Any decent low carb breakfast cereals out there?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It says on the box contains oat Beta-Glucan and that is supposed be good for Blood sugar.I don't test all time just a fasting one occasionally i can't afford keep buying strips i"m not working i bought the monitor and strips myself.

Hi Julie

There is some evidence that Beta-Glucans can make improvements in blood glucose
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25561108
This seems to be because they are soluble fibres, which, if taken in enough quantity, over a long enough period, may have a slightly lowering effect on blood glucose.
I expect that there is just enough evidence for Asda to be legally entitled to make the claim. There is also some evidence that Beta-Glucans are amongst the soluble fibres that help to lower cholesterol. This is why the claims are made on the packaging.

However, while those Ready Oats do indeed have Beta-Glucans in them, they ALSO have 23g carbs per 40g portion - and unless you are able to test what happens to your blood glucose after eating, you won't know if you can tolerate them or not.

You may not have many test strips for your meter, but if this is a breakfast that you intend to eat regularly, it is probably worth you testing your blood glucose before eating the porridge and then again at 2 hours after eating. That way you will know for certain whether that packet oat mix is OK for you.

If your blood glucose goes to high, don't despair, you can try other breakfasts. There are 100% rolled oats, which will spike less than your Ready Oats, but they will take a bit longer to prepare.

Alernatively, you can try some of the other cereal options suggested earlier in the thread.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julie27318

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For me its easy if I actually want to eat breakfast.. plain yogurt and frozen berries (defrosted night before in a ramekin)... quick and simple...

Reactions: hankjam

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
they aren't good for your blood sugars - that's a marketing ploy. don't fall for it. Oats spike blood sugars terribly.
Hi I agree these oats are bad ! The only oats possible are steel cut real oats which take longer to cook. Use a very small portion and read the packet info for the carbs..

mikele

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have organic oats with Chestnut Flower Honey and Goats Milk for breakfast without any blood sugar spikes. The carbs in Oats are very slow to be absorbed into the blood stream and are considered to be low GI.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I am a newby to all this finger pricking stuff but I am slowly getting used to things.

My biggest problem is breakfast. I am on the low carb diet which seems to be working (so far). I don't want my wife to end up cooking three times a day (I tend to leave more mess and pots so she kindly does the food). I've been having two shredded wheat with whole milk but I see on the pack, that even the shredded wheat is high in carbs.

Anyone know of a nice tasting breakfast cereal available in the UK. I'm a bit fussy in that I don't like dried fruit so that puts muesli out.

Advice would be fantastic

Many thanks

Paul
hi try avocado, cream, nuts like walnut or almond, bluberry strawberry etc
I sometimes have a tiny handful of all bran or wheat bran, with no milk but full cream and some water.... delicious

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
View attachment 26251 I get these from Asda for my Breakfast...but i'm confused bcos they are 33g of carbs in a 40mg serving with 200ml of semi skimmed milk (I used skimmed only) but what i'm getting at is how high the carb content is yet they are good for Blood sugar because they contain Oat Beta -Glucan
You can buy egg boilers, which take a measured amount of water , can do soft medium or hard, and have an alarm to let you know when they are ready...no mess

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have organic oats with Chestnut Flower Honey and Goats Milk for breakfast without any blood sugar spikes. The carbs in Oats are very slow to be absorbed into the blood stream and are considered to be low GI.
But how high does it send your blood glucose levels, and for how long?
Oats, honey and milk are things I need to avoid, along with other high carb foods, so as to keep my BG in the normal range.

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't drink full fat milk in tea it makes me puke!!!i could drink it on it's own but i want to lose weight and i think it's very fattening!!
Full fat milk and skimmed milk have very similar carb content, 4.7g and 5.0g per 100ml respectively. So it doesn't really matter which you have, more important is not to have too much.

Reactions: Julie27318

Jasmine-t1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a newby to all this finger pricking stuff but I am slowly getting used to things.

My biggest problem is breakfast. I am on the low carb diet which seems to be working (so far). I don't want my wife to end up cooking three times a day (I tend to leave more mess and pots so she kindly does the food). I've been having two shredded wheat with whole milk but I see on the pack, that even the shredded wheat is high in carbs.

Anyone know of a nice tasting breakfast cereal available in the UK. I'm a bit fussy in that I don't like dried fruit so that puts muesli out.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

If you enjoy cereal for breakfast like me ( it’s easy and mess free) I focus on having a LOW GI breakfast keeping me fuller for longer I often opt for porridge however not all are that low in carbs so it’s worth label checking, you can usually find one which is 20g of carbs per portion (you could also opt for a smaller portion) and add some fruit or nuts. I pop blueberries on mine and a drizzle of sweetener

Hope this helps
Jasmine x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul

If you enjoy cereal for breakfast like me ( it’s easy and mess free) I focus on having a LOW GI breakfast keeping me fuller for longer I often opt for porridge however not all are that low in carbs so it’s worth label checking, you can usually find one which is 20g of carbs per portion (you could also opt for a smaller portion) and add some fruit or nuts. I pop blueberries on mine and a drizzle of sweetener

Hope this helps
Jasmine x
Blueberrries are the highest carb of all the berries - best avoided really when there are lower carb options just as easily available.

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat Oatibix - but I wouldn't suggest anyone else does,

The most important thing for me was testing two hours after meals, so I could see which foods had which effects on my blood glucose. Testing acts like weighing scales and where would dieters be without them?

I was surprised that rice sent it up much more than I had expected for instance. I now have small portions.

So I knew what foods sent my BG up, rather than believe what someone else was telling me ( nurse, or not).

Good luck!

yorkshiremen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
buy two of those microwave egg cups crack 2 eggs in and boom boiled eggs with no mess I also have coffee with cream as part of breakfast and now I'm not on any medication.

Jasmine-t1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Paul

Hope this helps
Jasmine x

... I just fully read this thread and it seems lots of people are avoiding oats / porridge

I haven’t noticed that I have any Highs after my porridge I will note that I take my insulin around 15 mins before and make up my porridge with water. Everyone is different so it’s just finding what works for you and that you enjoy it!! Diabetes shouldn’t be a chore, Good Luck x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I just fully read this thread and it seems lots of people are avoiding oats / porridge

I haven’t noticed that I have any Highs after my porridge I will note that I take my insulin around 15 mins before and make up my porridge with water. Everyone is different so it’s just finding what works for you and that you enjoy it!! Diabetes shouldn’t be a chore, Good Luck x

That's great and all. But you are replying to a thread in the type 2 sub forum by an OP who is treating his diabetes with diet only.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many thanks

Paul
I know many here will not agree with this but if you really want cereal there is a range called Rude Health and they do a coconut granola with coconut flakes... but no dried fruit in it... spelt flakes chia seeds and a little bit of honey and is about 22gms of carbs per serving Many of the strict low carbers will say to high for them. I am moderate carbs so do eat it sometimes and get it in Sainsburys I don't know if the other supermarkets do it

Madge 2

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Please don't eat ANYTHING at breakfast time. Instead read 'Breakfast is a dangerous meal' by Professor Terence Kealey. It's a revelation.

Mr_Funnel_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Many thanks

Paul

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As you can see - there are those who cheerfully advise having a breakfast containing what can amount to a whole day's carb allowance for some eating a low carb diet - and they believe it is a 'healthy' choice.
Having had the same sort of advice from doctors and dieticians for over 40 years, I am not blaming people for just not believing that there are those who cannot eat carbs - we have to be either lying, or misguided or just plain ignorant of how much we need to find some way of eating carbs and not putting on weight or having other symptoms of carb intolerance - we need to find out how to behave properly.
There are those who can eat porridge - at least they do so and have not seen spikes - which is not the same as having a continuous readout of BG levels over the following hours - so do hope that they are able to deal with the carbs from cereals - but I will be eating the protein and fat foods, along with about 10 gm of carbs or maybe a little less - as I am confident that is what I need to eat to stay away from spikes and elevated BG levels in general.