that before!)

14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

That's my favoured way of eating.. if you can follow it then go for it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tshirtmeister

tshirtmeister · Member

Fast for 3 weeks and you will be cured! Check the diet doctor or search Dr Jason Fung! His Videos convinced me to fast and Im in full remission! Im so thankful I tried it. 21 days was a *****. Although it was way harder to quit smoking. Last Friday I had Ham, Eggs, large order of Hash Browns with toast! Two hrs after the meal 120mg/dl. Works. Most days I skip the carbs, but once a week I go out and am OK glucose wise. Fasting three weeks was the best thing I ever did, BP is 110/70, COPD is better and Diabetes is on the run. It was harder to quit smoking than fast.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #55 tshirtmeister, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:46 PM
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  16. stephenlopez

17. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

They list potatoes under foods to avoid. I doubt that you could get into ketosis eating potatoes.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Remember that keto is not diabetic specific, some recipes may contain foods you can not tolerate.

• Like Like x 1
  19. richardterry

richardterry Type 2 · Newbie

I found the same. I changed to Almond and coconut milk mix and this helped.

20. lowedb

lowedb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting, though with so little milk I am sure the problem for me was the wheat.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook